Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

jessigurl182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessigurl182 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 10:52pm
post #331 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessigurl182

For an andes mint cake with 2 boxes of chocolate cake mix how many andes mints would you add? and would you need to add anything more to the chocolate WASC cake since you are adding the mints?

You should buy mints that are designed for baking. Unfortunately I can only find Andes baking pieces around the holidays, but you buy them online. Here are a couple to try:
http://www.preparedpantry.com/gourmet-mint-chocolate-chips-for-baking.aspx

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?id=1609

I haven't tried the real Andes candies, but I'm assuming they might melt down to nothing. They'd leave a great flavor behind, though!

I did add a dram of LoRann creme de menthe to my cake batter, but it doesn't really need it.

Thank you again! I am going through all your recipes and I am falling in love with each one of them.. my stomach is also!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 10:54pm
post #332 of 6536

For anyone thats interested - last night I tried some "gourmet" flavors. Teramisu cupcakes (using Amoretti compound) with vanilla bean creme filling (frostin' pride + vanilla bean compound + milk). And, orange cupcakes (used loranna orange oil and fresh zest) filled with orange cream (frostin' pride + orange curd).

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 10:59pm
post #333 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats242

MacsMom...I may have just missed it, but do you have a favorite buttercream recipe? Thanks for sharing all your flavors and ideas...I can't wait to try some of them!

Jen

Don't laugh at all of the ingredients - I don't even know why they are there! I just looked up a bunch of different BC recipes and threw in everything I saw in other recipes. The only thing I didn't add from a recipe was a pkg of Dream Whip because I assumed that meringue powder would have the same effect...
I like it because the addition of other stuff cuts down on the sweetness.

I beat the heck out of it, too, to get it really light and fluffy:
1-1/3 c hi-ratio shortening  
2 lbs PS      
1/4 c flour  
2 T cornstarch     
1 t salt        
2 T meringue powder  
1 c vanilla flavored coffee creamer  
2 T corn syrup
3 T butter flavor

cats242 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats242 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:03pm
post #334 of 6536

Thanks! Is hi-ratio the same as crisco? I've never seen hi-ratio.

MacsMom Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:03pm
post #335 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

I have tried the nail method, but then they started getting rusty and stopped using them. I do use the core and then plug it up again. The hole that I was talking about was from where the cake sank. Anyway, the core worked wonderfully in the WASC cakes I made. I won't be able to finish this until tomorrow, but I'll keep you posted.

Now, what can I make that would have a layer of dulce de leche in it? icon_wink.gif

Banana cake with dulce de leche.... yummy!

Dumb question... what is dulce de leche? Is it different from caramel?

MacsMom Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:13pm
post #336 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats242

Thanks! Is hi-ratio the same as crisco? I've never seen hi-ratio.

Hi-ratio shortening contains emulsifiers that allows you to add more liquid, is more temperature stable and will hold air better upon whipping, improving volume and stability of icing.

If you use Crisco, use 2 cups.

jessigurl182 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:18pm
post #337 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

I have tried the nail method, but then they started getting rusty and stopped using them. I do use the core and then plug it up again. The hole that I was talking about was from where the cake sank. Anyway, the core worked wonderfully in the WASC cakes I made. I won't be able to finish this until tomorrow, but I'll keep you posted.

Now, what can I make that would have a layer of dulce de leche in it? icon_wink.gif

Banana cake with dulce de leche.... yummy!

Dumb question... what is dulce de leche? Is it different from caramel?

It is just like caramel but more of a liquid sauce.

iheartcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcookies Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:18pm
post #338 of 6536

wow, this is an awesome thread, I have never posted here but read a lot and get great ideas! Macmom- I am wondering if you might tell me how you make cake for the Tiramisu cake- it sounds delicious!

MacsMom Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm
post #339 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by coll1114

wow, this is an awesome thread, I have never posted here but read a lot and get great ideas! Macmom- I am wondering if you might tell me how you make cake for the Tiramisu cake- it sounds delicious!

