Topsy Turvy Frosting

Decorating By tokenpiggy Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm by antonia74

tokenpiggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokenpiggy Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:36am
post #1 of 10

my granddaughter wants me to make her a pasiley topsy turvy cake and I have no idea about what she is talking about. So I need to know what kind of frosting is used to make this cake Thanks

9 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 10

you use the same frosting as you would on any other cake. Most people use fondant too as it makes it easier to handle the cakes, but it's not necessary.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:53am
post #3 of 10

Tokenpiggy, a Topsy Turvy cake (also called a Mad Hatter or Whimsy cake) is a cake that appears to be falling over because of the sharp angles of the cake tiers. It's just an optical illusion that is created by stacking the cake specifically. There's a great how-to lesson on CC showing you how.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article1-Instructions-For-Building-A-Whimsical-Tilted-Cake.html

You can use buttercream or fondant to ice the cake, whichever you'd prefer.

It is usually decorated pretty loudly & colourfully. I guess your granddaughter wants you to add a paisley design to hers, which would be cute!

Here is one I've done, just to show you the angled tiers. (It's not hard!) I also found this diagram online that shows you the technique to stacking the tiers that way....
LL
LL

tokenpiggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokenpiggy Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you all for the replys I really appreciate it. You were all most helpful Thanks again

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 10

Antonia74: Your skectch makes it look so simple. If I am looink at it correctly, did you stack the tiers as normal and then place an angled piece at one side to give it the topsy turvy look? If so, this is the most simplist skectch I seen yet.

I think I could even do one of these.

Thanks for the skectch

antonia74 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 10

Not my sketch, I found it online....but yes, it's exactly right.

You simply make 3 layer cakes, carving the sides down narrower and their tops on a bit of a slanted angle. Then you stack them normally with one tier slanting left, the next tier slanting right, the top tier slanting left.

For a bit of extra support, you can even sharpen a wooden dowel and drive it right down the middle of the cake into the drum board at the base. That's great when you have to transport it. thumbs_up.gif

It's really MUCH easier than it looks!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 10

Have you done a topsy turvey where the sections are wider at the top than the bottom? If so, wouldn't the fondant not lay smoothly when tapering down to a more narrow base? Wouldn't it pucker?

I want to try one but in my mind, I can't see how it would stay smooth when narrowing down from top to bottom...

Becscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becscakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 10

It can be fun if you use fondant, it took me 2 go's at covering my first Topsy Turvy cake but everyone loved it.
Here's a pic
LL

cakecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecakelady Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 10

Antonia74,
Which sizes of cake pans did you use to achieve you 1 049.jpg cake? I just tried practicing something like this. My intent is to do a cake next week using buttercream and NOT a fondant overlay to ice three tiers, 6-7-8 8-9-10 10-11-12. As practice, I iced the 6-7-8, having carved the sides in a bit first and top and then placed a 4" round out top and carved out a hole and dowel to see how well the sides held up. When I put the 4" pan in and pushed down a bit to represent the weight of the cake, the sides cracked. ( I used the 4" because I did not want to waste a bunch of cake and icing on practice and was 4" less in diameter than the 8" layer on top which would represent the 4" difference between my top and middle tier next week.)
Do I need to use different sized cakes?
Different cake recipe?
Not carve the sides in at all?
I have not baked the cakes yet, so if you offer a suggestion of what sizes to bake, I will go with that.
What advice can you offer?
Thanks!

antonia74 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 10

I used 5"/8"/11" cake tiers for that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%