What's Wrong With This Picture ?

Decorating By grama_j Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm by Larrimore

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 54

53 favorites
1 comment

I'm sorry, but I HATE this ! If you care enough about a design or someones work that you would put it in your favorites, to USE at a later time, either for inspiration, or to copy, you should be able to take the time to comment on the work.....

53 replies
summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 54

I try to comment whenever I can-I have some cakes I uploaded today, and no one said anything. icon_sad.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 54

I so agree ! Everyone loves to get a nice comment! It only takes a second!

cakegirl68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl68 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 54

Are we talking about an adult?

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 54

I try to comment every picture I view even if I don't put into my favs. But everyone likes to read other people opinion about their work of art. I went to your ohotos and all your pics are Beautifully Well Done!

Don't let it bother you so much though...just know that all your work is NICE and thats it, even if people don't comment... by the way I looked for the picture with the numbers and I couldn't find it, I'm curious to view it... icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 54

I try to comment on all the cakes I vew especially on the ones I put in my favs.

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 54

I feel your pain... I always try to leave comments when I look at a cake. But I always leave a comment when I put it in my favorites. I've decided that when I upload a pic and I see people have looked at it and it doesn't get any comments within a 24 hour period I delete it. I know that doesn't sound very good and probably isn't very nice but that's just how I feel. I now only have three pics in my photos....and one will be deleted tonight. Then there will be two. icon_sad.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 54

In an ideal world a whole bunch of things would happen. I'd be thrilled with the 53 favorites. Comments are nice, but not as flattering as favorites. That's my opinion, of course.

I sure don't want comments because a thread was started to make folks feel guilty.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 54

Sorry to say, but there are people on this site who are only in it for themselves, not for the camaraderie of the group. They search for pictures of their desired cake & save them. Granted, this isn't the majority, but it surely counts for some. You always have those lurkers who say they've been a member for years, but this is their first post.
If you'd like more input on your cake, just post it in a thread. Lots of people do! icon_biggrin.gif

Personally, I don't comment on every cake I save right away, but I do make sure that I do before I remove them from my favorites (when I've used it for the inspiration I needed it for.)

Naturepixie Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:48pm
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

I sure don't want comments because a thread was started to make folks feel guilty.

Me either!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif But I still feel the way I feel....

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:59pm
post #11 of 54

i comment as often as I can, especially when I add a pic tp my favs.

I know how much comments helped me when I first posted some pics. I was unsure and very new to decorating and positive comments gave me confidence.

If my little comment can make someone feel the same way I did, and certainly still do when I receive them, it only takes a second and its something I WANT to do.

As i've said many times before, im a 'pay it forward' kinda gal. To me, this is just another form of it.

I had the most views on one particular cc pic around the holidays and I couldnt understand how I only had 15 comments. Theres something odd about a 2200:60:15 ratio ( views:favs:comments)

Nonetheless, it will not change how much I comment on other peoples' pics.

Although, this makes me think of something: if I do not like something ( which is very rare) I do not comment. I guess this is in the back of my head when I see so many views and hardly any comments for my pics.

Just my humble opinion.

Jess

grama_j Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:59pm
post #12 of 54

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that it was MY work that I was talking about..... it wasn't..... it was a gal that does BEAUTIFUL work, and is a relative "newbie"....... we could all learn from her talent.......I just stumbled on her while looking for something else......

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:03am
post #13 of 54

Pixie....Please know I wasn't directly that specifically at you! I am sometimes pretty shocked at the "unfairness" of the system, even though I know it's not meant to be "unfair" at all. There are gorgeous photos that get absolutely no time on the homepage. So many more cakes are uploaded every day than there were even a year ago! How many members actually go through all the newest uploads? I don't have the time to do that. Usually I see them on the homepage or during a search for something specific. A lot of folks don't put keywords. So, I know I miss a huge amount of gorgeous cakes. I sneak in at work, and yep, I may only have time to save as a favorite. I'll admit, I'm not the best at making sure I leave a comment. I guess I hope that by my saving your cake you know I thought it was really awesome!

