Help! Gourmet Flavors????

Decorating By tcakes65 Updated 9 Dec 2023 , 8:26pm by MacsMom

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 5 May 2011 , 12:40am
post #5671 of 6536

Hi friends! I have a quick question. I'm having some problems with cupcakes not rising very much, I fill them more than 2/3 full and they still don't even rise to the top of the liners! I don't know what could be causing this? I added a little bit extra oil to the recipe, could that be the problem? But then I made cosmopolitan cupcakes and completely forgot the oil! (still tastes awesome tho!) and they didn't rise either icon_sad.gif any ideas?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 May 2011 , 12:57am
post #5672 of 6536

Stephy42088,
I find different recipes rise better than others. For example the Rebecca Sotherby white chocolate WASC doesn't rise at all. The thicker batters also don't rise as much for me. Yet the Guiness chocolate cake rises great. I think sometimes it's just the ingredients.

Since you specifically asked about cupcakes what temp are you baking at? I bake cakes at 325 but cupcakes at 350 so they dome a bit more.

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 5 May 2011 , 12:59am
post #5673 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana2466

kearniesue: would you be so kind as to give me that crusting cream cheese frosting recipe? I have been lookign for one forever! Thanks.

Ana2466,

I just used 1/2 wilton recipe BC and 1/2 macsmoms white truffle filling, blended them together, and it was magic!

Karen

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 5 May 2011 , 1:07am
post #5674 of 6536

I bake at 325 so maybe thats it? But I just made some peanut butter ones and they rose beautifully....so I have no clue lol I always thought that baking at 325 for cupcakes is better because since they're smaller they have more of a risk of drying out? Is there any truth to that?

sillywabbitz Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:02am
post #5675 of 6536

There is a risk of them drying out if you over bake them but as long as you get your timing right htey should be fine. There are several threads here on CC where people try to get their cupcakes to dome by pre-heating their oven to 400 degrees, then when they put in the cupcakes turn it down to 350 and people swear by it so I am not sure drying out would be an issue. I don't do that because with all the frosting on my cupcakes no one would know if they domed or noticon_smile.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:25am
post #5676 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy42088

I bake at 325 so maybe thats it? But I just made some peanut butter ones and they rose beautifully....so I have no clue lol I always thought that baking at 325 for cupcakes is better because since they're smaller they have more of a risk of drying out? Is there any truth to that?

Baking at 325 is to keep cakes from doming too much, so I agree with putting them into a 400 oven and immediately turning down to 350. They would take a few less minuites to bake, so keep an eye on them!

And yes, I love how cakes turn out that baked with diet soda, beer, or champagne - lighter in texture and perfectly risen. (I use Rebecca Sutterby's WASC for all of my flavors - egg whites should rise better than whole eggs, but adding the creamer sorta cancels that out because of the added fat).

sillywabbitz Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:05am
post #5677 of 6536

I was wondering if there is a diet soda that would work with the plain wasc? I was thinking maybe a cream soda would be a subtle enough flavor. Any thoughts?

MacsMom Posted 5 May 2011 , 3:20pm
post #5678 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

I was wondering if there is a diet soda that would work with the plain wasc? I was thinking maybe a cream soda would be a subtle enough flavor. Any thoughts?

Diet 7-up for most, and it's easier to find. Diet cream would be good in a caramel or butterscotch cake. But plain old soda water, for some reason, does not work like diet soda!

sillywabbitz Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:04pm
post #5679 of 6536

Does the 7-up not give the white cake too much citrus flavor? I drove all over this morning looking for diet cream sodaicon_smile.gif I found it and I'll be experimenting this afternoon. I'm going to use it in WASC with no almond. I'm using a dulce de leche filling so it shouldn't clash even if it isn't a permanent change to my WASCicon_smile.gif thanks so much!

MacsMom Posted 5 May 2011 , 5:03pm
post #5680 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Does the 7-up not give the white cake too much citrus flavor? I drove all over this morning looking for diet cream sodaicon_smile.gif I found it and I'll be experimenting this afternoon. I'm going to use it in WASC with no almond. I'm using a dulce de leche filling so it shouldn't clash even if it isn't a permanent change to my WASCicon_smile.gif thanks so much!

It's hardly noticeable. If anything, I prefer the flavor. Everytime I use Princess emulsion in white cakes (lemon, almond, vanilla) I get huge compliments on flavor, so I would think 7-Up is a plus.

superfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superfly Posted 5 May 2011 , 11:30pm
post #5681 of 6536

Has anyone made a stout or guiness cake before? I'm wondering if it makes any difference at all if the stout is flat or not?

MacsMom Posted 6 May 2011 , 1:31am
post #5682 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly

Has anyone made a stout or guiness cake before? I'm wondering if it makes any difference at all if the stout is flat or not?

Yes! Choc cake with Guiness as is (not flat). It's wonderful with Baileys Irish Cream filling

JessicakesBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicakesBakes Posted 6 May 2011 , 2:10am
post #5683 of 6536

Why diet sodas instead of regular soda?

bemecheli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bemecheli Posted 6 May 2011 , 2:50am
post #5684 of 6536

wow ive learned so much. thanks to everyone who posted.

