Diesel 10 From Thomas And Friends

Decorating By pipe-dreams Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 12:26am by silly_nutty

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:50am
post #1 of 3

I have to make a 3-D cake of diesel 10. He is an engine from thomas and friends. I've seen a ton of Thomas cakes, but none of diesel 10. The problem is that he's not a regular train, so I can't use the choo choo pan. The bottom part of the train is thinner than the top, so is it possible to duplicate that with a cake, without it breaking or crumbling in? Does anyone have experience with a cake like this? Please, any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Oh, also, what color would you say he is? How would you make that color?
LL

2 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:27am
post #2 of 3

this may help.

1st -- I would advise that the black area under the main body be a piece of styrofoam covered in black fondant and the wheels attached to that. On top of that would be the cake board and then the cake.

but...

if you insist it ALL has to be edible...

then the black area is the bottom tier, then a cakeboard, and then the top tier (main body) -- with proper internal supports of course.

the top is cantilevered over the bottom -- doesn't have to be a whole lot -- just enough for space for wheels on sides (as they seem flush w/ main body) and for the bumper in front and coupling in back --- so about one inch to 2 inches depending upon how big your going to make it.

---

but again -- a styrofoam base would be safest!

fyi: if only need 24 or so party servings (2x2), then a 9x13 sheet cake split in half and stack on self would be more than enough for the main body. Just trim the upper layer back a bit to get the nose.

----

as for his arm -- gumpaste over wire, wire attached to dowel that goes through cake to base (again easier to do with styrofoam base)

HTH
LL

silly_nutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silly_nutty Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:26am
post #3 of 3

But I am going to do a rectangular, cube cake and then stick te wheels on the sides, cut out of either liqorice, or something else. I am really looking forward to doing it.
I was also going to make pale chocolate icing, with a tinge of green in it to get that grubby brown colour. I actually think it is going to be one of the easiest cakes I have ever done. (Anything has to be easy after Mr 7's Spiderman request)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%