I use the WASC recipe and use Coffee Mate's Italian Sweet Cream liquid creamer in place of half of the water. They do have a Tiramisu creamer that I haven't tried, I just thought I'd stick with the sweet cream to mimic the lady fingers. I use 2 t vanilla and 2 t butter extract.

Espresso Syrup:
2/3 c of water
1½ c PS       
5 t instant coffee granules

In a small heavy saucepan over high heat, combine water, PS & coffee. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Let cool. Poke holes into cakes; brush with syrup.

Mascarpone Filling
1 c mascarpone cheese (from tub)
¼ c sweetened condensed milk
3 T Kahlua (or coffee extract)     
2 c whipped Frostin Pride

Blend it all together icon_wink.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:04am
post #340 of 6536

Boy there's a lot of great recipes in this thread!! Thanks y'all for sharing!! icon_biggrin.gif

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:17am
post #341 of 6536

Wow, I am so impressed with this thread, and all of these fabulous recipes!! I'm sending my hubby to the store as we speak!! Macsmom, Thanks for the effort you've invested in this thread - very useful to so many of us!!

jessigurl182 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:24am
post #342 of 6536

MacsMom would you mind sharing your recipe for the Orange chocolate chip cake? TIA

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:59am
post #343 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

For anyone thats interested - last night I tried some "gourmet" flavors. Teramisu cupcakes (using Amoretti compound) with vanilla bean creme filling (frostin' pride + vanilla bean compound + milk). And, orange cupcakes (used loranna orange oil and fresh zest) filled with orange cream (frostin' pride + orange curd).

sayhellojana
I would be interested in your yummy sounding recipes if you would like to post them.
Tammy

MacsMom Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:24am
post #344 of 6536
Quote:

MacsMom would you mind sharing your recipe for the Orange chocolate chip cake? TIA

I just add mimi-choclate chips to the dreamsicle recipe, and use the milk chocolate truffle filling, adding a dram of LoRann orange cream flavor to the truffle filling (or you can use 1 t orange extract).

Orange Dreamsicle (just in case!)
1 box white cake mix         
1 c flour
1 pkg vanilla pudding
2 c melted orange sherbet
2 Yoplait orange creamsicle yogurt
1 c sugar
2 t orange extract
3 eggs
2 T oil

jessigurl182 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:55am
post #345 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

I just add mimi-choclate chips to the dreamsicle recipe, and use the milk chocolate truffle filling, adding a dram of LoRann orange cream flavor to the truffle filling (or you can use 1 t orange extract).

Orange Dreamsicle (just in case!)
1 box white cake mix         
1 c flour
1 pkg vanilla pudding
2 c melted orange sherbet
2 Yoplait orange creamsicle yogurt
1 c sugar
2 t orange extract
3 eggs
2 T oil

Thank you so much! That is what I was assuming but I wanted to make sure!

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:07am
post #346 of 6536
Quote:

...I wonder what a french fry and ketchup cake would taste like? lol.

I LOVE ketchup, I mean I really LOVE ketchup, I like ketchup on my ketchup.......but I draw the line at ketchup cake icon_biggrin.gif

jessigurl182 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:12am
post #347 of 6536

For all of you that received your Amoretti samples what do you plan on making with them? Like I received almond flour but I have no idea what to do with it.. any ideas?

kake4me2 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:18am
post #348 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kake4me2

Quote:

Ack!! I forgot! Okay, I'll dream one up in a bit...

Oh my goodness, I didn't mean to put you on the spot. Whenever- if ever, you get the time I would really appreciate it..or should I say my hubby would really appreciate it icon_razz.gif !

Well, I've looked at recipes for honey cake and I think it would work just fine to use yellow cake mix with the only change in the WASC recipe being to substitute 1 c of the sugar for 1 c honey. Use butter extract and vanilla extract, and perhaps add mini-chocolate chips. (Or maybe a milk chocolate cake with honey! icon_surprised.gif )

The filling would be something like Bettercreme or Truffle filling with crushed up honeycomb mixed in. Like Cadbury's "Crunchie" bar.