MacsMom Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:04am
post #5685 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicakesBakes

Too much sugar causes a cake to fall, and it also leaves a sticky, harder crust. (Even regular pudding vs sugar-free does this).

JessicakesBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicakesBakes Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:25am
post #5686 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicakesBakes

Too much sugar causes a cake to fall, and it also leaves a sticky, harder crust. (Even regular pudding vs sugar-free does this).

Ohhhh.... That makes sense... Thank you!

sillywabbitz Posted 6 May 2011 , 4:30am
post #5687 of 6536

Just wanted to let you know the diet cream soda worked great. It didn't alter the flavor of the white or chocolate WASC and I really like the lighter texture! I'll try diet 7-up next since it's easier to find. thanks for your help as always!

leeyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leeyn Posted 6 May 2011 , 8:14am
post #5688 of 6536

Dark chocolate cake with a raspberry buttercream or white chocolate buttercream with fresh raspberriesFrench vanilla cake filled with raspberry jam and lemon curd ...

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 7 May 2011 , 2:34am
post #5689 of 6536

Can I just say how much I love this post? LOVE this post. SUPER LOVE this post. I have tried a few of the recipes and they're so great. The chocolate WASC cake rocked my world. Honestly, I don't know that I'll make any other kind of chocolate cake going forward. It was that good.

Thanks so much to MacsMom for her divine recipes. I printed them off and lay in bed at night reading them. Yes, that's a HUGE sign I need to find a 12-step cake intervention.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 7 May 2011 , 3:12am
post #5690 of 6536

Quick question. I've seen something here called Frostin Pride, and Bettercreme. What are these?

sgalvan62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgalvan62 Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:19am
post #5691 of 6536

is there a receipe for a cookies and cream cake?

jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:50pm
post #5692 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgalvan62

I icon_cool.gif
I don't know if there is, but I just made a chocolate cake and used an Oreo filling (from this site by alittlesliceofhaven) and it was a huge hit! The cookies even stayed crunchy icon_smile.gif You should give it a try, you won't be disappointed!

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:53pm
post #5693 of 6536
Quote:

There is one on the google doc for cookies and cream cupcakes that you can use for a cake.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 May 2011 , 11:20pm
post #5694 of 6536
Quote:

Check the info in my signature, it has links to all the threads with all the recipes.

LoveConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveConfections Posted 10 May 2011 , 4:09pm
post #5695 of 6536

With the WASC cake recipes can i just not use the box cake and make the cakes out of the remaining ingredients? if that makes sense!!

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 10 May 2011 , 4:24pm
post #5696 of 6536

I love this thread, but I admit, I didn't read all 380 pages.

I recently made a wedding cake for my brother that had a chocolate whiskey spice (chili) cake and a regular spice cake with cream cheese filling for the tiers. My sister loved it so much that she asked for the spice cake for her birthday.

So, since she usually gets a NY cheesecake from me on her birthday, I made her my spice cake and layered it with my NY cheesecake, with the graham cracker crust and covered it with my cream cheese buttercream.

She said it was going to be served on a first class flight to hell because it was so deliciously evil. I think that was a complement!

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:45pm
post #5697 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-Ding

I love this thread, but I admit, I didn't read all 380 pages.

I recently made a wedding cake for my brother that had a chocolate whiskey spice (chili) cake and a regular spice cake with cream cheese filling for the tiers. My sister loved it so much that she asked for the spice cake for her birthday.

So, since she usually gets a NY cheesecake from me on her birthday, I made her my spice cake and layered it with my NY cheesecake, with the graham cracker crust and covered it with my cream cheese buttercream.

She said it was going to be served on a first class flight to hell because it was so deliciously evil. I think that was a complement!

Hey, you can't (shouldn't be able to) brag about such a hit without sharing your secrets!

sgalvan62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgalvan62 Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:52pm
post #5698 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewordsoflife

Quote:

I icon_cool.gif
I don't know if there is, but I just made a chocolate cake and used an Oreo filling (from this site by alittlesliceofhaven) and it was a huge hit! The cookies even stayed crunchy icon_smile.gif You should give it a try, you won't be disappointed!

Thanks i think i'm trying both ideas, this one and fruitsnack's idea Thanks a bunch! icon_biggrin.gif

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:02am
post #5699 of 6536

Hi everyone!!

So here's my question..about to make the Irish car bomb cake which is one I've never made before. Anyone who has made it have any advice or suggestions?

For the filling, I am doing the white choc truffle as suggested and I really needed to know approximately how much baileys to add to it to make the Irish cream filling. I am hoping this will be stable enough to carve because I need to carve a foot!

Any advice would be appreciated

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:06am
post #5700 of 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

Hi everyone!!

So here's my question..about to make the Irish car bomb cake which is one I've never made before. Anyone who has made it have any advice or suggestions?

For the filling, I am doing the white choc truffle as suggested and I really needed to know approximately how much baileys to add to it to make the Irish cream filling. I am hoping this will be stable enough to carve because I need to carve a foot!

Any advice would be appreciated

icon_eek.gif Irish car bomb cake??? What on earth is that??? icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%