Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:11pm
post #5881 of 6536

macsmom: I went to that thread you told me about and I guess I need more clarification. I went into the forum, recipes, tip and tricks and the first sticky. I found a listing for the banana filling, but no recipe. Where is the recipe portion of that? Thanks again. I know I must be missing something. thanks.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:27pm
post #5882 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

macsmom: I went to that thread you told me about and I guess I need more clarification. I went into the forum, recipes, tip and tricks and the first sticky. I found a listing for the banana filling, but no recipe. Where is the recipe portion of that? Thanks again. I know I must be missing something. thanks.

Jules, here are the two banana fillings from the list:

Banana Cream Filling - submitted by pinkbox
(from http://www.fromkarenskitchen.com/recipes/cake/index.php )
1 cup milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour or cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 large banana, mashed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
*In a pan, heat milk until very hot but not boiling. In a bowl, mix the sugar, flour, and salt. Stir in the milk; beat until well blended. Pour back into the pan and continue stirring vigorously over low heat for 4 to 5 minutes, until very thick and smooth. Add egg yolks and cook for a few more minutes. Cool. Beat mashed bananas until smooth, add lemon juice and stir into the cooled filling.

Banana Custard Filling - submitted by pinkbox
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
7 cups milk
4 egg yolks beaten
1/4 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
9 medium bananas, mashed
*Combine sugar, flour, and cornstarch. Mix well, and set aside. Pour milk into a large sauce pan, cook over medium heat until candy thermometer reaches 160°F (71°C). Gradually stir one fourth of the hot milk into yolks. Stir in dry ingredients, and add remaining hot milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the spoon. Remove from heat and stir in butter, vanilla. and bananas. Let cool to room temperature.

mmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmich Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:54pm
post #5883 of 6536

I'm not sure anyone can answer me in time--I'm always putting things off to the last possible moment.

But, I want to make white chocolate cake (actually, I'm doing a checkerboard cake for a race car part). On the document is a white chocolate raspberry. Obviously, I don't want raspberry. Can't find white chocolate yogurt--any suggestions on how to do the substitution?

jules5000 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:59pm
post #5884 of 6536

Thank you Bobwonderbuns: I appreciate that. However, for future use could you tell me how to find these or others like them again. I might not be so lucky that you would be on and I would be in a pickle. Thank you very much. I know that I had seen the variations and recipes on the cakes that macsmom makes up, but I don't recall how I got there and I don't recall this last time seeing the fillings and icings, but I had seen them once when I went to look. It kind of makes you think you are going crazy. kind of like when we are all trying to find a certain cake and no one can find it. Thank you again

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 6:14pm
post #5885 of 6536
Quote:

Thank you Bobwonderbuns: I appreciate that. However, for future use could you tell me how to find these or others like them again. I might not be so lucky that you would be on and I would be in a pickle. Thank you very much. I know that I had seen the variations and recipes on the cakes that macsmom makes up, but I don't recall how I got there and I don't recall this last time seeing the fillings and icings, but I had seen them once when I went to look. It kind of makes you think you are going crazy. kind of like when we are all trying to find a certain cake and no one can find it. Thank you again

Jules, here is the recipe link. The fillings are towards the bottom of the page. https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

jules5000 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 6:21pm
post #5886 of 6536

mmich: I have seen so many people on here that use lorann candy flavorings. Why couldn't you try to take some vanilla yogurt and add some White Chocolate flavoring for it? I don't honestly know myself if there is such a thing, but as many flavors as she has I imagine that there is and if not maybe you could see if you could mix white chocolate pudding with white chocolate yogurt? I think there is a white chocolate pudding out there. I think that Jello makes it. just a couple of ideas. Maybe there will be some that can tell you a better way to do this.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 6:30pm
post #5887 of 6536

I would just use vanilla yogurt. The yogurt doesn't add a whole lot of flavor like the other flavors do.

mmich Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 6:33pm
post #5888 of 6536

The recipe on the doc calls for both 1 package of white chocolate pudding and 2 cups white chocolate raspberry yogurt. Not wanting the raspberry flavoring is my issue.

I'm not a natural cook--must have a recipe--so I'm not sure how to sub the liquid.

Adding white chocolate flavoring to regular yogurt might be an idea... Not sure if Ican find any. Or if I could/should just add more white chocolate syrup and cut back on the yogurt? Or leave the same?

I'm so not a cook in that context.

mmich Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 6:36pm
post #5889 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

I would just use vanilla yogurt. The yogurt doesn't add a whole lot of flavor like the other flavors do.

Thanks! Would you add any extra white chocolate flavoring at all? Or just leave it be.

