Decorating By vanz Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 3:17pm by MrsMissey

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:17pm
post #61 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy

Would it have been hard - probably not. BUT, what if this person's 4 year old wasn't as well behaved?? What if he/she could not sit there quietly and be content to play with some fondant?? Is it fair to the instructor and EVERYONE else in the class that has paid good money to learn????

The behavior of the child obviously was assumed to be bad, judging by the many harsh posts.

I still don't understand why the instructor couldn't have just been like "Okay this ONE time, but not any more". You don't just send somebody home!

It seems you are more concerned with the OP's feeling and problems. But what about the rest of the class? Does it matter that they showed up on time and prepared and deserve a distraction free learning experience?

My friend thinks her son is well behaved, but having a conversation with her while we are at lunch with her son demonstrates otherwise. Neither of us can get through a complete sentence without being distracted by him in some way (dropping a crayon, his food, wanting a drink, etc.). Young children ARE a distraction and should not be allowed in a learning environment. The rest of the students deserve to get their money's worth. They left their children at home and arrived on time. Why is it that the OP should be accommodated and not those who did the "right thing"?

It's nice that everyone is so concerned about the OP's problems - but what if it were one of the other students who came here to complain that someone came in late with a 4 year old and they couldn't concentrate - and now couldn't get their money back because they sat through the 1st class and learned almost nothing because of the distractions? What would the consensus be then?

I don't see the posts as being harsh - just matter-of-fact. I am certainly not angry, but perhaps my posts are viewed that way simply because I am not coating everything I say with a candy coating and some wax (for shine!) ... this isn't a bag of M&M's though. It's real life. And sometimes the truth hurts. Sorry.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:25pm
post #62 of 137

Has anyone bothered to even ask the OP if her child was bad?

All the instructor would have had to do is say "Its ok this one time, but if the child begins to be a distraction, I'll have to ask you to leave."

That way you aren't kicking out a paying customer...yet surely everyone else should be able to learn.

Someone else mentioned a distracting cell phone...Yep in my class I had several "distracting cell phones", plus "distracting" store employees eating chips for break. Plus everyone was late, all the time. Its one of those things. Life isn't perfect, and sometimes you have to work out compromises to the best of your ability. I don't think "kicking out" an unsuspecting, harried mother was a very nice compromise. They didn't even give the child the chance to sit quietly and behave.

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:27pm
post #63 of 137

Thank you all for your replies. I took time to read everyone's opinion. I guess the problem is, I expected other ppl to treat me like I would treat them.

My husband stayed longer in church that day (due to unavoidable circumstances) so I have to give my 3 mo. old son to my friend & had to take my daughter with me cause my friend has her own kids too..... I just didn't want to miss the class that day.

I went to Course I & II & teacher allowed kids. I haven't heard of "no kids" policy in Wilton Class.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:30pm
post #64 of 137

I'm again going to defend the teacher since she isn't here to defend herself.

IF THAT WERE ME, I'D BE WRITTEN UP FOR ALLOWING THAT CHILD TO ATTEND THE CLASS! With enough write up's I would be fired with no exception.

What if this teach has a store manager like mine? What if she's already made that allowance and taken a write up for it and if she was told if she would have allowed it again she'd be fired?

You guys want to say that this WMI should have made an exception but what if like me she can't?

Not all WMI's do this for a "fun" job for "play" money. Some of us do it for grocery money, rent/mortgage payments, and it is a "real" job because we need the money and this job allows us the schedule we need for our family time.

So all of you who believe this WMI should have made the exception... are you really saying that she should very possibly put her job on the line for a student and her 4 year old?

Again, I say that the WMI may have needed to be more tactful but none of us are in the lives of the OP or the WMI so we are hearing one side of a multi sided conversation.

Michael's policy is there for a reason but like many other corporate policies not all managers follow it. Some may not care if you bring kids and ignore the rule while others will follow that rule no matter what.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:45pm
post #65 of 137

If that indeed is a Michael's rule, then it should be told to the customer up front when they sign up.

