Best Icing For Sugar Cookies?

Baking By sillychef Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 6:52pm by sillychef

sillychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychef Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 8

Good afternoon all- I had a question- what is the best icing for sugar cookies? I don't want it soft, but I also don't like it when it is hard either... I could have sworn I saw a "dipping buttercream" recipe here once upon a time- am I crazy? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks a bunch! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 8

Antonia 74 is the icing that I have switched to now. It dries hard to stack but also tastes nice and is softer than the royal.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 8

You have a few options.

Some people use fondant, or rolled buttercream. Others use the royal icing recipe by Antonia 74. Others, like myself use Toba's Glace. Search here for recipes and try them out, because as for "best" you'll find as many answers as there are cookie makers.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 12:14am
post #4 of 8

I would suggest, since you don't want it too hard, to try out rolled butter cream. it tastes so good and looks great!!! Its easy to use for cookies (not so much on cakes). The only other thing I've used is royal icing. But I've never tried Toba's Glaze that vstar_pilot mentioned. I may have to try that myself. What exactly is it tho?? lol

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:22am
post #5 of 8

mysugarwish.... a glace is a very simple icing. Powdered sugar, milk and flavoring really. It doesn't hold a shape as well as royal icing, like for piping stars, but it flows well. I personally like the flavor more than royal.

It dries hard enough to stack, but it nice and soft when you bite into it.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:33am
post #6 of 8

I use Antonia's and flavor it with some vanilla....yummy! Word to the wise though....let each color completely set before you add another or it will bleed......

Good Luck!

bailey4302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bailey4302 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:31am
post #7 of 8

I swear by rolled buttercream. I use it on practically all my cookies.

sillychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychef Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much all!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%