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 7:05pm
post #5890 of 6536
Quote:

Just look in the info in my signature. Go to Forums, then Recipe Tips and Ideas and it's the first sticky called "The Recipe Links Are Here." Find the updated page (in my signature) and click on Help Gourmet Flavors (or whatever thread you are looking for) -- there is a link to both the Gourmet Flavors thread proper and the google doc for that thread. If you are looking for the recipes, go to the google doc and scroll down -- they listed the cakes first, then the icings then the fillings. I have nothing to do with HOW these google docs are set up -- you would have to talk to MacsMom or whoever did that google doc and address your concerns there. I merely put them all in one place. Hope that helps. icon_smile.gif

jules5000 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:25pm
post #5891 of 6536

I tried to write earlier, but my computer is going on and off of working correctlyand it is driving me nuts. I looked through the whole list that Bobwonderbuns sent me the site for and it is awesome. I have a few questions about several of them, but I am only going to address one right now. I noticed that there were several that called for coffee creamer. I also noticed that there already seemed like quite a few liquids to the recipes and wondered if that was a dry creamer or the liquid? I don't drink coffee and my husband drinks his black. Thanks for any help.

Spicygirl6975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spicygirl6975 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 6:00am
post #5892 of 6536

Macsmom: I am making the white chocolate truffle and raspberry fillings this week. The recipes give the ingrediants but not directions on how to properly make them. Could you please post directions? Thank you

jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 12:24am
post #5893 of 6536

I would love those too, as well as spicygirl. They sound wonderful. Thanks.

kryptonite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kryptonite Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 5:40pm
post #5894 of 6536

Has anybody tried making cupcakes with Macsmom's Strawberry or Red Velvet recipes? Any tips/feedback? I just now read that Macsmom wasn't crazy about the strawberry recipe in the google doc icon_sad.gif , but I need to make these today, so I don't have time to go search for the elusive strawberry cake mix, which is what she most recently suggested using (instead of the strawberry dacquiri mix). Thanks, everyone!!
P.S. I hope this makes sense...I'm running on less than an hour of sleep icon_rolleyes.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 7:40pm
post #5895 of 6536

I've made the Red Velvet recipe and it's now one of my most requested flavors! icon_biggrin.gif

kryptonite Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 8:28pm
post #5896 of 6536

Thanks, bobwonderbuns! Good to know icon_smile.gif I hope it does well in cupcake form. I went to SEVEN stores, and couldn't find the dark chocolate mix, so hopefully the chocolate fudge will yield similar results.

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 8:35pm
post #5897 of 6536

That's what I used, the chocolate fudge mix. It will do fine!! icon_biggrin.gif

jules5000 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:26pm
post #5898 of 6536

kryptonite: I wish I had seen this request yesterday. I have a yummy strawberry cake from Paula deen that I have made at least 2 or 3 times and always gets raves when I make it. If you want I can pm it to you later. Hope you found something suitable to use meantime. best wishes.

KathieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathieB Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:43pm
post #5899 of 6536
Quote:

kryptonite: I wish I had seen this request yesterday. I have a yummy strawberry cake from Paula deen that I have made at least 2 or 3 times and always gets raves when I make it. If you want I can pm it to you later. Hope you found something suitable to use meantime. best wishes.

If you wouldn't mind I am looking for a strawberry cake too. Thank you!

jules5000 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 6:11pm
post #5900 of 6536

I will just put it on here tomorrow. I have a very busy day today, but will get to it tomorrow. I have already had one other request so will post it tomorrow or later tonight if I am not too exhausted.

kryptonite Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 6:20pm
post #5901 of 6536

Thanks Bobwonderbuns! They went over pretty well. The strawberry ones did not, however (I'm just going by what others said. I have severe sinus issues, so I haven't been able to taste or smell for years) I'll keep a lookout for your recipe, jules5000 (no rush, though) Thank you!

KathieB Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 6:31pm
post #5902 of 6536
Quote:

I will just put it on here tomorrow. I have a very busy day today, but will get to it tomorrow. I have already had one other request so will post it tomorrow or later tonight if I am not too exhausted.

Thank you, Jules5000!

jules5000 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 6:40pm
post #5903 of 6536

The recipe for icing for my strawberry cake is a cream cheese one that is scrumptious, but I am sure that if anyone had a need to not use the cream cheese that you could use a buttercream and strawberry puree for the flavoring. I haven't tried this particular one w/o the icing recipe that came with it, but I have added strawberry puree to my buttercream before and never had a problem with strawberry flavoring coming through strong enough. and if it is not stiff enough add just a little more PS. When I have made it, I have not tried to decorate it, just brought it as it was. No complaints. I did make it for a recipe recently and did a decorated cake with it. Used the cream cheese icing for the filling and buttercream for the icing under the fondant and it did fine. I always use a dam between layers even if just using buttercream as my filling. Never have had a problem with leakish out the sides since knowing about dams and using them. The buttercream recipe that I usually use is a stiff one so even if you pour a good amount of strawberry puree in to flavor it, it is perfect for spreading on the cake. A good friend in my cake club shared her BC recipe with me and I love it.

