Rochester Ny

Decorating By imakecakes Updated 12 Aug 2016 , 2:57pm by JeanetteDroegs

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 75

I'm just wondering if there's anyone here in or near rochester, NY. I would love to know someone nearby who shares my obsession for cake thing.....

74 replies
JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 75

Hi! I'm in Buffalo, so not that far away. (And I'm in Rochester all the time -- we take the kids to Strong Museum. icon_razz.gif)

Hey, let me know if you know of any good cake decorating supply places near you, OK?

icon_wink.gif

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 75

I'm closer to Syracuse, but I thought I'd say hi... there is one store that I know of in Syracuse, Capaco/ Top of the cake on New Court Ave in Syracuse.

imakecakes Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:27am
post #4 of 75

Hi Ladies! Thanks for responding! For the most part, I use Sam's, micheal's, ACMoore and Joanne's for my stuff. There are no other cake supply shops in Roch that I am aware of, but that is one reason I started the post. I wonder if I'm missing something.

I make cakes for family and friends from home and just last november I accepted a job making cakes and desserts for a restaurant in my neighborhood.

Are you guys hobbyists or professionals?

joshalow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joshalow Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:34am
post #5 of 75

I lived in Rochester- years ago. Have sisters and nieces there that are into cake decorating as well. There used to be a store in Henrietta called "Ann Jerr's" - don't know if they are still there. Then there was also a store in Greece, off of Ridge Rd- but can't remember the name and don't know if it's still there.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:03am
post #6 of 75

i have no idea where rochester is but i'm in suffolk county. is that anywhere nearby?

JillK Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 75

Rochester is in Monroe County, toward the western side of New York state, on the south edge of Lake Ontario. I have friends who live there and I used to live just over the side of the Genesee County border myself.

I use Joann's, Michaels and AC Moore too, imakecakes. I've been ordering any other toys online. icon_rolleyes.gif We really need a cake-decorating supply store around here ... I'm going to cross the border some time this year and go looking in the Toronto area. (One of the nice things about living in Buffalo ...!)

I'm a hobbyist, but I'm starting the process now to get my kitchen legalized. I do cakes for family and have a lot of fun with them but I'm really branching off into decorated cookies now. (I have some pix on here but haven't been able to post more in quite some time ... no idea why. icon_sad.gif )

imakecakes Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 75

Joshalow, The cake place off Ridge rd closed years ago icon_sad.gif

I have never heard of ann jerr's and a google search showed nothing, so I guess maybe they are gone, too.

Mysugarwish, Rochester is in Monroe County. I'm about a mile from Lake Ontario. I don't know where you are, but sadly, I doubt we're neighbors.

I know many people make cakes in my area, but don't know any who do 3D/carved/completely personalized cakes like I do. Recently, my cousin told me about a cake she saw delivered to her Docor's office that was a cup of hot cocoa shape. Knowing that there are a lot of those cakes here, it got me wondering if anyone from this site lives in Roch and is interested in meeting/chatting/networking.

imakecakes Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 75

Jillk, Your pics are too cute! I love the mermaid and the castles! Do youlike the castle kit? I have been wondering if it should be on my wish list. I have made 4 castle cakes now and wonder if using the kit would make it easier. Ya just never know with Wilton products, tho'. Sometimes they are great and sometimes they are total garbage.

I hear ya about updayting pics, too. Mine are all years old and are terrible quality b/c I they are scanned, not digital. All my digital ones are still on my camera--probably 2 years worth. One of these days I'll get those instruction thingys out that came with the camera and figure out how to get them off the camera and onto my photobucket pages. icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

mamaheath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaheath Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 75

I am new to the cake decorating but in my Wilton class many of the members go to this store in buffalo. I hear they are only open during the day. Anyone had experience with this store yet?

