Instant Pudding Or Cooked Pudding?

Decorating By neecerator Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 6:02pm by neecerator

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 14

Hello Friends: Do you use instant pudding mix or the cooked pudding mix in with your boxed cakes to add moisture?

13 replies
Jeannie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannie21 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 14

I always use the instant...maybe its just me but Ive never heard of using the cooked mix. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

brannendeville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brannendeville Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 14

I have always used the instant.

neecerator Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 14

Thank you! So I've seen where people add pudding mix and one extra egg. Have you two tried this? And what were/are your results? Thanks for your help!

Jeannie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannie21 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:33am
post #5 of 14

Hmm ive never added an extra egg...but it cant hurt to try! Im pretty sure it would just make the cake "fluffier" but not by too much.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:07am
post #6 of 14

I've heard to use the instant, but by mistake, I purchased the cooked and I couldn't tell any difference. HTH.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:14am
post #7 of 14

I always use instant except for one recipe I have that specifies using the cook and serve pack. I picked up a method here a long time ago that I almost always go by and my cakes always come out moist, yet sturdy enough for stacking.

Add pudding mix and if the cake mix calls for 1 1/3 c water add an extra 1/3 c, if it calls for 1 1/4 add an extra 1/4 etc. I know it doesn't fit the perfect science of baking but people always love the way my cakes taste. Good luck!

brannendeville Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:14pm
post #8 of 14

When I have added a box of pudding I always have added an extra egg. and it tastes great. Moist but still firm!

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 14

I use the instant pudding and I always add an extra egg. I love the results that it gives, moist but yet firm if I need to do any carving.

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:31pm
post #10 of 14

Hello All,

I am still very new and just starting to build up my recipes. Adding pudding sounds very tasty!! Can you share some of your recipes with me? Please email them to me at [email protected] or just tell me if they are posted here on CC.

Thanks

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:36am
post #11 of 14

In my wilton class the instructor gave us a recipe to use cook and serve pudding to the wilton "dream cake" mix. You also use ice cold water, room temp. eggs, oil and a packet of dream whip. It comes out rich, moist and firm like pound cake. Great for sculpting.

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:47am
post #12 of 14

I've flipped back and forth between instant pudding and the kind that needs to be cooked. I've never been able to tell the difference. Watch the extra egg at higher elevations... I've had a little trouble with that in the mountains.

brannendeville Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:13pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4littlewops

In my wilton class the instructor gave us a recipe to use cook and serve pudding to the wilton "dream cake" mix. You also use ice cold water, room temp. eggs, oil and a packet of dream whip. It comes out rich, moist and firm like pound cake. Great for sculpting.

Can you please post this? I am trying to find a good sculpting recipe that doesn't taste dry, and haven't had any luck.

neecerator Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:02pm
post #14 of 14

THank you, I made 2 boxed cakes together, and I added 2 instant vanilla pkgs. and 2 more eggs. It turned out just fine. Moist and firm. I never thought to add more water, but thank God, it turned out ok. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%