Low Carb Dessert Ideas Needed

Lounge By rlowry03 Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 6:57pm by rlowry03

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:25am
post #1 of 16

I need some more dessert ideas! I'm a sugar junkie, but I'm going low carb right now. I know about the typical jello. But I want chocolate cake! Imagine that... craving cake lol. Please help me keep my sanity...

15 replies
taxnerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxnerd Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:42am
post #2 of 16

I like ricotta cheese or plain yogurt based desserts. Just add unsweetened cocoa powder, your favorite fresh fruit, or your favorite no sugar added jam (melted) into the ricotta or yogurt. Sweeten with your favorite low-carb sweetener (I like Stevia, but Sweet and Low or Equal would probably also work) and add a little vanilla if you want.

rlowry03 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:51am
post #3 of 16

I have tried the ricotta with cocoa, but I can't get past the texture. I'll have to try the yogurt.

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:41am
post #4 of 16

CHEESECAKES!

They are very easy to adapt to low carb. Use splenda instead of sugar, make a nut crust instead of graham cracker. Choc is ok, use a 62% cocoa chips in it.

DH was just reminding me about Panna Cotta. Its an Italian Dessert made with Heavy Whipping cream, gelatin, vanilla and sugar (substitute Splenda)

Strawberries sliced with melted choc chips (62% cocoa) and topped with Whipped Heavy whipping cream (favorite around here even when we're not low carbing it)

Barb

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:12am
post #5 of 16

Try half cup of ricotta with a packet of splenda or sweetener of your choice and vanilla and a ton of saigon cinnamon. Mmmm

I mean I was just shaking a small quantity out of the shaker and like a whole tablespoon came out. Oopsie--but it was awesome!

rlowry03 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:39am
post #6 of 16

Oooh, I forgot about panna cotta. I used to make it, I'll be pulling that recipe out again. Thanks!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:00am
post #7 of 16

I am practically a tea totaler but I tell yah, 2 teaspons of bourbon in any plain old sugar free jello makes it so much better. I mean you don't even come close to tasting any alcohol at all. It's like vanilla for jello. Really makes a difference for moi.

I love the Healthy Choice fudgsicles which are only 80 calories I believe and there's other really good ice cream things. In fact I just had a Guilt Free brand ice cream bar--it's 100 calories--it's the size of a half popsicle--but very good--covered in chocolate!

joshalow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joshalow Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:41am
post #8 of 16

I have to agree with Barbaranoel- Cheesecake is so easy to make as a low-carb dessert and tastes as good as the regular. I'd make mine with cream cheese, egg, and Splenda. I'd bake it in cupcake liners, for individual cheesecakes- and stick them in the freezer.

You can also take the sugar free puddings and mix them with heavy cream and create a flavored whip- ie chocolate pudding, pistachio, white chocolate, etc- just use the sugar free instant pudding mixes.

rlowry03 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:57am
post #9 of 16

I have always done a mousse made with whipping cream, cocoa powder, and splenda. I didn't think of trying it with sugar free pudding. That sounds really good!

I also tried a recipe I found where you mix lime jello with a can of coconut milk and water. Really good. Much better than plain jello. I've also done jello mixed with sour cream, also really good and not as sweet as jello and cool whip.

I'm about 4 days into the diet now so I'm not going quite as insane, but I'm still craving the sugar!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowry03

I have always done a mousse made with whipping cream, cocoa powder, and splenda. I didn't think of trying it with sugar free pudding. That sounds really good!

I also tried a recipe I found where you mix lime jello with a can of coconut milk and water. Really good. Much better than plain jello. I've also done jello mixed with sour cream, also really good and not as sweet as jello and cool whip.

I'm about 4 days into the diet now so I'm not going quite as insane, but I'm still craving the sugar!

Check the calorie count on the coconut milk It might be high.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 16

Do a google search on Low Carb Flourless Chocolate Cake. There are a ton of recipes out there. Ive never tried any (I usually stick with low carb cheesecake), but they all sound delicious.

rlowry03 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:58pm
post #12 of 16

k8memphis, the coconut milk is very low carb, 1g per serving with no sugar. Natural coconut is not sweet, it's just always sold sweetened!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:33pm
post #13 of 16

GHet george Stella's cookbooks. He's got a great walnut brownie recipe. However be sure not to use Splenda alone. You have to mix in other sweetners - splenda make chocoalte more bitter.

Also try here:
http://www.lowcarbluxury.com
they have lots of dessert recipes

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 7:34pm
post #14 of 16

Get George Stella's cookbooks. He has two. He's got great walnut brownies and key lime cheesecake recipes. However be sure not to use Splenda alone. You have to mix in other sweetners - splenda make chocoalte more bitter.

Also try here:
http://www.lowcarbluxury.com
they have lots of dessert recipes

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:49am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowry03

k8memphis, the coconut milk is very low carb, 1g per serving with no sugar. Natural coconut is not sweet, it's just always sold sweetened!

Really. Somehow I got the idea coconut anything was real high in calories or something, fat grams?

So is this easy from a can or are you actually milking coconuts?

rlowry03 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:57pm
post #16 of 16

I don't have the can anymore but I think it is pretty high in fat and calories, something like 500 calories per cup. But I figure when it's mixed with water and jello, if you eat a regular serving you only get about 1/8th of a cup. And a little fat will keep me satisfied much longer than basic jello! Otherwise I'm right back in there looking for more sweets!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%