Newbie With Questions

Decorating By clacourse0830 Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 6:27am by JanH

clacourse0830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clacourse0830 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:37am
post #1 of 6

Hello, all. Newbie here and I have a few questions to make sure I am going about this the right way. lol

I have a wedding cake to do for Saturday. They want butterflies. I was going to do either Royal Icing or Color Flow icing butterflies and just color them with edible markers. (I have seen several pictures on this site, and they are all great!) Would this be a wise decision? I am not the most apt at drawing symmetrically. lol. If there would be an easier way for me to do it, I am all ears. Also, if I want to make buttercream roses, how long will they take to dry? I am probably going to make them either Monday or Tuesday, just to get them out of the way since I am not only doing the cake, but also the food for the wedding. (Very small wedding lol)

Just wanted to make sure I was going about this the right way since this is only my second wedding cake (my own was the first). Thanks for any and all suggestions, and I will be around. That's for sure! icon_lol.gif

-Chelsea

5 replies
SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:52am
post #2 of 6

First of all..Welcome to CC!!!!

Well, I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure your roses will be fine if you start them mon or tues.

Instead of drawing butterflies just print a picture out and use that to trace. I found a cake with butterflies on it once, printed it out and traced the butterflies. Perfect template. Then just make copies so you can make more than one butterfly at a time.

I'm not sure about coloring them with edible markers though. Hopefully someone else can answer your questions.

Good luck with your cake!!! icon_biggrin.gif

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:12am
post #3 of 6

I'm not a fan of drawing on RI with markers. I don't think it looks really good. I would just print a picture of a butterfly, trace and fill with RI of different colors. It will look much more professional IMO.

clacourse0830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clacourse0830 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks all!

sweetheartsmama, I think your idea is much better than "coloring" the butterflies. lol. Will RI take color better than BC? I need black. And, should I do the colors separately and let each dry before doing the next or can I just do it all at the same time?

SweetPea0613, Thanks for that suggestion! I think I saw a few templates on this site so I will probably use them for this. It will make things a lot easier. lol.

Once again, thank you guys! I really appreciate it! icon_biggrin.gif

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:13am
post #5 of 6

No problem!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:27am
post #6 of 6

Hi and Welcome to CC, clacourse0830. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Another option would be CT butterflies. Here's shalderman's tutorial: