Strange Wedding Order

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 11:40pm by summernoelle

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 35

Not sure what to think!

Last week I got a call from MOB (who lives in AZ-I am in TX) saying they needed a 4 tier cake for Jan 31st, and an armadillo groom's cake for a wedding here in TX. When I saw what it would add up to (about $1000) I said no problem! I will fit you in! So, I send over the invoice and contract, and it doesn't get paid.

Then later in the week, I get a call from her saying "Hi! I'm looking for someone to make a wedding cake". I think this is strange, and I call her back. Completely confuses the crap out of her, says she hadn't called me. OK.....I go through the VM, and yes, she had, asking for prices on the wedding cake she already ordered. I figure she was still shopping around, so I email her and say you did leave a message about pricing. Did you need additional help?

Late that night, I get two emails. One about the invoice, asking if I can send it to another email address (this is Paypal, so it is email address specific when dealing with invoices). The another right after that responding to my email about the additional help, to which she says "Oh, no, I'm sorry. I already found a place."

Hmmmm. So I respond "Do you want me to send you the invoice to a different address, or are you canceling the order?" No response. So, I don't send the invoice. I also don't get the contract back in the mail, which I had made clear was something that I needed immediately. I think all this is on Tuesday last week.

Today, Sunday, 5 days after this, I get another email from her saying "I am so sorry no I do not want to cancel my order. I want the invoice the same way the four layers with the flavors the same and the grooms cake the same. I just would like a invoice sent to xxx"

What do you guys think? It seems weird, and annoying. I guess she was calling so many people that she had no idea who she was calling, or keeping track of who she finally hired. It is fishy? Would you back out?

I don't think it is one of those annoying email scams, because there was no western Union, or wiring money, or refrigerated trucks involved.

TIA!!!

34 replies
cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 35

It sounds like to me she is confused. It seems she contacted so many that she got over whelmed. Trust me......it can happen ( i've done it recently lol )

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 35

I would reiterate to her that until payment and contract are received she hasn't placed the order and it will not be filled. Go ahead and send the invoice to the email she requested. If you get $$$ and a signed contract then it's all good and she just got confused on who she was using.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 35

Just me but it seems something isn't right here - I would disregard any further communication and try to forgot about it despite the size of the order. Seems like even if it were legit this would end up being more trouble than it is worth......

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 35

I think she was just shopping aroung, if you get the money, go right ahead!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 35

Doesn't sound like a scam to me. I would send the invoice to the address she asked and wait until you get $$$ in hand before proceeding. If anything needs to be made ahead, hopefully it is something that can be sued in the future on other orders so you aren't stuck. Most of the time flowers or such can be done ahead w/that in mind.

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 35

I would send it to the other email, and see if she pays. If so, good, if not, one less thing to cram in.

My guess is confusion on her part, especially since she is doing this from out of state. She obviously knows the price and is fine with it. You might go over your contract terms on a seperate email. That way she will read them on their own. She may be so overwhelmed that she hasn't fully read anything.

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:47pm
post #8 of 35

Remember to give her a timeline for payment. The event is only three weeks away (my deadline for full payment for weddings). You don't want to receive a payment the week of the wedding and then find that it conflicts with orders that have come in since your communication with her.

I would definitely make her understand that payment in full is due NOW. She can scan and email the signed contract to you.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 35

This is weird and yes it does sound fishy to me. See what happens with the paypal payment and be sure all monies clear before you do anything. Did you request full payment upfront? I definitely would, it's already the 11th and the wedding is just 20 days away.

Let us know what happens, I'm curious about this one.

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 35

I'd also ask her if there was anybody in your local area that you could meet with to confirm the order. I can't imagine an order that large and the full bridal party and all guests coming from out of town.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:01pm
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbymindysue

I'd also ask her if there was anybody in your local area that you could meet with to confirm the order. I can't imagine an order that large and the full bridal party and all guests coming from out of town.

"ummmmmm," she said slowly, raising her hand from the back of the room. "Been there ... done that."

The bride was in the military in Japan. Sis in Wisconsin and Mom in Chicago. We did the whole thing via email. I saw the mom about 2-3 weeks before the wedding, when she drove to Indy to pay all the vendors. That was the only family member I saw until the day of the wedding.

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:13pm
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbymindysue

"ummmmmm," she said slowly, raising her hand from the back of the room. "Been there ... done that."

The bride was in the military in Japan. Sis in Wisconsin and Mom in Chicago. We did the whole thing via email. I saw the mom about 2-3 weeks before the wedding, when she drove to Indy to pay all the vendors. That was the only family member I saw until the day of the wedding.

I understand that, my husband is in the military so we've known a few people that have planned weddings long distance. But I can't imagine there isn't [i]somebody[i] there that could even just confirm that this is a legit wedding. Someone from the groom's family, a member of the bridal party, an invited guest? Or get the name of the venue they are using and confrim with them that she has booked the date and type of event. Someone there, be it family or friends, or the venue will know something if it's legit.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:21pm
post #13 of 35

I'd send an email invoice to the second email she gave you and give her a firm date for the deposit. If you don't get it, cut your losses there and send her another email (to both email addresses) and say you're cancelling because she failed to meet your deadline. If she's this much trouble in the beginning, she may end up being worse toward the wedding date.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:22pm
post #14 of 35

Contacting the venue is a great idea. I usually do this anyways to be sure everything will be ready for the cake delivery. I'd definitely ask for the name and number of the venue and contact them in the morning.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:46pm
post #15 of 35

that definitely sounds totally bizarre icon_confused.gif I can understand getting bakeries mixed up, but she couldn't see she was responding to the same email address with various instructions?

