Rochester Ny

Decorating By imakecakes Updated 12 Aug 2016 , 2:57pm by JeanetteDroegs

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 7:25pm
post #61 of 75

Since I'm pleasantly surprised to see we have so many Western New Yorkers ...

Seriously, is anyone interested in starting a Western New York (Buffalo, Rochester, Olean, Batavia, etc.) ICES chapter? We could rotate counties to meet in. I'm game!

Plus if I find anyone interested in carpooling to the big ICES convention, that would be awesome. icon_biggrin.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 7:26pm
post #62 of 75

I have their clear vanilla and almond. They're ok. I bought a huge bottle of the almond because I use that so much. I think maybe Penzey's is a little better, but this is fine for me generally, especially since most of the stuff I make gets donated to bake sales. I don't want to spend a lot.

I have the Wilton butter flavor and cannot stand it. It's too buttery smelling. Maybe that is just the way imitation butter flavor tends to be?

I think that maybe things have gottem easier to have a home kitchen. I know a lady that was able to start a cookie baking business from her home about 4 years ago. She claims she had her kitchen inspected. I also heard that the regulation to have a spearate kitchen has been relaxed, not sure if that is true or not.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:25pm
post #63 of 75

Hi, i'm from over near Albany. The ICES weekend in April in East Greenbush is really an easy drive from Rochester area. The fire house that we meet at is not that far off of I90

It takes me 3 hours (doing the speed limit pretty much) from the Albany area to get to Syracuse

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:39pm
post #64 of 75

Jillk-I'm interested, but have no idea where to start or what ICES is--I have a general idea, but have never thought myself to be good enough to play with the big dogs there. I'm open to learning more tho'...

Barbaranne--from my experience researching in Rochester, there are 2 seperate levels of business ownership. They aren't particularly appealing titles but...

"Non-potentially hazzardous" baked goods can be made and sold through a family kitchen that has been inspected through the dept of agriculture. These include cookies, double crusted fruit pies, brownies--stuff that won't mold or go bad if left out for 2 weeks--just go stale and not taste good. There is not a lot needed to get this certification--I have a friend who did it and she said it was almost TOO easy...Contact the USDA in Roch, they are very helpful.

then there's:

"Potentially hazzardous" which includes cakes, cream pies etc...(stuff that can potentially be harmful if not prepared and stored properly) for these you have to be licensed through the health dept. which is MUCH MUCH MUCH more regulated.

*****If anyone has info that is different from mine--PLEASE SHARE!! I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, this is just what I have found in my own searching. Please tell me if I'm not understanding it correctly. I know someone said cakes are included in her certification in Buffalo. If it's different in Roch tell me! (Sorry this is so long!) Thanks!!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:25pm
post #65 of 75

This is funny. I was going to open the email about the topic reply notification for this thread, but instead decided to open an email from someone in my homeschool group. She is looking for a cake decorator in Rochester! She is looking for a cake with a book character on it. So, if anybody that sells cakes and wants to send me a personal message with your contact info, I can foward it to her.

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:12pm
post #66 of 75

Just giving this a bump to see if anyone's still interestedin this topic... should we let it die out?

irish559 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irish559 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:25pm
post #67 of 75

Anywhere in the greater Rochester area to purchase Bettercream? I've learned from this topic that's it's actually made in Buffalo, but was hoping there was a place closer to home to purchase some (I'm in the finger lakes) .

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 12:56pm
post #68 of 75

Sorry, I don't know where to get it, but your post reminded me that I wanted to contact he company to find out.

Here's the link:
http://www.richs.com/regions.cfm?rid=1623

There is a phone number to get the info.

Hopefully someone here already knows.

Bobbi123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bobbi123 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:59am
post #69 of 75

Hello! Glad that I've stumbled onto this thread- I've posted before trying to locate cake folks from upstate NY. I'm a hobby baker and would love to hook up with local cake decorating fanatics.

Anything more on starting a local (western NY) cake club? I'd be very interested.

sweetkisscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkisscakes Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:13am
post #70 of 75

Hello everyone!
I grew up in Cazenovia ( near syracuse) I now live in oneida. I love capco/ top of the cake, it seems much cheaper than jo anns and micheals. It would be great to know cake people near me. It seems that "normal" people aren't nearly as excited about new cake techniques as I seem to be. lol

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 10:53am
post #71 of 75

I also love top of the cake- they're so very nice there! I work full time Monday through Friday and can't often get there during the week days, when they moved to Capaco I didn't realise they'd be closed on Saturdays... I had to call for directions and someone was there and opened the store so I could go! I'm closer to the Utica area, we've not had any cake type stores here in a while...

sweetkisscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkisscakes Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:49pm
post #72 of 75

now that I'm living in oneida (I'm a cake decorator at Walmart). I'm closer to Utica as well. One store that I like around here is Kountry Market in Vernon on rt 5. It's a meninite bulk food store. It's the only place close by I can find sleve fillings, richs products, and some really cute sprinkels.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm
post #73 of 75

For really cute sprinkles I would go to the Regional Market in Syracuse on a Saturday morning... there is one vendor that sells herbs/ spices/ and a fabulous sprinkle assortment. When ever I make it out there I usually treat myself to new sprinkles icon_smile.gif

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:46pm
post #74 of 75

oo i forgot about the sprinkles at the market! only bad thing is i usually go skiing saturdays, so no sprinkles for me icon_sad.gif

JeanetteDroegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JeanetteDroegs Posted 12 Aug 2016 , 2:57pm
post #75 of 75

Am I 7 years too late? Anyone in the Rochester area still caking? I just moved back from being in Vegas and working the pastry/cake scene on the strip. Anyone? Bueller?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%