Doctored Cake Mixes?

Baking By sunkiss456 Updated 31 Dec 2013 , 10:34pm by lutie

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 6:04am
post #121 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetkisscakes

do you prepare the pudding first or do you just add the pudding mix?

I add it dry. Butter cream would be fine. My favorite is adding mini-chocolate chips to it with a chocolate truffle filling (Orange Valencia).

You could probably mix orange marmalade with buttercream, too.

sweetkisscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkisscakes Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 9:46pm
post #122 of 181

so i just made the orange dreamsicle cake and the batter was sooo yummy!! thanks so much for the recipe.

my only concern is that i have had it in the oven for over an hour and it still isn't done. I'm cooking it in a 3in and a 6in 3 in deep pans at 325.

I also cooked it in a water bath because I have heard that makes them more even and moist.

Is it normal for it to still be liquidy? it seems like only the top is cooked and it is just starting to set.

sorry for all my crazy questions. I want this cake to be perfect since i'm hoping it will attract lots of new orders.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:03pm
post #123 of 181

I just made this cake Thursday; it IS yummy! For what it's worth, you absolutely didn't need a waterbath, it's very, very moist all on it's own.....I did mine in 8" square 2"deep pans and it did take quite a while for it to bake. I was worried it would brown too much, but it barely browned at all. It did sink in the middle unfortunately, but I didn't use any kind of heating core. I don't think the cake had quite as much flavor as the batter, but still tastes great. The texture is a little different than I'm used to but I don't know how to describe it. Not sticky.....not chewy......but ultra moist; almost 'wet'. I think it's from the sherbet since there's so much in it. Will I make it again? Absolutely, everyone here loves it! I might even add more orange extract the next time!

MacsMom Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:06pm
post #124 of 181

3" deep pans do take longer to bake, even 6" rounds. The WASC batter is more moist and heavy and it takes longer to bake than cake mix alone.

Mine are always in the oven for an hour minimal, with 2" deep pans - and 3" deep pans for 90 mins. I stopped using 3" pans because they take too long to bake.

The water bath I don't know about. I use Bake Even strips to keep it from doming and to keep the sides from getting overcooked.

MacsMom Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:09pm
post #125 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

I just made this cake Thursday; it IS yummy! For what it's worth, you absolutely didn't need a waterbath, it's very, very moist all on it's own.....I did mine in 8" square 2"deep pans and it did take quite a while for it to bake. I was worried it would brown too much, but it barely browned at all. It did sink in the middle unfortunately, but I didn't use any kind of heating core. I don't think the cake had quite as much flavor as the batter, but still tastes great. The texture is a little different than I'm used to but I don't know how to describe it. Not sticky.....not chewy......but ultra moist; almost 'wet'. I think it's from the sherbet since there's so much in it. Will I make it again? Absolutely, everyone here loves it! I might even add more orange extract the next time!

The orange flavor gets stronger over time. It's best when eaten 24 hours later icon_wink.gif Nielsen Massey makes a nice strong orange extract.

sweetkisscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkisscakes Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:15pm
post #126 of 181

I guess i'll just keep it in there and keep checking on it. i'm kind of wishing i just used 2in pans now. I tried to make it 2in tall in the 3 in pan so that I could have a 4in cake. lets just say they are gona be a little off lol. the 6 in pan is on the bottom and that seems to be even less done. maybe because it's on the bottom?

MacsMom Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 10:23pm
post #127 of 181

It's a biger pan - it should take longer (unless there is less batter in it).

I make two 2" cakes for one tier icon_wink.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:59pm
post #128 of 181

MacsMom, thanks so much for sharing all of these wonderful recipes with us. You are awesome!!!!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:14pm
post #129 of 181

Did I miss the Orange Cremecicle Cake recipe somewhere? icon_smile.gifusaribbon.gif [/i]

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:20pm
post #130 of 181

It's towards the beginning, I think page 2. MacsMom has a long post generously sharing many recipes.

CakesByLJ Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 5:24pm
post #131 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmomof3boys

It's towards the beginning, I think page 2. MacsMom has a long post generously sharing many recipes.

Ah.. thanks.. I guess I missed that one.. icon_redface.gif

sweettreats36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreats36 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 6:17pm
post #132 of 181

Thanks so much Macsmom for all the great recipes and advice.

MacsMom Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #133 of 181

You're very welcome! thumbs_up.gif

I just made up a graham cracker cake with the WASC for a s'mores cake - it turned out great! I swear that's a no-fail recipe that let's you do whatever the heck you want with it.