Summer, were you the one that did a cake for a girl and she used her mom's CC to pay for the order over paypal? The mom asked paypal to take the money back and they did? somebody on here had that happen, that would be the only thing that would scare me, you could get your payment in full, make the cake and then have the lady dispute the charges and you'll have to fight for your money. I'd maybe be more inclined to tell the lady to over night a check or bank check to you, that way she can't dispute it and possibly get her money back later.

indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:52pm
post #16 of 35

and if she does mail the payment, be sure it's mailed with a tracking number, so you don't have to deal with that "I mailed it and it's not my fault that it got lost in the mail" crap. My Terms require that money orders MUST be mailed with a tracking number. You can't put a stop payment on those, and a bride can claim "but I mailed it! I'm NOT sending you another payment!" With a tracking number, you can at least prove whether it was really mailed or not.

summernoelle Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 11:55pm
post #17 of 35

Stephanie-Yes!!!! That was me!!!! (Don't EVEN get me started on that one. STILL haven't gotten the f****** money for the cake I did on Halloween.)

Most of me-say 90%-thinks it was a mistake and this woman is overwhelmed, procrastinating, etc, and nothing bad intended. The other part of me is wondering what is up, because the order is so large. Also, I am afraid of getting burned by Paypal again, like with the other chick.

I have thought about calling the venue-I think I will go ahead and do that to make sure. And then, maybe ask for a check that I can go cash?

Thanks everyone for the advice! It is a weird problem....

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 12:12am
post #18 of 35

It kind of sounds like she's been hitting the booze and getting herself confused.

summernoelle Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:40am
post #19 of 35

GAH!! So, I talked to her, she said she will overnight the check, blah blah blah. Now, she just wrote me, telling me that the cake had to be gluten free because her daughter (the Bride) has Celiac's disease. Why didn't she bring this up in the first place? The charge would have been different for a gluten free cake, and I would not have accepted the order. I don't know if she is just absent minded, or what, but this is frustrating.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:43am
post #20 of 35

that should have been her first question, lalmost ike a peanut allergy! Maybe you can just make the top tier gluten free and don't forget to add in the PITA fee icon_biggrin.gif

summernoelle Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:48am
post #21 of 35

No Way Jose, Stephanie! I was willing to work with her before, but not now. That is way too risky for me-can you imagine if her daughter had gotten sick, and then she sued me or something because the cake wasn't gluten free, even though she didn't ask for it? NOT worth it to risk working with someone flaky like this.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:55am
post #22 of 35

I agree summernoelle...drop her like a hot potato...let her be someone elses problem!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:09am
post #23 of 35

I wouldn't take it either. Too weird.

indydebi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:13am
post #24 of 35

I agree .. it's a problem coming down the road in a big Mack truck with bad brakes. All the confusing emails, then the check is coming via overnight mail, THEN she mentions the dietary restriction? icon_confused.gif

I'm suspecting that she's had a problem finding a gluten free baker so she's tried to rope you into the deal before springing this on you ... thinking once she's sent the check that it's a dun-deal.

summernoelle Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:20am
post #25 of 35

Indydebi-Exactly what I was thinking. I think she was trying to sneak in the gluten stuff at a lower price, once she had called other bakeries and found out how much more they were charging. Once she signed the contract, what could I do?

Too bad, this was going to be my biggest order so far. icon_sad.gif

Thanks so much for the advice and support!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:24am
post #26 of 35

I would go back to here and tell her the quote was not for gluten free. I wouldn't even know how to begin to bake that way and would charge way more! She is pulling a bait and switch on you and I wouldn't take it. I would either send the check back and cancel the order or tell her that it needs to be a quoted. Maybe you could make a small gluten free side cake for her.

Stephanie

indydebi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:55am
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Once she signed the contract, what could I do?

You tell her that the contract she signed was for a gluten cake and if she wants to hold you to the contract, then she's getting a cake with gluten in it. Contracts work both ways. icon_twisted.gif

Now if she wants to CANCEL this one and discuss a NEW contract ...... ! icon_rolleyes.gif

summernoelle Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:27pm
post #28 of 35

I need more help! I don't know what this lady is smoking. Last night, I told her that no, I will not do this order. Good luck to you. So, she changes her tune, and she just sends me this:

I asked you to call me because we are obviously getting confused through email. The order that I originally placed with you is what I want. I have never changed it. I have ordered my daughter a gluten free cake from and gluten free restaurant and per your contract it states that no other cake can be served. I was just trying to let you know and make sure there wouldn't be an issue. Fed ex is picking up my package for you to be delivered tomorrow, should I still send it? Do you still want to make it? Please call me or email back ASAP.

And then a minute later, this: Fed ex picked up the check and contract today. It will be delivered tomorrow. The tracking number is xxxxxx. Please email me or call me to let me know this is ok or if you will just be sending my check back?

This is NOT what she said yesterday. She asked me to make her daughter a gluten free cake, and I am just thinking, what is up with this chick? She is impossible to get a hold of on the phone. (And when I do, she has no idea what is going on). What you would guys do?

indydebi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:45pm
post #29 of 35

If you are ok with having the other cake there, what I would do (and I HAVE done this with some of my brides), is add a line to the contract of "I understand, due to dietary requirements, that a gluten free cake is being provided by another baker. Cater It Simple is aware of this and waives clause 2C for the Smith-Jones wedding of 1-1-10".

I would also keep that email you just got in your file ... it specifically states you are NOT making the gluten free cake and she is not expecting one of you.

summernoelle Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:57pm
post #30 of 35

Thanks Debi. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%