Many, if not most, Wilton students are moms. So it would be logical to warn them ahead of time that they cannot take the class unless they have someone to watch their kids.

I understand if the WMI would have gotten in trouble for allowing the child. However on the other hand, Michaels should be a bit more clear on their rules, because here we have a mom who made last minute arrangements for her baby and rushed to class, since she paid for it and wanted to get there. Its kind of sad that she had to just turn around and go home after all that.

Rules are rules...but there are ways of enforcing rules that are at least kind and thoughtful. At the very least, the WMI could have said, "I'm sorry, Michaels has a rule against allowing children in the classes. I am in no position to allow your child in here, but if you'd like to go talk to the manager about your situation, and he allows you to come, I'd be happy to catch you up on what you missed for 15 minutes after class." Or something. Gee....can't people be nice anymore?

OhMyGanache Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:52pm
post #66 of 137

Why is it the responsibility of the store to go over every possible scenario? It is a PAID class! Which means, if one person pays, ONE PERSON attends. I wouldn't buy a concert ticket and assume I could bring my little one because I couldn't find a sitter.

If the parent was worried about arranging childcare, then it's the parent's responsibility to inquire about the policies regarding bringing children to class.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:23pm
post #67 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleKitten

Why is it the responsibility of the store to go over every possible scenario? It is a PAID class! Which means, if one person pays, ONE PERSON attends. I wouldn't buy a concert ticket and assume I could bring my little one because I couldn't find a sitter.

If the parent was worried about arranging childcare, then it's the parent's responsibility to inquire about the policies regarding bringing children to class.

But it's not a concert, it is a class geared toward homemakers, in a store that also holds craft days for kids (uh, and makes a fortune in sales off all those kid crafts as well). I don't think it's unreasonable to think that bringing a kid in a pinch would be a big deal.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:29pm
post #68 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleKitten

But it's not a concert, it is a class geared toward homemakers, in a store that also holds craft days for kids (uh, and makes a fortune in sales off all those kid crafts as well). I don't think it's unreasonable to think that bringing a kid in a pinch would be a big deal.

I agree.

My short experience as a WMI showed me that flexibility was a must in these classes. Granted, it wasn't for Michaels, and they may have different rules...but I pretty much had to play things by ear with my students. Many of them had different life struggles or busy schedules that made them a little late, or having to miss, etc. I usually tried to work around it as best as possible.

It didn't kill me.

I will say I don't teach anymore though LOL! Too hard to schedule around my family!

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:31pm
post #69 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Oh boy.

icon_biggrin.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:35pm
post #70 of 137

yup. What else was there to say?

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:37pm
post #71 of 137

I feel bad that the OP was embarrassed but as someone who loaths kids i have to say that if i paid to go to a class that involves concentration and costs money and is for adults, etc i wouldnt be happy if kids were allowed. what if three of four people decided to bring them cause they couldnt find a sitter? i personally dont believe that even the best behaved 4 year old could sit completly quietly during a class like this and as someone who has had to walk out of the cinema due to people bring 5 or 6 year olds to a 12 or 15 cert film, or listening to whiny loud kids in adult restaurants i do understand the no kids policy. for some adults the class would be a break from their own kids, or a lovely escape doing something they really enjoy and the last thing they would want is peoples children in the background.

It was just a bad situation for the OP and again, im sorry you were embarrassed.

OhMyGanache Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:40pm
post #72 of 137

I will agree to disagree. Before I start pulling my hair out in frustration.

I like my hair, it's puuuuuuuurrrdy and I'd like to keep it. icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:49pm
post #73 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy24

I feel bad that the OP was embarrassed but as someone who loaths kids i have to say that if i paid to go to a class that involves concentration and costs money and is for adults, etc i wouldnt be happy if kids were allowed. what if three of four people decided to bring them cause they couldnt find a sitter? i personally dont believe that even the best behaved 4 year old could sit completly quietly during a class like this and as someone who has had to walk out of the cinema due to people bring 5 or 6 year olds to a 12 or 15 cert film, or listening to whiny loud kids in adult restaurants i do understand the no kids policy. for some adults the class would be a break from their own kids, or a lovely escape doing something they really enjoy and the last thing they would want is peoples children in the background.

