Pre-Inspection Questions

Business By GateauGirl Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 11:59pm by -Tubbs

GateauGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GateauGirl Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:58am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

Back into trying to get my business off the ground...these financial times have been a deterrent, but I am trying to forge ahead despite the fact that my old house's contract fell through and we are now paying 2 mortgages. (Maybe what I need to ask for is real estate help instead)!

Here are my questions as I consider preparing for an inspection:

- How do you store your cakes? Do you box them in the fridge? We have only 1 fridge - our main one - and I know it's preferable to separate the cakes from everyday food, but this is all we've got for now.
- How do you transport your cakes? In bakery boxes or something else? I've seen people put them in the clear plastic bins you would use for storage...put the cake on the box top, then secure the box on top of that, kind of like a dome.
- Do you provide flow charts for each & every recipe? (If I add a new recipe to my repertoire, I assume I need to contact the health dept. each time...?)
- How do you establish your product codes? Do you have a system?

More questions in a separate post. Thank you in advance!!

3 replies
GateauGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GateauGirl Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 4

Anyone??

No-goodLazyBum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
No-goodLazyBum Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 4

Sorry to bump, but I need the same questions answered too ... ASAP. icon_biggrin.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 4

Sorry you haven't had any answers to your questions - CC has been in and out a bit.

I cannot answer specifically, but I do know that here you MUST have a separate fridge for your business items. Are you talking about a bake-from-home legal business or do you have to have a separate kitchen?

Regarding transportation, everything has to be food-safe. Not all plastic bins are, so you might want to rethink that. Also, I have never heard of needing to make a flow-chart for every recipe. Can't think why that would be required. Maybe a chart to show cleaning procedures?

But really, the best person to help you would be your local health inspector, since they will be familiar with every aspect of getting legal. I find ours really helpful and approachable, so if you haven't spoken to them much, don't be shy.

Good luck with your business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%