Pea Pod

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 7:49pm by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 5

hey ive been asked to do a baby shower cake and shes having twins, i saw a cute cake with a pea pod on top of the stacked cake since im making 2 babies to put in it how big do you think it should be and im trying to figure out how to shape it so it will look like a pea pod, any info would be great Thanks oh the size of the cake is a 10in and a 6in im letting her take the 6in home this is where the pea pod will be

4 replies
jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 5

I made a pea pod cake a little while ago and I had so much fun with it (there is a pic in my pics). I took my 6" pan and cut out an oval shape with pointy ends a little smaller than the top of the pan. I just made my little peas, stuck them in the center and shaped the pod around them. Trial and error works best! It is very easy to do. Have fun with them! icon_biggrin.gif

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:19am
post #3 of 5

I did one recently for my sister who is having twins. One problem that I came across was that I wanted the baby peas to peek out and if I made the pod too big or deep, they sunk too far down. Another tip that I wish I'd known before hand is, if you can, make the pod from one piece of fondant or gumpaste, rather than two. I made mine out of two pieces (Each shape was shaped like half of a circle), I 'glued' them together, dried them and they still fell apart when I put them up on top, I think the peas were too heavy to hold the seam so it had me panicking at the last minute.

Best wishes with your cake!!

Jen, your cake is adorable, as is your pea pod icon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 5

Thank You, i have a small oval pan wonder if that would work as well??

cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilly

I did one recently for my sister who is having twins. One problem that I came across was that I wanted the baby peas to peek out and if I made the pod too big or deep, they sunk too far down. Another tip that I wish I'd known before hand is, if you can, make the pod from one piece of fondant or gumpaste, rather than two. I made mine out of two pieces (Each shape was shaped like half of a circle), I 'glued' them together, dried them and they still fell apart when I put them up on top, I think the peas were too heavy to hold the seam so it had me panicking at the last minute.

Best wishes with your cake!!

Jen, your cake is adorable, as is your pea pod icon_smile.gif

Thank you hilly, i think i might practice dont need it until Feb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%