Using Silicone Mats To Line Cake Pans Instead Of Parchment

Decorating By Edibleart Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 6:55am by ceshell

Edibleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edibleart Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 9

Has anyone done this? It would save alot of time - at least on my most requested sizes - and eventually cost and waste. Maybe this doesn't work either and doesn't bake right. I use flower nails in my larger pans, but I could just poke holes in the right places for the nails.

Thanks for any and all opinions/experience!

8 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 9

I have them to fit my 8" rounds only. Yes, they're great and if I could find other sizes I guess I'd buy them, although I wouldn't spend a lot. I don't really find it too much trouble to cut out parchment. Re the nails thing, you'd just sit it on top of the mat, so you wouldn't need to poke a hole in it.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 9

The Christmas Tree Shoppe had some silicone cake pan liners a few months ago. They only had for round pans though. I think the cost was about $2 each. Maybe you can find other sizes premade for cake pans elsewhere.

I don't think you can cut up a Silpat brand mat, because they have glass in them. If you were planning on cutting up a mat, I would think you would have to use just the regular silicone. Although, I'm not sure. I had 2 silicone mats from Tupperware. I accidently slit one with a knife (I know, you're not supposed to cut on them!) After a few months, I had to throw it out because it started to discolor and get smelly, like rancid oil. My other one is perfectly fine, as are my Silpats. (None of them have any cuts.)

Please keep us updated. I'm interested!

Edibleart Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 9

I received a set of 10 3/4" x 16 3/4" silicone baking sheets for Christmas. They say that they can be cut to any size. It is oven safe to 430 F, dishwasher, microwave and freezer safe. I was thinking that I could get them in larger sizes for the larger sheets/squares/rounds. I will probably look to see what they cost and see if it would be cost saving or not! I didn't realize that Silpat cannot be cut - thanks for the info!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:13am
post #5 of 9

FWIW my local restaurant supply store carries parchment rounds in 8, 9 and 10" sizes, about 100 per pack for somewhere around $4 a pack (I THINK...I bought two packs and I wouldn't have done so if they were a lot of $$). The way I see it, it is way cheaper than cutting out parchment paper because otherwise all of that paper gets wasted...not to mention the ease of use of course. That's Surfas by the way but I checked and they don't sell them in their online store icon_sad.gif. Maybe they would sell them over the phone?

Anyway if you decide you don't want to go down the silicone path, you might want to consider that option. For some reason I can taste the silicone in my baked goods (but I don't think most people have that problem) so I avoid using it.

Edibleart Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:40am
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the info. Right now, the majority of my customers order sheets so the round parchment wouldn't help for that. I haven't tried baking a cake with silicone, but I will definitely try it to see if I can taste the silicone. That doesn't sound too yummy!!!

ceshell Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 5:56am
post #7 of 9

I think I'm just weird that way icon_rolleyes.gif - I have to admit I've never known anyone else to have noticed the taste, so don't be too fearful of that thumbs_up.gif .

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 6:26am
post #8 of 9

Ceshell, are you saying Surfas makes the parchment rounds? I've looked for some but can't find them.

I was at target tonight & picked up some 9 x 13 silicone mats for $2.50 each. I haven't tried them yet so I can't comment on them, but if you have a Target close by you might want to check it out. They were in the front where they have their $1 bins.

ceshell Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 6:55am
post #9 of 9

Yes, Surfas has them, but I found them in the store (I live about 20 minutes away from there). I didn't see any on their website. I agree that you can surely just cut down those standard silicone mats; they are just straight silicone, without the fiberglass weave of the silpat (or knockoffs). As mentioned by Edibleart, most of those plain mats specifically state they CAN be cut to size. Yay!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%