What To Do With All My Eggs?

Decorating By stephaniescakenj Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 6:32pm by Mike1394

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 13

Hi Everyone!

I purchased a 5 doz container of eggs a few weeks ago. Usually I go through them between batches of cake and IMBC but the beginning of January was a little slow for me so I have about a dozen set to expire in two days that I want to use up. I have four cakes to do between the 24th and 31st of January so I was thinking of just making two batches of IMBC and freezing it for use then. I've never done that before though. I think you can do that, right? If so, my question would be since these eggs are about to expire, do I have to worry about the buttercream once I defrost it, does it still have the same shelf life if there is leftover cake.

Thanks!!!

12 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 13

That reminds me of something we did in cooking school. Long time ago, and maybe it wasn't the best thing to do, but when the semester was over and we were all done cleaning out the fridges, the eggs were left in. School was set to start again in a couple of months, and the chef/instructor said, eggs kept for months. I always wondered about that. I never have egss for longer than a couple ofweeks at most, due to them just plain being used before then.

stephaniescakenj Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 13

Exactly! we always go through them so I've never had them sit around long enough to expire but I hate to waste them especially since I have a use for them in two weeks and secondly the cost just went up by $1.40 per 5 doz here so I really don't want to just throw them out.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 13

you can hard boil them and they they will last longer. Maybe make a lemon meringue pie. Scrambled eggs for breakfast, french toast, Have breakfast for dinner one night. 1 doz wouldnt go bad in my house ever.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 13

Not sure about freezing egg yolks, but I know you can freeze the whites for future use. If you only use whites in certain recipes, you could freeze them for that. Take an ice cube tray and place one egg white in each receptable of the ice cube tray. That way you know exactly how many whites you have.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 13

Why not bake up your cakes now & fz those? I don't make IMBC so don't know how that fzs. And...........eggs will last past the expire date. Usually that is the date they should be sold by and then they should last *at least* 10 days after that.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 13

If nothing else, make up a big batch of french toast and freeze it in portions for a quick toaster or microwave breakfast.

Eggs don't go bad here either. Even one time I had a ton leftover from a big Sam's Club case of them...by the time I was done cooking and stuff for the holidays, and my four little boys ate a few breakfasts of eggs....we were actually buying more again the next week!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

....and my four little boys ate a few breakfasts of eggs....we were actually buying more again the next week!

Dang...I have a little boy and find time to bake hard enough. 4? You go girl! thumbs_up.gif

stephaniescakenj Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks for all the ideas!!! You guys are great. I was going to bake my cakes ahead but I haven't nailed down final designs for all of them yet, that would have been the easiest to just bake in advance though. I actually have two dozen eggs but I've already accounted for the eggs I'll be feeding my kids over the next few days so it left me with at least a dozen yet, it didn't occur to me to just freeze the egg whites though. DUH! so I'm going to do that instead. I couldn't even figure out where all the buttercream was going to fit in the freezer anyway so that will work perfectly.

Thanks!!!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 13

I froze a bit of IMBC once and it separated when I tried to color it later. Never had IMBC do that before, so I wouldn't suggest it.
Egg whites in ice cube trays - thats so smart!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:15pm
post #12 of 13

I've done the french toast thing too. after you make all the toast, cut some squares of parchment paper and put them between the slices and put it all back in the bag.

I like making Simple Simon pie with egg yolks, and then meringue cookies (or pavolva) with the whites.

Simple Simon Pie
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup coconut
2 cups milk
2 tsp vanilla

Blend in the blender. Pour into a 10" greased pie plate. Bake at 350 for 1 hr

Hope that helps!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:32pm
post #13 of 13

Separate, put into ice cube trays, freeze, and bag.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%