Camo Covered Cake

Decorating By kelly24 Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 2:19am by cakelady31

kelly24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly24 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:56am
post #1 of 6

Hi all, I'm going to attempt a camouflage covered cake and am unsure on how to start??? I think I am going to use 2 different tones of green in fondant...so should I cut each individual shape then roll together to make one big peice of icing to fit my cake or should I just marble them together.....your help would be great. Kelly

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:06am
post #2 of 6

either works, with different effects.

cut and roll > very pronounced pattern

marble -- more subtle to point it might not look like right.

---

could even do a combine approach ---

marble and roll thick then lay on random pieces and roll until thin enough to cover cake

----

saw one cake on here (can't find it now tho') where the person used an oak leaf shaped cookie cutter to get the various pieces. then laid then one top of each other randomly. then rolled into one solid sheet. very effective.

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:10am
post #3 of 6

I have only done a camo covered cake in buttercream. It wasn't hard. I just made up 3 different colors: moss green, brown and black. I just added each color in random placement then used a foam roller to set the colors.
LL

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:17am
post #4 of 6

i did the same thing as dmheart! icon_biggrin.gif it was actually really easy and a lot of fun. I believe i have it in my photos and it has a deer on top of it.

doug has some great ideas on how to do it with fondant as well icon_wink.gif

Annalie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalie Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:19am
post #5 of 6

I have done a camo paintball T-shirt cake. I've used brown-green mix to get a "kaki " colour and then used different shades of green and brown to paint on. In my photos...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1214547.html

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:19am
post #6 of 6

Hi
I have done a camo cake. It's in my photos. It was a grooms cake for my son in law. he said he wanted a G I Joe cake for a wedding cake so i suprised him with the small grooms cake.
All I did was place patches of army colors together and rolled out. i think I used 4 colors, moss green , green, black and khaki. I added more pieces until it was large enough to cover the cakes. It seemed to have worked.

Hope that helps!
carol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%