I see cakes that get a huge amount of attention, when many cakes seem to be totally overlooked. I've had a few cakes of my own I thought were pretty good that were basically overlooked. I'll admit it hurt a little, even though I know they were barely on the homepage and all the other issues with having cakes get seen. We all want recognition. It feels good. I understand your wanting to remove your photos, but I hope you don't.

I sure wish I could make figures like yours!

Jodie

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:08am
post #14 of 54

For someone that is a begginer, like me, comments are very important...especially in a group of such advance bakers/decorators as I see here. I stumbled through this site one day by mistake...so, at first, I started visiting just to see the beautiful work you do and it took a long time for me to post my work. I mistakenly thought that posting pics were only for the experienced and threads were only for important information...later on I realized it was ok to participate. And, here I am.... icon_smile.gif

Naturepixie Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:14am
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

Pixie....Please know I wasn't directly that specifically at you!

Jodie

Oh, I know, no harm done..... icon_biggrin.gif

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:15am
post #16 of 54

I know what you mean! I post a comment on EVERY picture I look at because I want the comments in RETURN!!!!! It takes 2 seconds to post a comment....I can't figure it out!

grama_j Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:16am
post #17 of 54

Rosie..... I just looked at your pics and your work is GREAT ! Cakes, cookies, and those booties are adorable !

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:20am
post #18 of 54

I only have a few pictures posted. But I will come forth and admit that don't comment on every photo in my favs, because I often find that what I would say has already been said (often, multiple times in one photo). My take on that issue is that the sentiment has already been expressed. (But now that I know you don't mind!!! icon_biggrin.gif ) Also, I don't know about anyone else, but I will often save photos just to look at ~ because some skills are and may always be way beyond my ability, and I just like to look at them and "dream" when I have some time. Another thing to consider is that some people might not feel comfortable of leaving a comment. For example, an amateur baker/decorator may not feel comfortable leaving a comment on someone who executes advanced techniques almost perfectly. It take some people time to build confidence to express themselves here, which may account for yet more missed comments (and not posting in the forums).

grama_j, your work is lovely. Please feel appreciated for all that you do and share with us.

Edited to add: grama_j, I just saw your post about this not being about your work.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:23am
post #19 of 54

Comments are great. But I concentrate more on leaving a comment on a cake that I DON'T put in my favorites.

IMO, a favorite is comment enough - it says that the cake is awesome. I would be thrilled if I made a cake that had 53 favorites. Heck, more than 3 is my current goal, LOL!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:27am
post #20 of 54

When I try to leave comments, I keep getting an script error message where I can only type one letter at a time, get the message, click yes, type a letter, get the message, click yes...etc.... until I get finished. So it takes longer than 2 seconds.

Sorry, but I don't have the time to do that with every pic that I save. Or I often save it and mean to return later in the evening to comment, but I do believe that I have brain cells that have been impaired from inhaling to much powdered sugar dust.

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:29am
post #21 of 54

I try to leave comments but there is not always time. There are times that I am looking for inspiration or a specific design and just don't have time to post a comment on every picture I look at. I try to be sincere when I make comments, not that I am saying anyone is being insincere. If I am really inspired, amazed, see a technique that is done well, or just think someone has worked their but off on a cake then yes I will make a comment. It is sometimes hard to get to all of those pictures. So sorry if I have offended anyone by not commenting after looking it really is not personal.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:31am
post #22 of 54

This has been hashed over and over again. There are HUNDREDS of photos up-loaded onto this site weekly. Not everyone has the ability to look for long never mind comment. If someone up adds my picture as a favorite I take that as the ultimate comment. Even just looking is a great compliment.. of the hundreds of photos loaded daily someone chose to look at mine. I pop on for a few minutes here and there all day.. I will comment if something moves me.. but I don't always.. and I don't feel bad about it. I don't feel bad if people look and no one comments on one of my pictures. The sheer number of photos added daily makes it impossible to comment on all of them. It's not about people being selfish.. it's about people not always having the time to give a detailed comment. If I commented on every picture I looked at I could only say "nice" "good job" "sweet".. then people would be complaining about the one liner comments (yeah it's happened). No one can win.

