If U Rent Kitchen Space, Who Do U Rent Frm & 4 How Much

Business By Trixyinaz Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 4:19am by gladyk

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 14

I need to live my dream, but I can't live that dream until I become legal so for now, I bake for friends and family (well, mostly friends since I don't have any family out here). Right now I am building my skills and perfecting my recipes.

I would love to go out and open my own shop, but it's just not feasible right now. So I am thinking about renting kitchen space so that I can get my license and all that jazz so I can build a business and eventually open my own shop.

If you rent, can you please check off where you rent from and then post how much you pay and if that is per hour, per day or per month.

Also, what type of questions do I need to ask "prospective" landlords? I was thinking of calling around to the churches in my area and some schools. Other than those two, I'm not sure who else to call and ask if they will rent some of their kitchen space to me. Thanks!

13 replies
janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 14

Ok, I'm not sure if I'm replying the right way, but I ticked off other, and now I'll explain! LOL!!
I don't usually rent space, since I am allowed to bake from home, but on occasion I do rent our community recreation hall, as it is inspected by the health department. (mine's still cleaner! LOL!!)
It cost $35 dollars/ day, with the use of all the equipment. There is really only a fridge & stove that I use, but it is an empty fridge, and that's helpful!!!

Trixyinaz Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks Jane! Do you mean your subdivision rec. hall? or like your city's rec. hall? Unfortunately, my sub doesn't have one.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 14

I live in the country, so it's our village's. They are all over the place in the country, nearly every town/village has one, and if you can get a lot of your orders for the same time, it can be really cost effective.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 14

i rent from a place that specializes in kitchen rental... I pay $65 a day... but when i do go i can be there for 24 hours if i have to... and most of the time I bulk all the baking up and stay there for like 18 hours...

Trixyinaz Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 14

What do you mean you bulk all the baking up?

pinklesley1 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 14

well since most of my orders are for saturday and sunday... and occasionally on friday.. i will go in on a wednesday, and make the cakes for all three days' orders...

instead of being in there on wed, thurs and friday... just make sure that the cake is very properly covered in plastic wrap... and then when you are ready to torte fll and crumb coat, you unwrap... and then you put it back in the fridge...

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 14

So, are you keeping things in their refrigerator? And you go back a second day to decorate and finish it all up?

Sorry for sounding uneducated... I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I appreciate any help!

pinklesley1 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 14

no i bring it home with me.. we are not allowed to keep anything in their fridge... I bring the cakes home crumbcoated, and most of the time fondanted...

then do the final details at home...

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 14

See, I think in my state it ALL has to be done off home premises. As much as I have always loved my state in the last few days I've detested it...

pinklesley1 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:35pm
post #11 of 14

I am not sure about here.. but i was once told, that if the main cake is done in the kitchen it was ok

i mean we take cakes unassembled to the venue, and add flowers and etc to the cake... so... i dont really see the diff...

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:58pm
post #12 of 14

I use the church that I work for during the day. The pastor lets me use their commercial kitchen free of charge, I just have to make sure no one is needing the kitchen on a night that I need to bake. It has worked out great since it is a small congregation and not too much activity happening in the evenings. But I really would rather have a storefront as it does tend to drive more business your way. So until the center that I am opening my storefront is completed I am baking out of the church and consulting out of my house.

moufette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moufette Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:48am
post #13 of 14

janebrophy...
Where are you in Ontario? I'm in Brampton and cannot bake and sell from home.
Even though renting a community centre kitchen is an option, it sounds like it would be a logistical nightmare.
What really 'frosts my cookies' is that I've been a few commercial kitchens and they aren't all that clean.
I was thinking that it opening up a Rent-a-Kitchen may be a good idea!

gladyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gladyk Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 4:19am
post #14 of 14

Keep an eye out for new building openings, for example, renovations. These places are often taking on new mortgages and a little extra rent can really help out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%