Can Royal Icing Decorate A Buttercream Based Cake

Decorating By kmk Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 9:37pm by Sweet_Guys

kmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmk Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:13am
post #1 of 13

I was just wondering if I make royal icing snowflakes and let them dry will they stay together if I put them on a buttercream frosted cake?

I have a wedding cake for the end of January and the bride wants buttercream frosting but she wants edible snowflakes decorating the cake sides and also toppers. Any suggestions?

12 replies
sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:25am
post #2 of 13

I did exactly that on the winter cake in my photos. They held up just fine.

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 13

Piping it out of white chocolate would work well if the royal icing did not. I am always afraid to put royal icing on buttercream because you would thing the oils in the buttercream would seep into the RI and just disinegrate it. But I guess not!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 13

.........thing the oils in the buttercream would seep into the RI and just disinegrate it. But I guess not!...............

No, no, no a thousand times no. Once the RI deco is dried (and the RI properly made) there is almost no chance of that happening.

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:50am
post #5 of 13

I was going to post about this very thing. I've seen a lot of photos of BC-iced cakes with RI decorations.

Are these usually iced directly onto the cake, or made separately? I'm referring to somewhat intricate line work, not solid images.

What's the advantage of piping decorations with RI as opposed to BC?

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 13

I ice royal right on my BC cakes and have had no problems, even with them painted and in the fridge.

Advantages:

1. Truer colors because the RI starts out pure white, rather than tinged with yellow as my IMBC is.

2. Easier to work with because it doesn't MELT in your hand while you're piping.

3. Easier to pipe in general.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Stef

I ice 1. Truer colors because the RI starts out pure white, rather than tinged with yellow as my IMBC is.

hat reminds me...do you use violet in the IMBC to cancel out the yellow from the butter, or is there anothermethod that would work better? I got done telling someone yesterday that my icing will never be true white because I refuse to use clear butter flavor, plus since I like SMBC and IMBC now, it's not possible to omit the butter.

Can any of you guys get your IMBC and SMBC truly white?

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 13

Geez...I can't cut and paste properly. Sorry for the mangled post!

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:05am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Stef

I ice 1. Truer colors because the RI starts out pure white, rather than tinged with yellow as my IMBC is.

hat reminds me...do you use violet in the IMBC to cancel out the yellow from the butter, or is there anothermethod that would work better? I got done telling someone yesterday that my icing will never be true white because I refuse to use clear butter flavor, plus since I like SMBC and IMBC now, it's not possible to omit the butter.

Can any of you guys get your IMBC and SMBC truly white?

My buttercream is neither Italian nor Swiss- it uses meringue powder, butter, Crisco, powdered sugar, and flavoring. Because it does come out ivory instead of white, I add a healthy dose of Wilton White White icing color. It makes a pretty bright white, and I like the way the texture comes out as well.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:42am
post #10 of 13

I never bother trying to get my IMBC whiter than it turns out, and it really depends on the butter. It just...is what it is. If a bride insists on super-bright white, I offer fondant. Most aren't that picky, so far.

Sometimes if you whip the butter for a long time before adding it to the IMBC, it will whiten the butter up some, but I add it at a fairly firm stage, so I'd have to re-chill it, and I don't bother with that either, so they just get the IMBC whatever color it turns out. All my cakes are either fondant or IMBC, so you can see how white it is, usually.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:54am
post #11 of 13

Yes, adding a very little bit of violet gel/paste color to a yellow or cream colored icing will turn it to a nice white.

I use butter and real vanilla in my buttercream, so I find adding a drop or 2 of voilet preferable to using a lot of white coloring (basically liquid titanium dioxide).

HTH
Rae

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:42am
post #12 of 13

Sweet. Didn't know if i worked with SMBC....I mean, I don't know why it wouldn't. Just didn't want to be posting here later saying "I tried to get white icing and now I have a KA full of purple SMBC"! Lol...

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:37pm
post #13 of 13

You can use white cake colorant and it will turn your icing white.

As far as the royal icing on buttercream, we've made flowers in advance and then laid them on the buttercream.

Paul & Peter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%