It was just a bad situation for the OP and again, im sorry you were embarrassed.

Gee. A person who loathes kids. What a nice thing to say.

I personally loathe irresponsible parents who cannot train their kids, and give kids a bad name.

And yes...my 8, 6, and 3 year olds DO sit quietly with me in church for an entire hour and a half...the baby stays in the nursery.

You are the kind of people who make my life difficult when I bring my boys into a public place and people give me dirty looks assuming I'm going to ruin THEIR day just because I have kids in a restaurant or store. Funny thing is, almost every time we go out to eat, somebody stops by our table and commends the behavior of our children. Too bad people judge before knowing the facts.

And by the way, yes I make sure my husband watches my kids at home before I go out and attend to business. However we have had to bring our kids on occasional cake deliveries, and it was not a disaster, nor did it ruin anyone's day, or life.

I suppose you are one of the ones who glares at people who bring a toddler on an airplane too...

Sorry for getting snippity. But as someone who has four boys, to hear someone "loathe's kids" is just really not anyone I want to associate with, in person, or online.

Carolynlovescake Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:54pm
post #74 of 137
Quote:

yup. What else was there to say?

Great Googly Moogly!

Leapin Lizards!

Good Golly Miss Molly!

oh the list could go on and on... icon_lol.gif

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:00pm
post #75 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I think somebody mentioned this isn't some kind of university class...its generally supposed to be a somewhat laid back, enjoyable class.

I love love LOVE kids. But it's still a class and as another paying customer who had to courtesy to find a sitter, I would be more than irritated that I still had the distraction there. Even at home, I have trouble decorating when my kids are chattering behind me so if I had that same distraction in a professional learning environment, I'd feel like I'd rather just watch a youtube video and learn it by myself at home when my kids were sleeping instead of having the same distraction that I was looking to eliminate by paying for and taking the class.

Even if it's not policy, which it should be, it's disrespectful to the other students.

chutzpah Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:01pm
post #76 of 137

Just because one dislikes kids doesn't mean one judges your parenting ability before the fact. Don't be so quick to assume.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:04pm
post #77 of 137

gotta agree with kitagirl about the "loathe kids" comment..........that's just not 2 words that should ever go together! Yuck icon_eek.gif

When I took the Wilton courses my kids were very young and to be honest I used the courses as a "night out with the girls". Looking back, I kind of wished they had served wine, than it would have been a REAL girls night out....oh well!

Having said that, there are 2 sides and I understand both side's reactions. Sorry you were embarassed and hurt, but I wouldn't let it stop you from taking the course when you do have a sitter for your child. I don't think the teacher's reaction was unjustified, maybe her delivery was insensitive, but, her class was disrupted by the OP's late arrival.

Does anyone know of any cake courses where they serve cheese and wine??????? icon_razz.gif

aimeeb1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimeeb1224 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:08pm
post #78 of 137

It looks like the OP was not asking for our opinions on whether what she did was right or wrong. She was simply looking to vent her frustration and disappointment. So instead of offering judgement or opinions that were not requested, can we just support her? I'd be disappointed too if that were me. I'd feel even worse after reading all of these posts. Hugs to her!

chutzpah Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:08pm
post #79 of 137

Why is it always considered so unacceptable to dislike children? Some people hate cats or dogs or horses. Some people hate people, and some hate kids.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:15pm
post #80 of 137
Quote:

Why is it always considered so unacceptable to dislike children? Some people hate cats or dogs or horses. Some people hate people, and some hate kids.

So now people and kids are no different than animals? haha. Okay....

I didn't say I absolutely adore all kids. But...I do not "loathe" anyone. No kids, no adults. Its pretty sad to have to say you "loathe" anyone, really.

I am, however, beginning to "loathe" this thread. icon_lol.gif

chutzpah Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:18pm
post #81 of 137

Oy, you seem to have selectively filtered out the part where I wrote some people hate people.

