Bombarded With Scams Today!! Cake Decorator Beware!

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 7:32am by Chef_Stef

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 14

They are re-wording! No more happy married life. Beware!

First one today:

Hello ,

I am Smith Bowen and i have a spouse Linda Bowen ( My wife to be )We are from Dallas,TX . I have tasted your cake before and it really nice ,I don't know ,if you will be available to bake my wedding cake .I need a nice strawberry cake, covered in fondant that can feed 300 people for my upcoming wedding ceremony in Toronto.

The wedding will come up on the 25st of JANUARY ,2009. I will want to be assure of your professionalism in handling this job to its best cos this is the important part of the party as you know.

However, I will want to know the cost price for the above describe cake and other necessary things if any,( I will make advance paymant ).
My wedding planner will sending an agent with refrigerated truck to pick the cake up at your location.. So you don't to bother about the shippment of the cake,Hope to hear from you soonest.

Note : My Mode Of Payment Is Credit Card.

Regard

Second one on the SAME day

Hello ,
I will like to make a 3 Tier cake which would serve 80 as a desert or 150 as a taster, for my Daughter upcoming wedding party.. this 3 Tier cake must be in Rich Chocolate Cake with Chocolate buttercream filling,covered in belgian chocolate curls.. the wedding will come up on the 25st of JANUARY 2009 I will want to be assure of your professionalism in handling this job to its best cos this is the important part of the party as you know...
However, i will want to know the cost price for the above describe cake and other necessary things if any...My wedding planner will come over to pick up the cake at your location.. So
you don't to bother about the shippment of the cake,
Hope to hear from you soonest..

Regard,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am not available for the 25st anyway...

13 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 14

Isn't it amazing that a couple from Texas will contact a baker in NC for a wedding in Toronto? icon_confused.gif

On the good side of things, though, I've won 5 international lotteries this week alone! All I have to do is send them a copy of my drivers license AND a copy of my passport! Gosh darn, where's the nearest Kinko's!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 14

I wrote both of them back and said, "I am not available for you date. Best wishes for your future scamming."

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 14

just for the record...I AM a natural blonde.

With that said, I do not understand the scam. What do they want? What are they asking for?

Sorry for my ignorance,but,I dont understand.

Thanks in advance for turning on the light for me icon_razz.gif

Jess

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 14

They will pay a substantial amount over the cost of the wedding cake, either with a stolen credit card or bogus money order.

They will ask you to pay their "shipper" several hundred dollars cash.

Then, days, weeks, or months later when the credit card is disputed or the bank finds out the money order is bogus, you're on the hook for the whole thing. You've had a cake essentially stolen from you, plus the cash you gave the shipper.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 14

oh dayummmmmmm

who on earth thinks these things up?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

thanks for explaining that craziness.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 14

Such wretched losers...urggggggghhhhhhhhh

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:21am
post #8 of 14

I got the same one about 2 weeks ago. I always send my standard reply.

"Thank you for your interest, however I require wedding cakes to be ordered at least 3 months prior to event, and I will not do a cake for a client until I meet them in person and discuss design and payment, further I alone will deliver wedding cake, I don't allow other's to pick them up, nor do I deliver outside of a 200 mile radius for a wedding cake."

never get a reply back...LOL!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:29am
post #9 of 14

I hate these people-I get these too! One time I said something back, and they started threatening me, calling me a scammer. WhatEVER! icon_biggrin.gif

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:30am
post #10 of 14

I read on another post that you shouldn't even reply to any of these, or any phishing scams. This may give them access to other information that you don't want them to have.

Just ignore them altogether.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:31am
post #11 of 14

What really drives me crazy about these people is that they CAN'T spell!!!! It is so annoying for me to even read these anymore!!! I mean come on! And please, do not even start me on their grammar!!!!

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:39am
post #12 of 14

Well, I have started answering these scam and lottery winning emails with this important message:
Thanks for the info...I have forwarded this to the FBI for the reward!
Needless to say, I don't hear from them again!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:09am
post #13 of 14

WANKERS

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:32am
post #14 of 14

This is what the *spam* folder is for. Hit delete. End of story.

Certainly, don't respond to them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%