Dummie Cake Idea's

Decorating By Becscakes Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 6:26am by EnjoyTheCake

Becscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becscakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:12am
post #1 of 9

Hi all! Just need some help and ideas for a cake.

I've just started a home Cake Decorating Business and have been in contact with a local bakery who thought it would be a great idea to put a dummie wedding cake in their window.
I agreed, but now im stumped for ideas...
Im not sure if i should do something simple or go all out to try and show what is possible.
Has anyone done this before and if so some ideas for where to start.

Thanks Rebecca

8 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 10:20am
post #2 of 9

Hi Rebecca, you can ideas from this site. There re gorgeuos cakes here. I like the idea of "Simple & Elegant".

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

MargaretG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MargaretG Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 9

I would do something simple, where repair is quite easy. You have issues of fading and people touching, yes they will. Keep it simple simon.
Margaretg

MargaretG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MargaretG Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 9

I would do something simple, where repair is quite easy. You have issues of fading and people touching, yes they will. Keep it simple simon.
Margaretg

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 9

Simple, but elegant and maybe something that's not overdone. I wouldn't add anything to it that you wouldn't be willing to duplicate. I know a couple of decorators that have done display cakes to make them over the top, but when they got orders for one like it, they didn't want to do it again. It also should be something that can be duplicated on any size or shape so it will fit budget and taste of everyone. You'll reach a bigger "audience" that way.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 9

I would think you want something with some color in it to grab attention from the street. Make it interesting enough to invite them into see more of the design.

Becscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becscakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks Guys for all your help! icon_biggrin.gif
I think i will keep it simple, plus it should cost less.
I was thinking i might put a small book of photo's of my other cakes with it that way people might flick through it.
So Simple but elegant!

Thanks
Rebecca

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 9

Yes, color does draw attention, but it also fades. I don't know what's worse, a plain white cake on display, or a faded color cake. (especially when you can see dust on it) You don't want to have to redo the cake whenever the color starts to get dull.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:26am
post #9 of 9

Don't use Red, Orange or Purple and your color won't fade as much. you can also air brush it and the airbrush doesn't fade as quickly as the icing would. Or if your icing starts to fade, spruce it up with air brushing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%