I Am Discouraged!!!!

Decorating By mrsfish94 Updated 18 Aug 2005 , 3:20am by sunlover00

mrsfish94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfish94 Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 21

I have given estimate after estimate for wedding cakes. None to pricey and none to low. And I have yet to get a Wedding cake order icon_cry.gif

I even had a bride who wanted me to make a basic cake with no decorations because the bride wanted to put sugared fruit on it herself. She sampled my cake at a party...loved it and I gave her an estimate for her wedding cake a few days later. Her wedding is this weekend so I obivously I didn't get the order icon_confused.gif

My cakes taste great....I think they look good...so why... oh why can't I get wedding cake orders? Has anyone here...had a business that has never done a wedding cake???

20 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 21

This happened to me when I got started. People loved the birthday cakes and novelty cakes...but a wedding cake? Nobody wanted to "trust" me with their most important cake! icon_cry.gif

I solved the problem my making a few styrofoam wedding cakes and photographing them for clients to see. So they assumed I had done weddings before! icon_wink.gif

Pretty soon, you'll have an album you can show them...which puts their mind at ease. thumbs_up.gif

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 21

Mrsfish,

I can't understand why. By looking at your photos I think you do beautiful work. You are quite talented. Hang in there!! I had done cakes for a few years before my sister talked me into doing her wedding cake which was my first. I was nervous and she said think of it as 3 seperate cakes put together!! I have been doing wedding cakes ever since!!
Be patient the orders will come!!

~Luraleigh~

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 21

MrsFish, Just be patient~ A wedding cake will come your way one day!! I have never done a baby shower cake & I'm wanting to do one sooooo bad!!! I'm thinking of doing one just for the heck of it!! So that's an idea, do a wedding cake for the heck of it!!

Much Luck to you~

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 1:38am
post #5 of 21

I've never done a wedding cake either. I did do an anniversary cake for my neice which I really enjoyed doing.

I just can't seem to get away from character cakes icon_cry.gif and move into the adult world icon_wink.gif

Still hoping.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 1:42am
post #6 of 21

Your work looks wonderful. I do know people are picky with their wedding cakes. And if you dont have several that they can see that you have done...they would be very nervous. Maybe you could do a freebie or 2 donate one to a couple on a budget at your church or something? icon_smile.gif And as was mentioned above decorate a few dummies and take some pics. Something to build your portfolio.I know it seems like a lot of trouble to do free stuff. But sometimes it is the only way to get your work seen and your name out there. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 1:52am
post #7 of 21

mrsfish94, your cakes are beautiful!!!! Don't worry...a wedding cake order will come probably when you least expect it! I advertise in my area and get LOTS of kids cakes. There are so many kids around here and I have to just wait until a wedding customer surfaces! I did a baby shower cake for a lady this weekend and she told me she passed my card on to someone that was getting married. Just keep passing out your cards...and someday you will be asked to do a wedding cake. Keep making those gorgeous cakes! thumbs_up.gif
traci

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 2:01am
post #8 of 21

I agree with the others about having some pictures of wedding cakes in your portfolio. I would never hire someone to do my wedding cake if I thought I was their first ever wedding cake. Put yourself in the bride's shoes and I'm sure you'd make the same choice. BUT, if she can see that you've done it before in a picture, those worries go away. icon_smile.gif

The idea of doing one or two free or at cost for low budget weddings at your church is wonderful. Once the word gets out, get your pencil sharpened and your Kitchen Aid ready to go!

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 2:59am
post #9 of 21

I also agree w/everyone else. Make a few sample wedding cakes....use a cake dummy if you need too. It'll be fun practicing a wedding cake....you can do whatever YOU want!! No input from a stressed out bride!!

Good luck!!

mrsfish94 Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 3:44am
post #10 of 21

Thanks for the encouragment everyone!!! icon_biggrin.gif I will probably end up making a couple of wedding cake dummies. That really is a great idea.

Thanks again!!!! icon_lol.gif

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 4:00am
post #11 of 21

Brides are fussy......I offered to do a wedding cake for FREE this summer for a girl who works in the auto repair shop. I brought in sample cakes, and she and her family raved about them, but she never called to say she wanted me to do her cake. I mean, it was FREE!!! All I asked is that she give out my business cards to customers coming into her dad's shop. NADA!!! Oh, well, her loss.

I think you do terrific cakes, and I agree with everyone else....just do a few wedding cakes for the heck of it. That is what I have been doing. I've only done two wedding cakes for actual weddings: My own and my brothers wedding. But I have about 6 wedding cakes I've done just because I want the experience. I think the right marketing strategies can also help...a gorgeous website, a nice group of photos, brochures with photos in them, etc. When I get my kitchen licensed, I am going to take a mini wedding cake to all the bridal shops in the area on Saturday morning, along with my card and brochures. They will be happy because they can eat cake, and hopefully, they will pass on my name and card to the brides-to-be. I also heard of doing a cake testing. Oh, and don't forget teachers.....we are big cake eaters!! GEt out a sample cake to the local school and put it in the teachers lounge with your brochure.......they'll be thrilled, trust me, and would be happy to pick up your card. Anyway, just some thoughts! If you want to email and trade ideas, I'd be happy to!!

