Cake Boards

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 2:14pm by BlakesCakes

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:36am
post #1 of 25

Just wondering, what do all of you use to cover your cake boards??

24 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:55am
post #2 of 25

I usually use freezer paper.

Jeaucl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeaucl Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:07am
post #3 of 25

We use wrapping paper or tin foil, which I can't stand. I have seen vinyl table cloths, pretty much anything that you can put on a table would work I guess.

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:19am
post #4 of 25

I use Wilton Fanci Foil (I will only buy it with a coupon from Michael's or Joann's because it's expensive). I also use wrapping paper or scrapbooking paper covered over with a layer of clear contact paper so the grease doesn't soak the paper.

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:19am
post #5 of 25

Freezer paper? What's that?

And wrapping paper? Do you put something over that?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:33am
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkoenig07

Freezer paper? What's that?

And wrapping paper? Do you put something over that?

Freezer paper is sometimes called butcher paper I think. It is in the grocery store in the same section as the foil, wax paper, Ziplock bags, etc. It is white on both sides, but has a plastic coating on one side and that side goes up so grease doesn't soak through. I use it all the time.

CareyI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CareyI Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:41am
post #7 of 25

I use scrapbook paper & wrapping paper all the time and I just cover it with clear contact paper. I have also been known to paint the board and then cover with contact paper.

shelli72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelli72 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:41am
post #8 of 25

I use wrapping paper or fanci foil. The wrapping paper sometimes soaks up the grease from the butter, but sometimes it doesn't. I guess it might depend on how long it sits on it and the colors.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:41am
post #9 of 25

I love using wrapping paper covered with contact paper because I can match the theme of the cake. I get a lot of it super cheap at the dollar store. I did a Harley cake with Harley gift wrap that I got at the Harley store. I used a lace gift wrap to go with a vintage hat box. It really completes the look.

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 4:29am
post #10 of 25

Either wrapping paper with contact paper over it or fancy foil which I have in every color.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:26am
post #11 of 25

Very important that cake not directly touch wrapping paper, scrapbook paper, or fanci-foils (other than those that Wilton makes) because those items can contain lead in the colors and the lead can leach out into the food.

Rae

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:38am
post #12 of 25

BlakesCakes, that's a very good point. I always cover mine with contact paper because I don't want the oil to soak into the paper and make it ugly, but I hadn't even thought about the non-food safe dye in the paper.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:47am
post #13 of 25

Wilton foil on the bottom cardboard. Cardboards "inside" a cake ... nothing.

patrice2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrice2007 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:57am
post #14 of 25

I like to cover mine with fabric then clear contact paper. I had not thought about wrapping paper....will have to give that a try. Thanks

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:43pm
post #15 of 25

I use Florist Foil. It's usually colored on both sides and comes in a wide variety of colors. Some florists will sell it in pieces or you can get in rolls at a florist wholesale supplier. intotheoven.com also sells it. I've tried the wrapping paper covered with contact paper, but I have a problem getting the contact smooth because it wants to stick to everything, what's the secret to this?

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:10pm
post #16 of 25

The subject of clear contact paper to cover over wrapping paper, etc has come up many times on CC. When it does, I always copy an email that I received from the makers of the Contact Paper and I would like to post it once again. I had emailed the Kittrich Company and posed the question to them about the safety of placing a cake on top of the clear contact paper. The response is below. If you are still going to use contact paper, it would be a good idea to at least have a cake board under your cake (same size as your cake) and place the board on top of the contact paper so that your cake does not come into direct contact with the paper.

Hi Margie,

Contact Paper is made of PVC VYNIL. We do not recommend this to be used in Direct contact with food. I do have other customers that are doing the same thing with our paper, and although we have not received any complaints in regards to this type of use, we still must give you caution.

Thanks,

Have a Great Day!

Teena Leyva

Kittrich Corporation

Customer Service Dept.

714-736-1057 phone

714-736-2157 fax

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:20pm
post #17 of 25

Do most people use nothing on the cardboards inside the cakes (like Indy does)? I've always covered mine with freezer wrap too--being afraid that they'd get too soggy or make the cake taste like cardboard! I also cover the base board with freezer paper.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:26pm
post #18 of 25

Diane, I always cover all my boards for the exact reasons you just mentioned.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:31pm
post #19 of 25

Thanks too for the info about contact paper Margie! I always have covered my wooden cake boards with contact paper for ease of cleaning, but then cover that with freezer paper or Wilton Foil. Is Floral foil food safe or is it the exact same thing that Wilton sells?

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:31pm
post #20 of 25

We used waxed covered board for most cakes, but for Wedding, specialty cakes or cakes that need a sturdier board there are lots you can do. Cake drums that are about 1/4 inch thick and are covered in foil. For our bigger cakes we cover a peice of plywood with plastic table cloth, fabric, wrapping paper (if wrapping paper or fabric is used we then place a peice of clear plastic tablecloth on top.) We always place a waxed cake board under all cakes on any type of boards just so you don't cut into the foil or plastic and get in on the cakes.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:37pm
post #21 of 25

I do tissue paper, wrapping paper, vinyl table cloths.. I cover those with a clear cellophane that is food safe.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm
post #22 of 25

"clear cellophane that is food safe"

tarheelgirl, where do you get food safe cellophane that is heavy enough to use on a cake board? Thanks!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:36pm
post #23 of 25

I buy it from Michaels. If you check the label it says FDA approved! Comes in a roll like wrapping paper and last for a good amount of cake boards.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:28pm
post #24 of 25

We've tried a variety of things from the fancy Wilton boards to the Wilton foil to just a plain board and decorate the heck out of it. We've also covered them in fondant.

Recently, I was reading some of Colette Peter's books (Christmas presents---oh, how I love cake decorating books for Christmas presents!)---and she uses royal icing tinted a matching or off-set but coordinating color on the board....We're going to give that a try sometime.

There are so many ways to do it. Try to match it to the theme of the event.

HTH

Paul (& Peter)

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:14pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

Is Floral foil food safe or is it the exact same thing that Wilton sells?

No, in general, florist/floral foil is NOT food safe. The colors used in it often contain lead. There are some out there that are food safe, but they are uber expensive and hard to find.

I often use regular florist foil for my decorative boards. I just make certain that I have a regular cake board between the cake and the foil.

Wilton is very proud of the fact that their silver and gold foils are food safe.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%