Serving Size Help!

Decorating By karapags Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 8:53pm by karapags

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 4

Hi

I need to make a topsy turvy cake at the end of the month. She wants the tiers all round and it needs to feed 190 people. I have done topsy turvy cakes before. I read that having a 3' difference in cake is easier. Like a 6, 9, 12... And it is easier.

My question is what size cakes do I make. When I try and figure it out it is either to big or too small. Does anyone have any idea.

Thanks so much!!

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 4

I've not done a TT cake, so I'm not much help as far as the servings (I know the carving and cutting is a factor and I've not worked with that). But I can offer that you will ALWAYS have either more or less. RARELY will you ever come up with a size combination that is just perfect for what the person is ordering. I usually tell them "we can do these sizes or those sizes ... do you want a little more or a little less?" It's their call. If they can't decide, then they get a little more (and the bigger invoice that goes with it.)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 4

It's not often one can hit the # of servings right on the nose.
You choose the size that comes the closest and ask the customer which of the two sizes they want (Higher or lower).

For 190 servings you are going to need 16, 12, 9, 6, serving all of it.
Actually I suggest making the lgst tier using a 14 or 15 layer & a 16 layer (for the tapering effect). Otherwise you will have to cut down a 16. Same w/the each tier. For the top (6?) the 2 layers can be the same size just cut one of the layers at a slant and give it a 1/2 turn when you put the filling in so the top slants.

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%