BakeMark - Buffalo, NY
1400 William St
Buffalo, NY 14206
Tel (716) 842-1200

irish559 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irish559 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:10am
post #11 of 75

My full time job is in Rochester, but I live in Waterloo. Just getting back into cakes after a 15 year break. I'd love to know the regs for my county (Seneca) so I can start doing things legally. I did my neice's wedding cake this past weekend so I called the local health department. The response was "don't worry about it". Not exactly what I expected to hear.
I've been stocking up at all the stores previously listed, as well as Hobby Lobby in Webster. Would love to find a better supplier locally.

irish559 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:11am
post #12 of 75

My full time job is in Rochester, but I live in Waterloo. Just getting back into cakes after a 15 year break. I'd love to know the regs for my county (Seneca) so I can start doing things legally. I did my neice's wedding cake this past weekend so I called the local health department. The response was "don't worry about it". Not exactly what I expected to hear.
I've been stocking up at all the stores previously listed, as well as Hobby Lobby in Webster. Would love to find a better supplier locally.

imakecakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:11pm
post #13 of 75

Irish559, Welcome and thanks for responding! How do you like the Hobby Lobby for cake stuff? I didn't even know we had one in the area until a couple weeks ago and have been meaning to get out there. My husband works for Xerox in Webster, so if it's a great place, maybe I can get him to pick up stuff on his way home.--like he knows what to look for! icon_lol.gif

From what I've read, to be legal from home, you basically have to have a seperate kitchen that follows the same regs as any restaurant kitchen. That's to do cakes.

You can get your family kitchen certified through the USDA to make and sell cookies, muffins, some breads, double crusted fruit pies. Let me see if I can copy a response from another post a few months ago. I'll be back.....

imakecakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:15pm
post #14 of 75

Here's a link to a post that sugarwishes started not too long ago.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-609677.htm

Hope it helps!l

irish559 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 11:54pm
post #15 of 75

Thanks imakecakes! Appreciate the welcome. I'm beginning to understand the addictive nature of this site. All the ideas, pictures and advice are bringing me up to speed in a hurry!

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 12:09am
post #16 of 75

I'm closer to Syracuse/Auburn area and there are a few tiny places around here that arent bad..don't stock a ton of stuff though, but can try to order anything..I do love Top Of The Cake in Syracuse..they even let you set up charge accounts too.

My brother lives in Monroe..anyone know of any places out there?

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 12:12am
post #17 of 75

Hi Everyone, I am in Arcade, NY. 1/2 way between Buffalo and Olean and about 1 hr 15 minutes from Rochester. We have family in Henrietta. I have tried Bakemark, I beleive thats what its called now. I think it has changed names a couple times. They have some decent stuff. But I mostly get supplies from Ac Moore and Joanns in Blasdell is the closest.

McMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
McMama Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:47am
post #18 of 75

Hi everyone! I live in Farmington which is about 10 minutes from Fairport and maybe 20/25 minutes from Rochester. I have been doing cakes professionally for about 15 years. I am licensed thru the NY State Department of Health. I am in Ontario County. I know the rules are different in Monroe County. I used AnnJerrs for many, many years. They were sold and the new owners did not last long. I miss having a supply store nearby. I use the local hobby shops but have had to order over the web. I am focusing more on cookies now rather than cakes and have always wanted to find another decorator to make referrals. Glad to have found this thread!

imakecakes Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:21pm
post #19 of 75

Yeah, more responses! Let the networking begin!!

I sometimes get calls from people in Fairport, Victor etc... who don't want to make the trip to my town (Greece) because it's too far away. I'd love to be able to say "I know a lady in Farmington, does that help you?" What's the name of your shop McMama?