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 6:47pm
post #5904 of 6536

Hey, speaking of gourmet flavors, did y'all see this new book that's coming out?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0847858081/?tag=cakecentral-20

I had to preorder it -- it sounds fabulous!! icon_biggrin.gif

jules5000 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 2:24am
post #5905 of 6536

Here it is everyone:

Simply Delicious Strawberry Cake
Paula Deens magazine

1 18.25oz. Box White cake mix
1-3oz box Strawberry gelatin
1-10oz pkg. Frozen Strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed*
4 lg. Eggs
½ C. Vegetable Oil
¼ C. Water
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting, recipe follows
Garnish: Sliced Fresh Strawberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2 round 9 pans. In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add pureed strawberries, eggs, oil and water; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared pans, and bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Spread strawberry cream cheese icing in between layers and on top and sides of the cake. Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries if desired.

* I did not find 10 oz containers of strawberries in syrup in the freezer department so what I did was buy the bag of frozen strawberries(32oz, whole), put them in a bowl of cold water to thaw out as quickly as possible. After about an half an hour, put about half of the package in my food processor to cut up and poured about ½ c. sugar on them and let them sit another half an hour and pureed in processor. This worked well. I measured about 10 oz and finished as directions said.

Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting

Makes about 4 cups.

¼ c. Butter, softened
1 8oz. Pkg. Cream Cheese, softened
1-10oz. Pkg. frozen Strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed Strawberries*
1/2t. Strawberry extract
7 C. Confectioners Sugar

In a large bowl, beat butter and cream chese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in ¼ C. strawberry puree, reserve remaining for another use. Beat in extract. Gradually add confectioners sugar, beating until smooth.
* as you can see the recipe calls for 10 oz container and only uses ¼ c. If I did find a 10 oz pkg of the strawberries it called for my 10 oz. would be short a 1/4c. As I would not buy another 10 oz. pkg for ¼ cup. As I had more than I needed I used what was called for and yes I had lots left over too.

KathieB Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 12:50pm
post #5906 of 6536

Thankyou Jules5000. Sounds good. Maybe this wekend I will try it.

Noura80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noura80 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 10:45am
post #5907 of 6536

first of all I'd like to thank everyonw for giving us a piece of their mind, much appreciated.

I made this cake yesterday but it kind of turned out a bit dense and did not rise that well. the recipe is of a peanut butter cake that I took from this thread. I added an additional 1/4 cup of liquid coffee creamer and instead of the egg whites, I used 3 whole eggs (I halved the recipe FYI).

can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

here's the recipe:

Peanut Butter Cake
2 pkgs white cake mix
1 1/2 c creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 c coffee creamer
1 c butter, softened
8 egg whites

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 3:51pm
post #5908 of 6536

Offhand my guess is that there was not enough liquid and you needed another egg. Plus if it didn't rise that great you may have had too much sugar in it. I'm looking at the butter and peanut butter ingredients -- that's your density issue. I would have used oil instead of peanut butter. Oh, and two egg whites = 1 whole egg. So if you used three eggs, I would add another one. But that's just my guess. It's one of those "take the suggestions and try again, taking lots of notes" situations. icon_biggrin.gif I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

Noura80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noura80 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 6:58am
post #5909 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Offhand my guess is that there was not enough liquid and you needed another egg. Plus if it didn't rise that great you may have had too much sugar in it. I'm looking at the butter and peanut butter ingredients -- that's your density issue. I would have used oil instead of peanut butter. Oh, and two egg whites = 1 whole egg. So if you used three eggs, I would add another one. But that's just my guess. It's one of those "take the suggestions and try again, taking lots of notes" situations. icon_biggrin.gif I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

I added almost 1 cup of coffee creamer do I need more liquid added too?

I'll be adding an extra egg and see what happens.

as for the sugar, I didn't add any. I followed the above recipe as is.

do you mean I should have used oil instead of butter not peanut butter (hence the peanut butter cake lol)

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 8:49am
post #5910 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noura80

first of all I'd like to thank everyonw for giving us a piece of their mind, much appreciated.

I made this cake yesterday but it kind of turned out a bit dense and did not rise that well. the recipe is of a peanut butter cake that I took from this thread. I added an additional 1/4 cup of liquid coffee creamer and instead of the egg whites, I used 3 whole eggs (I halved the recipe FYI).

can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

here's the recipe:

Peanut Butter Cake
2 pkgs white cake mix
1 1/2 c creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 c coffee creamer
1 c butter, softened
8 egg whites

I don't know how that recipe got so mangled, but here is the recipe I use - it is in the Google doc:

Peanut Butter Cake - Betty Crocker (not WASC) *doubled version
2 pkgs white cake mix
1 c creamy peanut butter
6 eggs
2 1/2 c water
2/3 c oil

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%