Bridal Fairs

Decorating By bubba01 Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 3:45pm by kakeladi

bubba01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba01 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! For those of you who do bridal fairs, do you offer the brides a discount at the show to get them to sign with you? I just had a bridal fair this weekend and I never offer any discounts to sign with me but there was a harpist there who told me that I was doing my business wrong. She said I needed to offer the brides a 10-20% discount on the spot to get them to sign with you. Do any of you agree with her? Thanks.

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 5

It's a marketing technique that you could use if you were just starting out or it's something you could do to increase sales. You might want to discount if you find out that your competition at the bridal fair is giving a discount -- so that you get some of the business too!

It's really up to you. It wouldn't be bad for you to do it.. but you're cutting into your profit by doing so! Personally, I wouldn't do it if it weren't one of the three things listed above. Somebody else might have more idea's.

Goodluck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 5

I've mentioned before that I got some nice free advice from a very expensive marketing guy .... never discount. It's always ok to ad value, but never discount.

For example I might offer 2 doz free choc covered strawberries for the head table if they book within a week. I might offer 6 dippable foods with a chocolate fountain instead of the usual four. I will add something if they book with me ... I will not take less money if they book with me.

But it's all up to you.

montanabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanabaker Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 5

I like Indydebi's advice...because cutting 10% to 20% could really cut into the profit of a wedding cake, but to add a little something seems fun and doesn't cut into your profits that much.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 5

I prefer to have the brides come into my shop than book at a show.
Offering a discount really doesn't get you that many bookings to be worth the effort.
You might give them some kind of upgrade (or not charge for some special detail) *once they come into the shop & finalize the order*.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%