Sugar Plumb Fairy

Decorating By grama_j Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 8:31pm by grama_j

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 13

Does anyone have instructions, and be willing to share, on how to do Debbie Brown's Sugar Plumb Fairy ? I can't firgure out how you would do all the ruffles in that skirt !......

12 replies
grama_j Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 13

ANYONE ????

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 13

I wish I knew! I just ordered the book.....

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 13

Hi!

I only have the twp party cake books...BUT....I found a forum topic on here explaining it......I hope it helps!!! Here it is!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/tutorial-for-ballerina-cake-like-ftopicp-6205907.html#6205907

cmoseley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmoseley Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 13

I believe she used a garrett frill. Just cut, frill the edges and layer. You can buy the cutter at GSA for $9.79. Hope this helps.

grama_j Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 13

Okay, am I wrong or is this "ballerina very small ? They all look LARGE to me, so am I wrong ?And you put the Barbie ( if you use that) into the cake like you would with any other doll cake and work from there ? I KNOw it will be time consuming, but it doesn't sound as hard as my mind is trying to make it....... PLEASE tell me I'm right ... icon_lol.gif

grama_j Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 13

OH ! I don't have a clue as to how to use a garret frill... this is the first I have heard that term..... icon_cry.gif

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 13

A garret frill is just a round scalloped edge cutter, nothing more, it cuts a donught shape wiht a scalloped outer edge. A scalloped cookie cutter would work just as well.

I've got the instuctions here, she uses 22g of paste to make the bodice and then 60g to make the head. shoulders, neck and arms. The skirt is made with an 8" cake. Does that help with the sizes?

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Sara

grama_j Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 13

Sara, that is a BIG help...... are the ruffles graduated ?

saracupcake Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 13

No, she uses one cutter to do the lot and the way she does it I don't think it would matter what size of cutter that you have.

She uses 60g of dusky pink fondant to start.

You need to cut out your scalloped circle and then using a smaller round cutter cut out a circle from the centre so you have a donut. Looking at the picture it looks about half an inch wide.
Taking a cocktail stick you roll it gently over each scallop to thin and frill. Cut the frill open (so it is a line rather than a donut) and then starting at the bottom glue it on to the side of the cake, reapeat again and again until you have gone round the whole cake. Once each layer of frill is glued on you add 15g of white paste to the remaining pink past to get the graduating colour. Keep going until the side of the cake is covered with frills.

Do you know what you are doing with the actual cake? She has carved it taking out wedges at the front and adding them at the back to give the dress volume. Let me know if you need info on that.

Sara

grama_j Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 13

" Do you know what you are doing with the actual cake?"
Nothing special... I have just wanted to try one..... You lost me with the "wedges"...........

saracupcake Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:09pm
post #12 of 13

Sorry, she explains it with diagrams which makes it easier to follow! I hope I'm not just confusing you.

If you left the top of the cake flat then the skirt would be all the one height, which would probably look fine but she has it rising up and down, it's higher at the back than the front. She explains it as

" Trim the crust from the cake and slice the top flat where it has risen. Trim around the base, cuting at an inward angle. Cut 3 triangular shaped wedges out of the top of the front of the cake. To give height to the back of the dress position these cut-out wedges on the top of the back half of the cake. Using buttercream sandwich the wedges in place then buttercream the entire surface of the cake to make sure the fondant sticks."
The cake is then covered in fondant and the frills are stuck onto the fondant.

Sara

grama_j Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 8:31pm
post #13 of 13

I THINK I've got it..... I've seen some that weren't done like that, and they were just " up and down layers", and didn't look right.... This is going to be FUN....... thank you for all your help !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%