I simply replaced 1 c flour with 1 c graham crackers that I ground in the food processor, and replaced 1 c white sugar with 1 c brown sugar! I used a milk chocolate truffle filling with a layer of marshmallow creme on top.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:18pm
post #134 of 181

Hi!!

Macsmom.... do you have any 'no-fail' frosting and filling recipes? Something similiar to the WASC , that you can continually change and morph into whatever flavor you want?

Just curious, as usual icon_redface.gif

I hate to be such a pest, I am tying to learn and I always seem to have a gazillion questions

TIA

Jess icon_razz.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:22pm
post #135 of 181

I was just looking at some of the recipes on page 2 of this thread and WOWZA -- I can't wait to start baking! icon_lol.gif

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 9:00pm
post #136 of 181

I didnt mean to single out Macsmom for that question....sorry, I wasnt thinking while I was typing icon_confused.gif

If ANYONE has any great frosting and/or filling recipes they'd like to share, i would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 10:52pm
post #137 of 181

Macsmom ( or anyone else)

What do you use for a frosting filling for the Tropical dream cake? Is it coconut?

TIA!

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 12:52am
post #138 of 181

Macsmom - the cake I made following the example of your "signature cake" turned out great. I tried to upload/attach it here but it was too large. My granddaughter loved it and so did her friends.
Thank you for all your direction

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:16am
post #139 of 181

Need a little help please I just made the wasc cake I have made it be fore turn out very good but this time and once before it turned out a disater I used DH before once good, once not good. also pilbury this time and do any one use cake flour maybe that? I have one BC any help please.
thanks sammie

MacsMom Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 3:32am
post #140 of 181

Sammie, I always use BC. I've had issues with DH (bubbling over the pan onto the bottom of my oven); PB is OK, but I can always rely on BC.

I didn't feel like looking back, but wa sit here I posted my Truffle filling? I think it was under my Creme de Mente variation... anyway, I forgot that I began adding 2/3 c butter to that recipe because it is too hard without it.

I make the truffle filling a lot, using milk chocolate chips mostly and adding LoRann flavored oils. But white chocolate works great, too, by itself or flavored with orange, strawberry, cherry...

I use Frostin Pride blended with cheesecake pudding (dry mix) and add anything to that, as well: cookies, ice-cream toppings, Torani flavorings, jam or pastry fillings...

For my tropical cake I use a pineapple cheesecake filling, which is Frostin Pride/pudding with pineapple pastry filling and cream cheese blended in icon_wink.gif BUt it is also great with a banana filling or coconut pastry filling.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:04pm
post #141 of 181

MacsMom, I just printed them off. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Thanks also to whomever shared about making a mudslide.

Oh Yum!!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:24pm
post #142 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessDesserts

If ANYONE has any great frosting and/or filling recipes they'd like to share, i would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!

Just found this great site today: http://www.ladycakes.com/Recipes/Fillings/fillings.htm

http://www.ladycakes.com/Recipes/Frostings/frosting.htm

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:27pm
post #143 of 181

That is a great site, FlourPots. Thanks for sharing!

FlourPots Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:32pm
post #144 of 181

You're very welcome...I have to give credit to ThreeDGirlie who posted a link to the "Raspberry White Chocolate Mousse" for someone in the Recipe Request forum...I poked around and found that jackpot.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:13pm
post #145 of 181

Thanks again to all who posted I really would love to try that WASC never tried it but hear great things about it.

CakesByLJ Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:34pm
post #146 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

You're very welcome...I have to give credit to ThreeDGirlie who posted a link to the "Raspberry White Chocolate Mousse" for someone in the Recipe Request forum...I poked around and found that jackpot.

ohhhh, that sounds good... can you share the link with us?? icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:50pm
post #148 of 181
FlourPots Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:52pm
post #149 of 181

No problem icon_biggrin.gif .

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:58pm
post #150 of 181

Okay, I'm making the margarita cake this morning for a girlfriends b-day party tonight. Now that I've broken the eggs and sifted the mixes and pudding together I wish I'd thought about it and halved the recipe for this occasion. Guess I'll make two cakes and have one for the weekend, like I need a whole cake in my house this weekend. UGH!

MacsMom, got a suggestion for the filling? What do you use? I think a friend is going to bring lime sherbet to have with the cake. I don't want it to be overpowering so I plan to ice it (and probably fill, with bc flavored with Princess emulsion and put white sparkling sugar around the top border like salt around the rim of a glass. I'll taste the batter and decide. I'm real curious about this one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%