Icing Sides Of Cakes

Decorating By ALL58 Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 10:36pm by sugarshack

ALL58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALL58 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 10

How can I avoid getting a bulge around the middle of my cakes
(whether I use a fruit filling, or sometimes not). Any suggestions as to how I can eliminate this would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

9 replies
pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 10

My suggestion is to get sugarshacks dvd and learn the right way to do this. But basically, you need to make a dam around the outer edge between layers with a very stiff bc. The video will help a great deal!

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 10

You need to put a VERY stif dam of icing around the edges, meaning add a bunch of powdered sugar to your buttercream to the point where you can roll it in your hands. Also, don't fill the layers too much, and let them "rest" before covering them with either buttercream or fondant. If you let them rest for at least a few hours nature will take it's place and hopefully you can fix any bulge you get before you do your icing layers.

I learned most of this from sugarshacks DVD's. They are inexpensive and so very very very very helpful!! Here is the link..

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/buttercreamdvd.html

I'm telling you those DVD's will be one of the best tools you invest in (cake wise)!

HTH

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 10

I make a dam with extra thick icing around the cake. I bought Sharon's DVD and it helped me a lot.

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/buttercreamdvd.html

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 10

Us CC folks sure are consistent! The jury is out.. Sharron's DVD'S are a MUST! icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 10

tee hee! Thanks gals! might have to put ypu on commission! LOL

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 10

Oh I haven't even received my Sugarshack DVD yet, waiting on the mail, but I already know it's a winner! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 10

I just ordered the Sugarshack Buttercream and Fondant DVDs on Saturday. I can't wait to receive them!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 10

I know....I told Sharon I felt like Ralphie waiting on his Red Ryder BB Gun...icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:36pm
post #10 of 10

tee hee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%