Handling Large Pieces Of Fondant (Long)

Decorating By tguegirl Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 6:31pm by tguegirl

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 6:55am
post #1 of 17

I just finished up a new cake tonight and was having the biggest problems with large pieces of fondant. I made a labor-intensive diaper bag cake, but I must say that the part I dreaded the most (and did the most poorly at!) was rolling big pieces of fondant- say around 2 feet by 2 feet square pieces.

It took so much strength to roll out a huge piece of fondant. Once I got it all rolled, inevitably a small piece would stick to my surface and I wouldn't be able to get it up without ripping. I used marshmallow fondant and tried both Crisco and cornstarch to prevent sticking, to no avail.

The pieces were too big to roll up onto my rolling pin, and when I tried to do it anyways, stuck together on the rolling pin and ripped once I tried to spread it out.

Help please! I don't know how the bakers on all the shows effortlessly roll out such huge pieces of fondant to cover cakes! Thanks for any tips!

16 replies
firehorse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firehorse Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 7:11am
post #2 of 17

Oh I'm so sorry I can't help you, but I'm dying to know the answer to this. I haven't covered anything larger than a 10" round for just this reason. Good luck to you!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 7:18am
post #3 of 17

Use a ton of powdered sugar and lift up sections of the fondant and push more powdered sugar under as you are doing so. Roll half up onto your pin and then move quick (and pray!) and lay the other half over the cake, then unroll. HTH

say_it_with_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
say_it_with_cake Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 7:26am
post #4 of 17

I had similar problems when I made a slab cake, which was 2 1/2 feet long!

After several failed attempts I ended up dumping HEAPS of powdered sugar on the counter - almost completely covering it! Then I rolled, turning and checking for sticky spots as I went. (Sorry, muscle work is unavoidable here lol. To make it a little easier on yourself, shape the fondant into a large flat disc before you roll.)

Then I dusted the piece liberally on top with more ps to prevent it sticking to itself. (The huge amount of ps didn't matter too much in my case because the fondant was white anyway.)

My rolling pin wasn't wide enough to lift it either so I ended up using a long roll of giftwrap - worked like a charm thumbs_up.gif

HTH icon_smile.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:19am
post #5 of 17

Roll out on a piece of vinyl and then flip the whole thing, vinyl and all, over the cake. Peel the vinyl off carefully.

Voilà!

(NOT walla........ icon_wink.gif )

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:35am
post #6 of 17

Great idea icon_surprised.gif the vinyl one. Thanks

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:39am
post #7 of 17

I've been using that technique for about 100 years! It sure beats all the powdered sugar (or shortening) mess on the countertop, not to mention pwd sugar all over the fondant (especially dark colors!).

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:46am
post #8 of 17

chutzpah, is this just regular vinyl table cloth? and the fondant doesn't stick to it? TIA

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:04am
post #9 of 17

Chutzpah is right. I do this. But I find that the bottom of my piece isn't as smooth as the top that I was rolling, so I flip mine onto a second piece of vinyl first. Make sure that it is a smooth vinyl, not like a table cloth texture, but like a rolling mat smooth, or you could end up with a texture on your fondant. HTH

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 12:30pm
post #10 of 17

also swears by the vinyl method -- I've done up to almost 3 feet across with only my klutzyness being the problem

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 12:53pm
post #11 of 17

Yes, vinyl helped me cover a 4ft long surfboard in a massive piece of fondant.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 12:57pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

chutzpah, is this just regular vinyl table cloth? and the fondant doesn't stick to it? TIA

it's the clear vinyl you buy to put OVER a real table cloth.

comes in different weights (thicknesses) -- go for medium

get a big ol piece of it (sold by the foot--about 4 feet wide) and then cut several different size mats out of it.

----

i crisco mine lightly, then roll --

sticks just enough to flip it over onto the cake. Then peels off very easily.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:52pm
post #13 of 17

I think it's the fondant itself that gives some people problems. I use my semi-homemade chocolate fondant and literally pick it up off the table with my arms and place on HUGE cakes. I do 18" layers with no problems. I feel the chocolate adds not only a wonderful taste, but strength to the fondant. You might blame how you handle it, it could be "it" icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:54pm
post #14 of 17

How do you clean the vinyl after using it? I have a large piece I have purchased to fit onto my island...right height for me to roll fondant and cookies without bending so far over. I have not used it yet cause I am not sure how to clean it...just wipe down with soapy water and then dry with a kitchen towel? I know, sometimes I can't see the forest thru the trees icon_confused.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:25pm
post #15 of 17

.......How do you clean the vinyl after using it?...........

Actually you don't need toicon_smile.gif It seldom needs more than a wiping w/a paper towel.
*Never!* fold up your vinyl. Always roll it up and store in a big tube (wrapping paper tube, empty).
It does sound like the OP's problem might be the fondant itself as JenniferMI suggested. I seldom have had any sticking problems using the yinyl. A combination of helps?

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:49pm
post #16 of 17

I've been using the shiny side of freezer paper. Just rub with a small amount of crisco, and go. Got the tip from someone here on CC.

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:31pm
post #17 of 17

Thank you so much for your responses! I will definitely try the vinyl. Probably a stupid question- but vinyl is food safe to use w/ the fondant? As for the fondant, I use mmf. I will probably add more powdered sugar next time and less crisco/water so it rips less.

Sorry for the late response- I've been having problems w/ getting onto CC and not getting emails about replies to my posts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%