But seriously, is there noone in Rochester doing these cakes? Surely there must be SOMEONE! Maybe I have the whole area to myself. Hmmmm that could be a good thing! Gotta get that website going! icon_lol.gif

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:30pm
post #20 of 75

hey everyone icon_lol.gif

i'm in syracuse area, and the only real 'cake shop' that i know of is the copaco/top of the cake on court st. top of the cake sold to copaco from what they told me, and they have a fair amount of stuff there, but i still wish they had more!

this is fun finding people in our area icon_smile.gif

cosmogurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cosmogurl Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:39pm
post #21 of 75

Saw this and had to post.
My son just started college in Rochester this past fall. My best friend and her husband lived there for years. My friend actually is an alumni of the college my son is in, thats how we knew about it. We live in NH

It seemed like a nice place when I brought him to start school.
Just wanted to add my 2 cents.
Laurie

JillK Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:21pm
post #22 of 75

Goodness, this is fun. icon_biggrin.gif

imakecakes, I do have the Wilton castle set. Eh ... it made cute cakes, but what a pain keeping the pillars in! It was such an adventure transporting them. If you can get it with a coupon, it may be worth it, but there are some adaptations necessary to make it work better ...

mamaheath, I've never been to Bakemark ... just can't get there during the weekday hours. icon_rolleyes.gif I've love to know what kind of stuff they have if anyone would care to share ... hint, hint ...

angelcakes5 ... My uncle and aunt live in Arcade! I grew up in Franklinville! icon_biggrin.gif (My folks still live there.) Such a small world ...

cosmogurl, where does your son go to college? Lots of good colleges in Rochester ...

cosmogurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cosmogurl Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:31pm
post #23 of 75

He goes to Rochester Institute of Technology.
Laurie

JillK Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:36pm
post #24 of 75

Thought of another question. I know several places to buy unusual cookie cutters here, but do you know of any out in Rochester? I mean, I only have 250 of them ... I need more! icon_biggrin.gif

Premier Gourmet and Vidler's 5&10 out this way have interesting selections, if you're interested. The former is in the Town of Tonawanda and the latter is in East Aurora.

(BTW, a friend of my husband's went to RIT. Great school.)

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:48pm
post #25 of 75

if you dont mind the drive, the Batavia Restaruant Supply is a great source for stuff... cookie cutters and everything you need. and somewhat cheap.

HTH

beckybhappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckybhappy Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:10pm
post #26 of 75

I live in Oakfield, 5 miles out of Batavia, and right smack in the middle of Buffalo AND Rochester. My bus aide run last year was to Rochester(Mary Cariola). My, what a small world!
I used to go to BRS all the time, and now that Batavia has a Michaels, I can go to either one. Finally! Out little hick county has a couple of choices! icon_biggrin.gif

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:52pm
post #27 of 75

I live in Buffalo. I'm addicted to bakemark. They have everything at that store. I mean everything, pans, tips, cookie cutters, bettercreme, flavorings, boxes, cakeboards, decorating kits, decorating tools, anything you can think off. They are more expensive then AC Moore so if you can buy it there check first. I go to bakemark for all the stuff I cant find elsewhere. They rock! I would love to start a buffalo club that got together to try different designs and can help each other grow. Anyone interested?

JillK Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:45pm
post #28 of 75

icon_eek.gif Oh, man, I have to find time to make it to Bakemark ...

There were a few people from this area getting together to talk cakes last year, but it kind of fell apart due to crazy schedules. I'd love to try again!

Pleased to "meet" you, Karema!

mjandros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjandros Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:50pm
post #29 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcakes5

Hi Everyone, I am in Arcade, NY. 1/2 way between Buffalo and Olean and about 1 hr 15 minutes from Rochester. We have family in Henrietta. I have tried Bakemark, I beleive thats what its called now. I think it has changed names a couple times. They have some decent stuff. But I mostly get supplies from Ac Moore and Joanns in Blasdell is the closest.

OMG - I never hear anyone mention Olean! That's where my MIL is from and my DH and my FIL both went to St. Bonaventure. We're taking a road trip to Olean this summer to visit relatives and going to see Niagara Falls. I've never seen the falls, but have been to Olean before....

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:29pm
post #30 of 75

Wow lots of upstaters here. That's good to know.

lasidus1 / chqtpi

I'm east of syracuse. I use to love Top of the Cake but they sold out a few years ago to Capaco. Capaco is good for some things, cake boxes and such but I have had problems ordering from them (I'm still waiting on an order I placed over a year ago). I wish there were other stores around.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%