Change In Icing Color?

Decorating By sweet1122 Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 11:48pm by sweet1122

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 4

I've noticed when I incorporate real butter into my BC I have color change issues. One example is when I was piping stars on a cake and went to refill my bag the new stars were coming onto the cake in a different shade... I asked my instructor about it when I was still taking classes and she said I must not be mixing well. I'm absolutely positive I mix well. It only happens when I incorporate real butter into the icing. If I use 100% shortening I'm good to go, but I really prefer the taste of the butter... What am I doing wrong?

3 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 4

Some colors intensify as they dry and some fade when they come in contact with light (sun or lightbulb)

I have had lots of issues with americolor. Especially the dark blue, pinks and reds. You may try a different brand or type (like powdered)

Sorry I cannot answer your question scientifically. Maybe someone else might have a better answer.

Stephanie

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 4

This is common. If you make up your colored icing at least the night before the color will have time to 'deepen' and you should not have as much a problems. Also this usually happens to people who have hot hands. Keep a 2nd bag all made up in the frig so you can change when ready w/o the color change happening.

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 4

My icings are mostly wilton icings. I've used some Americolor and I've also used the powder with my blues and reds. I've had the same thing happen each time...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%