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 1:56pm
post #12 of 21

What helped me was I did my daughter's wedding cake.... And I always mention the fact that I took advanced cake decorating classes too...
Plus, putting a little powder sugar on yourself and go somewhere, and say.... Excuse me for how I look, but I'm busy making a wedding cake......etc... get the picture...
I just so happened to be one of the photographers at the wedding last week in which I also did her wedding cake... It was a big hit...and I got an order from on of the bridal party girls for her wedding next Sept....
Good luck, you'll be getting orders left and right before you know it....
cakegal

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 2:05pm
post #13 of 21

mrsfish94 ---
Your cakes are beautiful but I think you're in the same position I am. Everyone sees your beautiful work, but a lack of wedding cakes. Like someone else said, would you pick you if you knew it was your first wedding cake?? Doesn't mean you can't do it, but they never know. They want a professional. So what I'm getting ready to start working on is dummy cakes. I've been looking around to get some ideas and I figured I'm just going to start making them up, all different sorts. Hubby thought I was crazy but then I mentioned to him, if all that work, time and money pays off, isn't it worth it?? When I first started doing cakes I had this horrible habit of not charging enough b/c I was just getting started or acting "unsure" about designs people requested. My mother-in-law (of all people) also decorates cakes, and told me one you have to act like it's no big deal to you and you've done tons of them!
So let's get busy!!
Good luck to you, I know how you feel icon_smile.gif

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 21

I agree with everyone else - your cakes are beautiful so it's probably just the fact that the brides need to see some of your work on a wedding cake. Having pictures to show would be a sure-fire way of exuding the confidence that comes with having done a wedding cake before. And, they don't have to be all that big, but try some different techniques so that you are actually getting that experience! You would actually be accomplishing 2 things at once! Hang in there - you'll get a wedding cake order soon, I just know it! thumbs_up.gif

mrsfish94 Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 3:13pm
post #15 of 21

Great ideas!!! icon_lol.gif Yes, I will do a few dummie cakes. I think I will use my square boxes first...since I have those laying around the house. I tend to make more frosting then I need so, this will be a great way to use it up before I have to throw it away.

Thanks again for all the encouragment!!!

And I'll post when all my dummy cakes are done....and if I get that Wedding cake order. thumbs_up.gif

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 3:32pm
post #16 of 21

I would definitely to some dummy cakes... You need to show people that you can do wedding cakes. Sometimes I come down in price if someone wants a cake that I've never done and I want the business... To me, it's worth it since I get the experience and I can add the picture to my portfolio. I think I charged $1 per slice for my first wedding cake.

I really think you'll have better luck after you have done a few dummy cakes and put the pictures in your portfolio!!

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 6:40pm
post #17 of 21

Here's another thing to remember....if a bride/groom are having their reception at a hotel or club.......and they are having that facility cater for them.....part of the catering cost INCLUDES the wedding cake....some places will allow you to "go outside" and order a wedding cake but that price DOES NOT come off of their catering bill....so why would they want to pay for something twice......also, some places will not allow an outside person to bring in a cake.....it MUST be done by their catering staff.......some brides have family/friends make their wedding cake as their gift.......

Don't get discouraged..........there could be a lot of reasons out there that have nothing to do with your talent or quality thumbs_up.gif

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 6:51pm
post #18 of 21

Cakegal,
I loved your idea about putting on powdered sugar and telling people that you're busy making a wedding cake!!!! I couldn't stop giggling when I read it!
What a great idea
Daniela

loree001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loree001 Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 7:05pm
post #19 of 21

Another idea...Do a real cake. Put yourself into it, three-tiered, beautiful work...different flavors and fillings for each tier, go with what the young bride's seem to want now, fondant look, minimalistic decorating style or gift-present style, you know, go all out but in a look that is popular.

Then, bring it to the local hospital, the business office or one of the nurses break rooms. Here you have a group of young nurses, young ward clerks, and also a group of MOB's, sisters of brides, friends of brides. The cake will get dispersed throughout the hospital, the employees will rant and rave, they'll appreciate the cake, and they'll probably post your cards in all the break rooms, or let you do it. It will really help if you know someone that works at the hospital, and tell them in advance what you want to do, they'll tell you when a good time to do this would be, tell them you are entering a contest or a wedding show or whatever and wanted to make a practice cake but didn't want it to go to waste.

This is an excellent place to reach people! My friend, who posts on here, LJBerry, works in a hospital, and you wouldn't believe how many orders she gets from just bringing cakes up to the hospital. These people EAT and TALK, word of mouth! (We brought a wedding cake there one time right after a wedding show, this is where the idea came from!)

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 7:08pm
post #20 of 21

Good idea loree001,
A hospital is a place I wouldn've never thought of to get business.

Daniela

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 3:20am
post #21 of 21

I was going to say the same thing! Bake and decorate a "real" wedding cake and take it somewhere with business cards. Maybe where you work or where your hubby works.

All you need is one order and then you'll take off!

My first wedding cake was for a friend of my daughter's. I never knew her or saw here but got two other wedding bookings from hers.

Last year I did 6 weddings and this year, I've got 6 on the books and the year is not over!

Someday, you'll be turning them down. I know it. thumbs_up.gif
Hang in there! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%