Painting On Fondant?

Decorating By Cakeonista Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 2:25am by baycheeks1

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:11am
post #1 of 5

hi ccer's,
i would like to decorate this cake i am making with vibrant colors and am wondering if i can just paint the food coloring on white fondant? not sure if i should dilute the colors with extract or just use straight out of the jar? also after completing the colors would love to give it that pearlized look....... can i just brush entire cake with luster dust after my colors have thoroughly dried? i would love to get an airbrush machine but dont have one yet. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks mary

4 replies
KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:16am
post #2 of 5

I painted Wilton colors directly onto the tiger cake in my pics. It never completely dried and became really sticky. At the party people had black all over thier lips! I've heard you can use vodka and it will dry faster....hopefully someone else knows more!

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:22am
post #3 of 5

ok....if you want to paint on white fondant here is what you do

get little cups, add some food coloring, and then dilute with vodka...

if you want to add a pearl all over the cake, then add some to each of the color you want to make pearl...

you can also use airbrush paint... it is diluted food coloring, and dries fast... and if you want to add pearl you can use the airbrush pearl as well...

if you need any other cakes, i have done more than my fair share of painted cakes...

pm me or email me at [email protected]

hth... lesley

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:23am
post #4 of 5

I use vodka with gel food colors, luster dusts or petal dusts. Dries very fast!

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:25am
post #5 of 5

I know Ihave painted on fondat straight with like the Wilton colors...took several days to dry though...not sure about luster dusting the entire cake after coloring has dried. I think airbrushing would be best...still tryin to figure out an alternative for airbrushing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%