And some people loath teens, some hate tweens. kids are no different from other people grouped by age.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:19pm
post #82 of 137

I agree with Dkelly27, I am a teacher of both cake decorating and dance. If you are late you aren't even allowed in the classroom, end of story. No mama's or daddy's in the dance room with kiddo, and no kiddo's allowed in cake class with mommy or daddy, end of story.

If you are late that is very disrespectful to the teacher and the other students so actually you arriving so late and having a very young child in tow was just as rude as you perceived the instructors response.

And everyone...think...we weren't there, we don't know the intonation of the instructors response; she could have possibly said "You are late and I'm sorry but we don't allow children in class." Which to me is a very appropriate response. If you are a very sensative person, and this was announced out loud in front of the other students it could be in your eyes rude of her to not allow your entry and announce such in front of others. As an instructor I feel your instructor was more than justified in her response. To take you aside to discuss "discreetly" would have taken even more time from her other students who paid their fee also, and made sure they were on time. I am sure there were many moms of young kids in that class too, yet they didn't have their kids with them.

Please people use some common sense! An adult class especially one where sharp tools will be used means NO KIDS ALLOWED!

Sorry but you get no sympathy from me on this subject.

Oh and to add, I do offer cake classes specifically designed for kiddos.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:20pm
post #83 of 137

Loathe is a pretty strong word.

Main Entry: loathe
Pronunciation: \\ˈlôth\\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): loathed; loath·ing
Etymology: Middle English lothen, from Old English lâthian to dislike, be hateful, from lâth
Date: 12th century
: to dislike greatly and often with disgust or intolerance : detest
synonyms see hate

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:20pm
post #84 of 137

Wilton courses are designed for mid teens to adult, younger children are not recommended, but I have had paying children that did quite well. It tends to be a Wilton policy, but Michael's may have liability issues as well. It is up to each WMI to enforce, but it is something that we are told. At least here in Canada.

As well there is a difference between paying for a child to be in the class, and just bringing a child.

That being said...if you feel slighted and that the situation could have been handled in a more appropriate manner, talk to the manager, and call Wilton. Don't just say there is no point. You may not be the only person who complained, but they might come up with a better way of us handling those issues in class, without embarassing students.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:21pm
post #85 of 137

There's a big difference between dislike and loathe.

chutzpah Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:23pm
post #86 of 137

No duh, missy. You are preaching to the choir, d kelly.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:34pm
post #87 of 137

Whoa-who loathes children? Do you hate kittens too? Did you get a huge lump of coal in your stocking this year? Or did you just steal all the toys from the Whos? The Grinch hates kids, too.
I will probably regret saying that, I'm sure.

chutzpah Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:38pm
post #88 of 137

Lots of peeps loathe kids, but since so many people think kid-haters are the worst imaginable people to ever set foot on the skin of the earth, many kid-loathers never pipe up.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:46pm
post #89 of 137

Just have to jump in here! Liking or disliking children is not the subject of this thread. I have 2 grandson's and love them to death, but that being said, When I am paying for a class I expect the focus to be on the subject being taught. I think it is unfair not to respect the other people in the class. I turn off my cell phone. I am always at least 5 to 10 minutes early to class and I would never consider taking one of my grandsons with me. I don't care how good and well behaved young children are. They are still a distraction.

Carolynlovescake Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:58pm
post #90 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

I turn off my cell phone.

Funny true story here to show even the teacher screws up.

I thought I slipped my phone from my pocket into my purse when I put it in my locker.

It some how ended up in my cake bag instead.

A couple times in class it rang (I never heard it) and finally a student said "ok who's got the Cuppycake song by Strawberry Shortcake as a phone ringer!"

I looked weird and said "how funny I have that one too but my phone's in the back."

It rang again and she said "are you sure!?".

She looked down and pointed at my clear bin I use to carry supplies and said "I think it's really you." I about died. I apologized profusely and turned it off then one of the mom's said "what if it's an emergency." so I looked at my caller ID it was my store... trying to get a hold of me and I was two aisles away from the office!

The manager walked out and looked shocked to see me saying "I've been calling you!" to which all of my students busted up and said "WE KNOW!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%