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:31am
post #23 of 54

the samething happens to me. i think i made a nice cake.... but no one comment on it so i feel like i didn't do a good job. .i know i'm not a cake designer.this is not my profession ..i just do it for family and friends . its a hobby .i love it.. but if someone want to say something good or bad i welcome your comments just tell me how to do it better. you learn by your mistake.

grama_j Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:54am
post #24 of 54

" The sheer number of photos added daily makes it impossible to comment on all of them. "
No one said anything about commenting on EVERY photo....... MY point was that if you have time to save it to YOUR favorites, you have time to say "GOOD JOB"........

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:06am
post #25 of 54

very true.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:10am
post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

" The sheer number of photos added daily makes it impossible to comment on all of them. "
No one said anything about commenting on EVERY photo....... MY point was that if you have time to save it to YOUR favorites, you have time to say "GOOD JOB"........

Sorry, this is NOT true. Given how this site runs sometimes or the fact that I have three kids and a business and a household to run, I'm lucky I can even get around to save a photo sometimes. I'm sure I am not the only one that feels this way.

This topic has been beaten to death. icon_mad.gif Everytime it does it makes me crazy (and yes I know there's that little x in the corner I could click on).

IF people can or are willing to comment, great. If not then that's fine, too. Let's not make people feel bad about it.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:11am
post #27 of 54

I think having a picture designated as a favorite is so flattering. It says to me that my cake, or something about it, is good enough that someone wants to be able to look at it again. I enjoy the comments, but the favorites really do it for me!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:15am
post #28 of 54

I had heard that there are people on here that try to make sure every photo has a comment. That has to be a tremendous amount of work. I used to add photos to my favorites w/o leaving a comment. Like jkalman said, I would be thrilled to see the favorites, w/o even a comment, though I probably would wonder what aspect of the cake people like so much...Now I try to comment now on everything I save a favorite, since that seems to be a concern of some.

I especially try to comment on cakes that look like they're made from newbies. My work is so far from perfect and I'm so happy when I look at one of my own cakes that seems full of flaws and yet someone found that one great aspect of it to comment on. So, I try to do the same so the newbies who are looking at only their flaws can see that others are out there admiring their design, colors, certain technique, whatever it may be.

(ETA) Some times people may just think it's obvious. I have a tutorial/template I posted. Has 1213 views (wow!), 167 favorites, and only 10 comments. But I figure there's only so many times people are going to want to comment: Cute shoes, can't wait to try them! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:16am
post #29 of 54

I understand completely. Comments are nice to have even if it's just "pretty, nice, etc." They're even better if they're specific like "good piping, nice design, etc." What I really like is for someone to put it in their favorites. That doesn't happen a lot with me. I'm a novice hobby baker and need a lot more practice. I'm aware of my status in the world of CC. Generally, though, I feel a lot of acceptance on this site and there is a sense of generosity in the forums. I'm amazed at how much advice and direction some of the more skilled decorators openly share with the newbies, and I appreciate it very much. So, I guess I get my atta-girl's from the site as a whole. (But, yes, the comments are nice!)

icon_biggrin.gif Lisa[/i]

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:28am
post #30 of 54

ok I have never really gotten in the middle of these threads about comments before however I figured I would give a little input this time. The way I feel is that I would rather have the favorites than the comments ... SURE everyone loves comments, but you ever have those photos that have like 50 views and one comment lol. That is like the "pitty" comment because someone feels obligated to comment on your photo because nobody else did. just a comment saying "good job" or "pretty" while appreciated almost seems like again the "pitty" comments.

As far as the way I decide to leave comments. I don't leave comments on all the photos I view, and honestly I don't leave them on half the photos I view, I will be honest about that. Most of the time I am working and just browsing the photos while I work, I am on the phone with customers and cannot type while on the phone with them but I can sure look at the photos and click the favorites button when I see one I love and if I have time to I will leave a comment on what SPECIFICALLY I like about the cake. I don't think it is fair to say that EVERYONE has time to comment on photos they view. Some people have old computers that run so slow making a comment could take an extra 5 minutes (trust me I just got rid of my old computer it would lock up every time I tried to comment). Others like myself browse photos while doing other things that prevent us from being able to leave comments. Favorites I think are probably the highest compliment here for me as for most others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%