Using Flower Nail Heads To Help Bake Cake

Decorating By hammer1 Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 4:16am by smbegg

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 11

i have a friend who needs to bake 12 inch cakes, she does not have the cake plug to put in the middle. i have heard of putting in the metal flower nailheads. she has several of these. does anyone do this, how many should i tell her to put in and do you drease them etc. thanks, hammer1

10 replies
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 11

I use flower nails all the time. I put one in a 12" pan or two in a larger pan. If you are using a 16" or larger, you can put three. I grease the nail the same way I do the pan - crisco, nonstick spray, whatever I am using. I almost always put parchment paper in my pans, so I stick the nail through the paper when I am putting it down. It leaves a tiny hole in the cake and no one ever knows.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 11

I have baked many, many 12" cakes w/o using anything. They will bake up just fine if the temp is lowered to no more than 325 degrees F. It will take a few minutes longer, but will be a much better cake - moist & tendericon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

I use flower nails all the time. I put one in a 12" pan or two in a larger pan. If you are using a 16" or larger, you can put three. I grease the nail the same way I do the pan - crisco, nonstick spray, whatever I am using. I almost always put parchment paper in my pans, so I stick the nail through the paper when I am putting it down. It leaves a tiny hole in the cake and no one ever knows.

Me too, only I do not use parchment paper. I just use nonstick cooking spray.

sisspence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisspence Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 11

I use a large nail and I wouldnt bake a cake without it. I thought I had lost it last week, thought I was going to have a heart attack. I looked for it for an hour and it was right where I left it. in the dish rack next to the sink.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 11

Here's a photo tutorial on how to do the flower nail method:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-612603.html

HTH!

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 11

thanks for the tutorial ...i was a little busy in December and didn't catch that post on Dec. 15th. hate repeating stuff, but wow there is so much stuff that is helpful on this site...noone could actually read everything, we'll not unless you spent every waking hour here. happy baking.
hammer1

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:26am
post #8 of 11

I use both the nail and the bake even strips. I would probably use two nails in a 12" cake. I find that works for me.

CourtneysSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysSweets Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:48am
post #9 of 11

can't wait to try this!

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:08am
post #10 of 11

I'm just a hobbyist here . . . haven't made very many cakes. This technique sounds very interesting. Can anyone tell me, at what size cake do you use the flower nail(s)?

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:16am
post #11 of 11

I use the nail for anything larger than a 9 inch. It doesn't hurt anything to use it. I just make sure to grease the nail really well.

Stephanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%