Yay! Booked My First Tasting!!

Business By tarheelgirl Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 7:23pm by tarheelgirl

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 8

FINALLY! After 2 wedding cakes for friends I have a "real" wedding. icon_biggrin.gif I have 2 weeks to gather the proper stuff together. I have my wedding contract which I will present to the bride if she decides to place her order. Is it necessary to take a portfolio of all the cakes I have made? She viewed them on my website. Only 2 wedding cakes will be in it. I will take a pricing list along with flavors/fillings for her to choose from. She lives about 3 hours away so we are doing the tasting on a Saturday. I want to be organized. Did I miss anything??

7 replies
kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:52am
post #2 of 8

Congratulations!! Your cakes are beautiful, by the way. I love your avatar. icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:37am
post #3 of 8

Three hours? Who is coming to whom?

Oh oh oh I get the two wedding cake thing now. Yes take those and take other wedding cake picture books you have. Yes, I would take my entire portfolio.

I hope your contract is nice & concise with a minimum of "ifs".

You need to be ready to say hard things. For example, "That will be three thousand dollars." As casually as if you'd say, 'pass the salt, please'.

If the cake she wants is frightening to you with some technique you haven't done yet or something. Give her a ball park price and say you'll get back to her within 24 hours for the final quote.

Take control in a nice way but advise her. She's (probably) never bought a cake like this before. You are the pro. If she wants cream cheese icing
for an outside wedding in August advise her of the risk and suggest fondant or whatever. Guide her to a good decison for a sound cake and one that is mostly within your skill level.

Congratulations!!!

tarheelgirl Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks ladies! icon_biggrin.gif She sounds pretty easy to deal with. They are having a May wedding in a garden. Nothing too fancy smanchy she said.. ummm, how can I NOT do that! LOL She wants to have my vanilla buttercream icing with just yellow cake. I will have a couple samples with different fillings. I guess chocolate ganache filling would not be appropriate for the heat in May in NC! LOL I was thinking of some fruity fillings. Strawberry, raspberry.. Def something that will hold up to the heat.

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 8

Tarheel Girl
Where are you In NC Im in Monroe , Ps make sure if you have to deliver this cake 3 hours away to include that in the cost of the cake!!!!!. and congrats!

tarheelgirl Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 8

OH no.. I am not delivering the cake 3 hours away! I think I would die! LOL

She lives 3 hours away but her fiance is from my area. They are having the wedding about 10 miles from me.

I am in Kure Beach!

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 8

Congrats!!! Your cakes are beautiful, and you'll do fine!

I have a harder time dealing with "them" than I ever have with the "caking" ! Esp. when they have such a "sad" story, like how they want a 3 course dinner but only have enuff for a Happy Meal! "O, I cant afford this 3 tier cake at a "real" Bakery, icon_mad.gif thats WHY I called YOU! *ARGH* ...
but K8memphis is so right, be strong! And congrats!!!!!

tarheelgirl Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 8

No, I have a set pricing on my servings. This is how much they are per serving and I won't go lower! There are not that many around here that do fondant. Only big time bakeries and they charge a arm and a leg. I just started about 6 months ago so I am slowly building my business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%