Help! Help! Monogram On A Wedding Cake

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 11:05pm by Michele25

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 20

I Have been asked to make a three tier square wedding cake with a monogram on one of the tiers Im not very good at writing on my cakes is their a easy way to do this Im very nervous about doing the monogram part PLEASE HELP! I really want to make this cake for my friend.

Molly

19 replies
j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 20

There are several ways you can do this...

You can make it out of royal icing or color flow ahead of time, using a pattern. This will give you a perfect finish and gives it some added "dimension". Plus it can be pearlized beautifully.

If you want to pipe it directly onto the cake, you can make a pattern. Print out the letters in the font and size that you want, then stick a toothpick through the paper (into a styro disc). The back of the paper should have "chads" sticking out the back. When you press your "pattern" onto the cake, it will leave an outline of the monogram to be piped. This will also work on fondant.

Good luck!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pal

You can make it out of royal icing or color flow ahead of time, using a pattern. This will give you a perfect finish and gives it some added "dimension". Plus it can be pearlized beautifully.

This is my chosen method for monograms (using royal icing). It allows you to be able to do very detailed lettering. If the couple is using a monogram on their invitations, I usually have the printer email me the font so that it will match perfectly.

I simply print out the monogram, lay a piece of wax paper on top and pipe away (usually several layers). I typically make several in case of breakage.

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 20

So how do you attach the monogram to the cake (the standing kind)? Put sticks/wire in as you would for cookies?

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinkema

So how do you attach the monogram to the cake (the standing kind)? Put sticks/wire in as you would for cookies?

For one going on the side (like the one on my avatar pic), I just attach with a little royal icing.

j-pal Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 20

Yes - I'd use a white cookie stick and attach it with royal icing. Here's one I did recently for the front which could also be used on top.
LL

Molly2 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:49am
post #7 of 20

Thank you all so much for responding the wedding is in February I have a little time to pract.

Molly

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:

Yes - I'd use a white cookie stick and attach it with royal icing. Here's one I did recently for the front which could also be used on top.

J-pal that is one good looking cake , what is the top made of ?

j-pal Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

Thanks! The topper was a nautilus shell (like the link below shows) with a pearlized finished, turned on one end so that the opening was straight up. It was then glued to a small wooden base and I filled it with pearlized gumpaste flowers.

http://seashellvilla.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/nautilus-seashell.jpg

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:33pm
post #10 of 20

I make mine out of fondant.... I print up how I want it to look on the computer, then put a piece of wax paper over the printed paper... I then roll out snakes and bend them how I want them to look using the printed sheet as a guide. I just uploaded a picture a few days ago in my pictures of a 4 tier wedding cake with flowers between the tiers if you want to take a look. Good luck!

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:40pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellboi2u

I make mine out of fondant.... I print up how I want it to look on the computer, then put a piece of wax paper over the printed paper... I then roll out snakes and bend them how I want them to look using the printed sheet as a guide. I just uploaded a picture a few days ago in my pictures of a 4 tier wedding cake with flowers between the tiers if you want to take a look. Good luck!

Yipp, I does do the same thing too.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:54pm
post #12 of 20

Yes J-Pal I love your cake It is absoutley Stunning and Gergeous.

j-pal Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 11:03pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

Yes J-Pal I love your cake It is absoutley Stunning and Gergeous.

Thank you very much! icon_biggrin.gif

Molly2 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:15pm
post #14 of 20

Thank You to everyone I will try them my cake is due in Feb. so I'll try these ideas

Molly thumbs_up.gif

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:46pm
post #15 of 20

Wow, all of you who responded about how you do your monograms have such gorgeous cakes!!!!! I think monograms look so elegant on wedding cakes and each of your methods are equally beautiful!!!!! Thanks for the great tips everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:55pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks! The topper was a nautilus shell (like the link below shows) with a pearlized finished, turned on one end so that the opening was straight up. It was then glued to a small wooden base and I filled it with pearlized gumpaste flowers.

http://seashellvilla.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/nautilus-seashell.jpg

very cool, thats thinking out side of the box great job how long have you been doing cakes, iwork full time and what time i have left i try to do cakes but im no where close to you you do fantastic job,

j-pal Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:14pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:

very cool, thats thinking out side of the box great job how long have you been doing cakes, iwork full time and what time i have left i try to do cakes but im no where close to you you do fantastic job,

Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif I've been doing cakes for 13 years now. I started as a stay-at-home mom who wanted to be able to make cakes for my kids. Pretty soon it started taking over our lives and we made the decision to open a specialty bakery. I did that for about 6 years and it pretty much took over our lives. We were doing 6-12 weddings each week, plus multiple other cakes and we didn't have a life outside of the bakery. It became "work" and started to take the joy out of decorating. My family life was non-existent and it was ruining my relationship with my mother - who worked for me.

Finally, about 3 years ago, my husband's job transferred him to Mexico and we made the decision to give up the business and I went back to being a full-time Mom and Wife! I now get to do cakes when and how I want to, and it's become enjoyable again! Plus, I get to hang out on this board in between "school" with my kids!!

Well - sorry... you probably didn't want my life story!! icon_redface.gif I guess if we want to "chat" we can do it off-board. Feel free to e-mail me anytime with questions, comments or to chat about cakes. [email protected]

cakebaker1957 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:17pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif I've been doing cakes for 13 years now. I started as a stay-at-home mom who wanted to be able to make cakes for my kids. Pretty soon it started taking over our lives and we made the decision to open a specialty bakery. I did that for about 6 years and it pretty much took over our lives. We were doing 6-12 weddings each week, plus multiple other cakes and we didn't have a life outside of the bakery. It became "work" and started to take the joy out of decorating. My family life was non-existent and it was ruining my relationship with my mother - who worked for me.

Finally, about 3 years ago, my husband's job transferred him to Mexico and we made the decision to give up the business and I went back to being a full-time Mom and Wife! I now get to do cakes when and how I want to, and it's become enjoyable again! Plus, I get to hang out on this board in between "school" with my kids!!

Well - sorry... you probably didn't want my life story!! icon_redface.gif I guess if we want to "chat" we can do it off-board. Feel free to e-mail me anytime with questions, comments or to chat about cakes. [email protected]

thank you i will give you a holler sometimes i wrote down your address so dont be suprised when i email you (:im been doing cakes for 2yrs now love it

Molly2 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 10:17pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you so much J-Pal I only do this as a hobby and have met many friends on this site I love hearing how people started doing this. I have never had any cake decorating lesson what I've learned I've learned from this site I'm always ready to learn new things and appreciate anyone that responds to my questions Thank You again to everyone

Molly thumbs_up.gif

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 11:05pm
post #20 of 20

I love hearing how everyone started, too!! It's like our own "Member Spotlight" icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%