Mendhi Cake

Decorating By ac2steachk Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 9:54pm by lalakanosho

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 15

Hi all,
I've been mulling attempting a mendhi cake for some time and I think today's the day. I have no reason to make it, other than I want to try doing some mendhi designs.
That said, with no specific reason for the cake I have no requests for flavors from the lucky people who will get another free cake. Are there any unique flavor combinations that might 'fit' a mendhi theme?
I'll probably use chocolate (ganache or other??) for the actual mendhi design, but could be open to other ideas for that also.
Please share your thoughts or requests...I'll post a picture when it's all finished.
Thanks for your ideas.
-allison

14 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 15

Hmmm...I'm thinking a citrusy theme? Mehndii is "native" to India and the Hindu culture right? Ah...googled "fruit of India"...mangoes are their "official" fruit looks like.

A mango curd filling with tart citrus BC? WASC cake or a vanilla pound cake? Hmmmm. Sounds yummy!

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 15

Indian Kulfi comes in flavors like pistachio and mango so maybe cake flavors like that or find a way to incorporate saffron or cardomam(sp)

ac2steachk Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 15

Pistachio is a favorite of mine...I think that'll be the flavor of the day. Of course I got busy with other things today and now that it's late on Saturday, I may need to wait until later in the week to find the time to bake and decorate. The decorating will take a lot of time.
thanks for the ideas. I'll keep the citrus in mind for another cake in the near future.
-allison

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:04am
post #5 of 15

Have you baked it yet? There is a pistachio cake on Epicurious that I made today, it was OUTRAGEOUSLY amazing. It has pistachio, orange zest and cardamom, three flavors I never, ever expected to want to eat together, especially not in a cake. I used a tweaked recipe, let me know if you would like the info.

Kitchen_Witch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitchen_Witch Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:49am
post #6 of 15

Ceshell, I'd like the recipe even if the OP doesn't! icon_biggrin.gif I want to make a cake like this for my best friend's birthday.

ceshell Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:07am
post #7 of 15

Here ya go http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pistachio-Cake-105003
(to see more comments you can also look up the Gourmet 2001 version which uses more butter...everyone said it was "too much butter" so they altered the recipe to this new 2007 version)

My modifications:
1-In addition to the 3/4c finely ground pistachios, I also added 1/4c coarsely ground pistachios to give a little crunch.
2-I added an additional 1/4 tsp cardamom as suggested by lots of Epicurious reviewers
3-I reduced the orange zest to 1 tbsp. It was plenty orangey for me that way, I think 2 would be overkill. The original (Gourmet 2001) recipe had no orange in it.
4-I baked this in two 6-inch pans for approx 37 min. If you want a 2-layer 9" cake you'll need to double the recipe.

It's suggested to pair it with whipped cream, crème fraîche or other such "icing" but I needed something nonperishable so I used plain old vanilla buttercream. But I filled it with caramel buttercream. *drools*

ac2steachk Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 15

Ahhh!!! School is so busy right now. Our school addition is just about finished and I'm spending all my time packing my whole classroom to move from a portable into one of the new classrooms.
The cake and icing are both made and I hope to have time to work on the decorating today. Thanks for keeping up. I'll let you know when I finish!
-allison

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 15

ac2steachk, I love your Avatar pic...is that your cat?

ac2steachk Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:21am
post #10 of 15

It is my cat. She had jumped up to 'attack' someone as they were walking by and I snapped this on the way down. She loves to play and has a vertical jump that I'd do anything for.

ac2steachk Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:26am
post #11 of 15

Here's the cake. I really wish I would have had more time, but so goes the life of a teacher.
I definitely need a tilting turntable. Notice I'm not showing you the side view of the cake. I don't like the border so I gave up and didn't finish adding the detail.
I used the pistachio cake recipe from here: http://nicholsfarms.com/pistachios/desserts/pistachio-cake and decided to use plain BC so I tried indydebi's recipe for the first time. The henna is done with dark chocolate icing. I can't wait to try this one!
Thanks to all who offered suggestions and support. I will definitely do another henna cake, but it will have to be during spring break or in the summer...
-allison

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1303554&done=1

ceshell Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:41am
post #12 of 15

It's gorgeous! I just commented on it icon_biggrin.gif.

The recipe is the same as the one on Epicurious I mentioned!! Actually it's the original (Gourmet 2001) version with more butter and no orange peel. So I'll bet it was deeeelicious. If you ever bake it again I highly recommend the alterations that I used from the 2007 version of the recipe.

Plain BC was totally the way to go IMHO; there is so much flavor in the cake that it's the perfect complement.

Bravo! thumbs_up.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 9:06am
post #13 of 15

You did a great job on the cake!!

I know your already finished but thought that if you tried it again maybe you could do a chai spice cake? I've never actually made a cake in this flavour but I make the tea everyday......

Once again great job!

ac2steachk Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 9:04pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks for the notes...I ended up taking the cake to school and it was a hit.

Chai spice sounds great, too.

lalakanosho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalakanosho Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:54pm
post #15 of 15

pistachio cake sounds amazing, i'm going to have to try that one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%