I know the Crunchie bar well as that is My Hubbies FAVORITE!!!!!

Thx for the recipe, We really appreciate it!! I will try it outthis weekend, if i can hunt up a crunchie bar or I might just use the leftover honeycomb I made for my hubby!

Carda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carda Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:25am
post #349 of 6536

Wow, I am brand new on this site and brand new to cake deco, and this thread just blows my mind!

I am a Dane living in Bermuda and so felt so dissapointed at first when I read about all these ingredients I have enver heard of or seen in Bermuda, but the Coolwhip option was my salvation! I just want to ask, when you talk about pudding mixes, what are they exactly? Jell-o stuff or what? We probably don't have that many flavours here, but I'll have a look.

Oh, and someone mentioned an awesome maple-flavoured buttercream; I was thinking a good combo would be Blueberry cake with that filling, like blueberry pancake with maple syrup inspired.

kake4me2 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:29am
post #350 of 6536

Super Wal Marts have begun carrying them, but not in my town.

Mine had many different flavors for pretty cheap at xmas, but now they don't have them any more, I wish I had stocked up icon_cry.gif

kake4me2 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:42am
post #351 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

not sure if it is extract, oil or compound

What is a compound????

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:46am
post #352 of 6536

It has taken me off an on all day reading but I finally got the entire thread read! Thanks to everyone contributing recipes here! Some of them sound very good!! Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:49am
post #353 of 6536

I am a scratch baker, but I have a question regarding adding pudding to recipes. Does the pudding make the cake "hazardous foods" because I have a "non-hazardous foods" license, and I'm not sure where to draw the line. I'd rather not just assume it doesn't.
My thought~ it wouldn't be cool for someone to get sick because I didn't know if something required refrigeration. icon_redface.gif

Could you please tell me if cakes with pudding require refrigeration? Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:41am
post #354 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carda

I am a Dane living in Bermuda and so felt so dissapointed at first when I read about all these ingredients I have enver heard of or seen in Bermuda, but the Coolwhip option was my salvation! I just want to ask, when you talk about pudding mixes, what are they exactly? Jell-o stuff or what? We probably don't have that many flavours here, but I'll have a look

Hi Dane! Yes, I mean the JellO pudding mixes - the dry powder. Do not mix them with milk, just dump it in dry.

MacsMom Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:43am
post #355 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Could you please tell me if cakes with pudding require refrigeration? Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif

Not unless it's a pudding filling! I add the dry pudding powder to cake mixes - it should not be hazardous icon_wink.gif

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:46am
post #356 of 6536
Quote:

For all of you that received your Amoretti samples what do you plan on making with them? Like I received almond flour but I have no idea what to do with it.. any ideas?

i have not received mine yet icon_sad.gif

jessigurl182 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:18am
post #357 of 6536

Does anyone have a recipe for a cherry chocolate ricotta filling I've looked everywhere and can't find anything icon_sad.gif

MacsMom Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:27am
post #358 of 6536
Quote:

Does anyone have a recipe for a cherry chocolate ricotta filling I've looked everywhere and can't find anything icon_sad.gif

Cherry Chocolate Chip Ricotta Filling
2 (8oz) packages of cream cheese
15oz ricotta           
1 c powdered sugar         
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 t almond extract
16oz marachino cherries, chopped
1 t juice from marachino cherries
1 c mini chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients, refrigerate for an hour, or until spreadable.

jessigurl182 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:33am
post #359 of 6536
Quote:

Quote:

Cherry Chocolate Chip Ricotta Filling
2 (8oz) packages of cream cheese
15oz ricotta           
1 c powdered sugar         
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 t almond extract
16oz marachino cherries, chopped
1 t juice from marachino cherries
1 c mini chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients, refrigerate for an hour, or until spreadable.

Thank you so much again MacsMom... I don't know what we all would have done without you!

MacsMom Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:58am
post #360 of 6536

The recipe is kansaswolf's - I forgot to give her credit!! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%