How Do I Make A Stained Glass Cake? (By Tomorrow Night)

Decorating By JessDesserts Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 1:50am by SeriousCakes

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 6

Hello Everyone. Thank you for getting this far in hopefully responding to my question icon_smile.gif

My co-workers birthday is this week and I was going to make her cupcakes, maybe practicing making some fondant figures or flowers also. Then...I remembered how much she adores stained glass. Armed with that tidbit and the fact I very much want to "broaden my horizons" and try to learn new things, i've decided to try my hand at a stained glass cake; possibly with matching cc's.

I am going to make an 8" cake, her favorite flavor of course, and here comes my first question: Do I cover it with BC or fondant? If the answer is BC, does it matter which BC? Ratio of butter to shortening? High-ratio? SMBC? Goold 'ol American BC?

OK, next: I have a pattern that I found in a window treatment book and I can make it the right size to fit the cake. Then what? Do I use piping gel to trace it? Like Wilton shows the instructions for the rainbow cake? If so; why is the black outline always matte and not glossy like the 'glass'?

Finally, ( I hope) : is the 'glass' just colored piping gel?

The pic is probably ( unless I change my mind) going to be flowers, tulips most likely.

Any suggestions for coordinating cupcakes? For example: ice the tops smooth and make a 'stained glass' tulip on each one?

Sorry this is soooooooo long, I seem to be quite wordy lately icon_redface.gif

Thank you so much in advance for any help, as you can see, I really need all the help I can get!!

Jess icon_razz.gif

5 replies
Frecklepuss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklepuss Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:03am
post #2 of 6

I dont know if this is what you had in mind but I have seen on the food network when they have challenges that melted coloured sugar is used to make lakes on cakes. When hardend the effect is very much like stained glass. You would use icing I imagine to pipe your ouline on the cake and fill in the outline with the melted somewhat cooled coloured sugar. I am not sure how to make it but I know I have seen it done recently.

Besides that I remember when I took my cake decorating course using the piping gel as you suggested to make the rainbow. I think you could use matte or glossy ... I cant see why there would be a rule and simply flood the middle with coloured piping gel.

Good luck to you .. hope your co-worker appreciates it icon_smile.gif

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:04am
post #3 of 6

Hi Jess,

It sounds like a lovely cake idea! The buttercream or fondant is your choice... either would work well. I've never used piping gel on IMBC Or SMBC, but I've no reason to think it would work any differently. ( I've used it previously on American buttercream.) You can use either black buttercream or black piping gel for the outlines and then fill in with the colored piping gel for the glass. If you plan on putting it on cupcakes as well, I'd level the tops of them first... I worry that the gel might slide on a rounded surface.

Best wishes for a lovely cake!

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:33am
post #4 of 6

ty for your responses.

I cannot do the poured sugar, although it sounds like a spectacular presentation, it is way above my experience level. Ty for the suggestion.

I read a previous post in the forum about stained glass and the technique seemed 'simple'. I mean to say only, it didnt sound intimitading or over-complicated, and I thought I might be able to give it a try as a beginner.

I have not found a fondant that I enjoy yet, and havent time to try the ones recently suggested, so I will go with BC. ( I was only going to use fondant if it was required to do the stained glass)

Hopefully, I can pull this off.

Any additional suggestions are more then welcome and, as always, greatly appreciated.

Jess

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:46am
post #5 of 6

I have this cake saved in my favs.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_19313.html

Perhaps you can PM the creator and ask specifics on technique.

Good luck and please post pics when you're finished!

thumbs_up.gif

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:50am
post #6 of 6

Hi there, I have done quite a few stained glass cakes, all with chocolate buttercream and caramel sauce (recipes listed in my profile):
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1260682
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1250077
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1240927

If you go into the galleries and do a search for stained glass you'll get plenty of ideas icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%