Stumped.... (Long)

Decorating By Juds2323 Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 1:53am by Juds2323

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 4

I know this is way early but since I work full time and have kiddos - very limited time to do anything. My Mom turns 70 this year - she lives in IL I live in CA. Anywho she is determined to celebrate her birthday on her birthday this year which is - THANKSGIVING. I suggested doing it before - she said "I'm not going to say I'm 70 before I'm 70". I suggested after the holidays since they are so crazy - "I want to celebrate ON my birthday". So Thanksgiving it is. I am making the cake - already told her I have dibs.

My mom has NO hobbies other than her grandchildren - which number 17 (7 locally)! (She had 5 kids - all of which are married) She works and helps out my siblings that live locally. I'm totally stumped. I thought about doing figures on the cake. There will probably be about 50-70 people depending on some extended family. So not a ton of cake to work with.

I though also about doing 5 satellite heart cakes and have each family (kid, spouse, grandkids) on each cake and surround a cake with her on it. Kind of a surrounded with love idea. If I did that I'd need to start now to get them all done in time....LOL That 28 figures! icon_eek.gif

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Judi

3 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Judi, I do like your idea. But you don't have to make all 28 figures. Just to show your idea, make a few. Like few kids around, in the sitting room, playing with them..... something like that. And you can make another adult figure, standing, and holding a cake with 70 on it. Hope this would help[ and someone can give a better idea! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 4

hey judi.. How about a quilt cake. if you are avalible to get edible photo
images make a grandma quilt.. one square of each family. or grandkids.etc. then make a square with a quilt design.and alternate the squares. everyone likes to see there family on the cake. I did a cake like this for my grandmother. all the family loved it ..sorry I don't have a picture to show. I thought about taking a picture got caught up in the moment and forgot..hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif good luck

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:53am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your ideas. I also forgot to mention - no fondant except accents (or things that won't be eaten like figures). *sigh* She has to be difficult...LOL

Judi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%