Census?

Lounge By TheCakerator Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 2:17pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:23am
post #1 of 12

I am thinking about taking a test locally to become a person who does the 2010 census. The pay is good, the hours are flexible, but the practice test just about killed me .. I feel I am of reasonable intelligence but this test made me feel like I was the dumbest person on earth ... the lady on the phone said 4 out of 5 people pass this test so they act like its easy but I tried on line and felt irritated and frustrated all at the same time ... Are there any people on here that do this kind of work?

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 12

Really? I also was considering that job.........not so sure now.
Do you have a line to the on line test? I'd like to see it.

TheCakerator Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 12

if you google practice census test 2010 you can find them online .. it is just a sample of what the real test is like ... but I found it hard to do .. I guess because I have never been a great test taker, and I felt rushed and math is not my strong point so I felt flustered and made crazy reading mistakes and therefore got a lot of the questions wrong .. but my mom was a census taker yearssssssssssss ago and she said once you are on the job, it doesn't take a lot of skill! I will go take the test and most likely fail and then not have to worry about it anymore! My sister and sil are both taking it as well ....

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 12

I worked the census the last time around and I remember the test being waaaay harder than the job actually was! Don't worry about it, I'm sure you did fine....I'm not really sure what the test is about anyway, since, like I said before, the actual job part of it is relatively simple. I do remember going to a training for 2 days that seemed to be the most boring thing I'd ever done! icon_eek.gif Leave to the feds to make something simple harder than it has to be, right? icon_lol.gif

TheCakerator Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 12

mlynnb, thanks so much .. I am sure the test is going to be harder then what the job really is ... I am off to take it in just a few minutes ... I don't know if I would rather fail and not have the stress over my head, or if I want to pass and make some supposedly easy money for a few weeks! I guess only time will tell if I even have to make that decision ....

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 12

Can you tell me what is involved in the actual job? Is it done on the phone, in person, door t odoor? I may be interested in this, but I babysit in the mornings, and my son is in afternoon kindergarten, so home in the mornings.

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 12

jen1977-

what I did for the census was door-to-door. I actually had to have a babysitter because of this, but the pay is really good, so it was worth it. I just was supposed to record info from whoever was home, or leave a packet if they weren't.

TheCakeorater--
I'm sorry, I thought you had already taken the test! I'm sure you'll do fine. If you're anything like me, I always stress over these things, but it usually ends up just fine! I wish I could remember more about the actual test, but I mostly remember the job....
My DH actually didn't want me to do it this time around because he doesn't like the door to door aspect of it (he's a little protective, my hubby icon_rolleyes.gif ), but honestly, I never felt unsafe the last time...maybe it just depends on your area! Good Luck!!! thumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 12

well my area seems safe enough to go door to door .. but my mom who has done this in years past now says she would feel unsafe going door to door, something she says comes with age and life experience, I don't know! Anyways I took the test this morning .. I did a practice one online and got majority of them wrong .. when I took the actual test I did much better, only missing four questions ... I am sure they were all the math ones since I'm so bad at it, but at least I did not bomb it! The job seems to be very flexible for hours and what not, so if you have a testing session in your area, I would say go for it!

jen1977 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 11:04pm
post #9 of 12

I was talking to dh about possibly doing this, and he said "Jen, our area is safe, but I can't let you go walk around the West side of Dayton getting census numbers." Guess he's right...I'd be chicken anyway.

TheCakerator Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:41am
post #10 of 12

as far as I know, they only make you do census in your hometown area .. at least that is what I got from the guy giving out the test today ...

jen1977 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 12:48am
post #11 of 12

Well, I live in the suburbs, so the west side of Dayton is included. Sometimes our mail comes and says Dayton instead of our city.

TheCakerator Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:17pm
post #12 of 12

Oh I see .....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%