Home Inspection

Business By therbug Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 7:15pm by cakelady15

therbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therbug Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 5

I am going through the process of becoming a legal home baker! I am really excited but also really nervous, mostly for the inspection. I keep a very clean kitchen but I am still worried. Do you have any advice for me? Are there certain things they focus on the most? I was told to be sure to clean in little corners and crevices that are sometimes neglected. I am also worried about my counter top edges, they are decorative edges. Do you think that will be an issue?

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 5

My impression is that inspectors are more concerned with food safety issues, such as is your hot water hot enough, is your 'frig or freezer cold enough, (if your state requires them) do you have the acid-test strips for your sanitizers (sink) and separate hand washing sink (again, if required by state). Proper paper towel dispensers (i.e. above my hand washing sinks). These are the tools that help prevent germs and contamination so this is what they focus on. Most folks think they are looking for swept floors and wiped off counters, but that's not where the food danger is ... it's in hand washing and temperature control.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:43am
post #3 of 5

I had a kitchen inspection not all that long ago, in 2008, and it wasn't nearly as bad I had anticipated. I have a non-hazardous foods license, so it may be different for hazardous foods... but they were very thorough, but very helpful too. I stressed for NOTHING.

They will be looking for fire extinguishers (if the Fire inspector accompanies them) and whatever Debi said. The fire inspector checked my stove for safety, and to see if there were any walking hazards for potential customers. He was very helpful!!! I was surprised they didn't even look in my cupboards (which I scrubbed) or my drawers. I had to make sure I had a separate handwashing facility (bathroom) so not to contaminate dishes. Shatterproof light bulbs on any recessed lighting or exposed bulbs. That was about it... Unfortunately they require bleach, which I loathe, but have to use because of regulation... so you may need to have that under your sink.

I learned a lot and realized my kitchen was a lot cleaner than I thought. They looked for a sanitizing solution and if I had a place to sanitize my bake ware, etc. They want to know how you are going to be sanitizing your bakeware - dishwasher or bay sink.

Just ask questions... GOOD LUCK!!! thumbs_up.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 5

Don't work yourself up..... they will tell you and give you a chance to change something that isn't right. They mostly are looking for bugs, signs of mice, ect. But, they do have to stick to certain rules as far as surfaces being smooth and cleanable. BUT, each state is different in their rules.

Jen icon_smile.gif

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 5

I think that every state is different, but here in Ohio they were mostly looking for signs of rodents or bugs, refrigerator temperature, and overall cleanliness. They didn't go digging through my cupboards or anything like that icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%