Cookie Photos

Baking By JillK Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 7:34pm by DsLady614

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have any tips about taking good photos of your cookies? I have a new, relatively good digital camera and am a decent photographer, but this is giving me fits. icon_rolleyes.gif I seem to have a problem with things getting washed out, no matter how much I fidgit with the flash. I didn't have this problem with my old digital and this is allegedly a better camera ...

I'm also looking for background tips. I plan to buy some plain black and white placemats, but does anyone have more/better ideas?

(One of these days I'm going to be able to post photos again. Really. That's what I tell myself, anyway ...)

Thanks!

6 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 7

I am by no means a pro, but this is how my husband explains it: With small objects like cookies and cupcakes, the camera wants to grab and focus on the larger objects in the background. Using a backdrop like a black science board (the three-sided poster/display boards) allows the focus to settle on the cookies only and not try to grab from other objects.

Hope that helps just a little...

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 7

You could try building a simple light box. It really makes a difference - I just posted some pics that were taken in a light box and they stand out as being MUCH better pictures.

Here is a thread about building one yourself (not hard at all)
http://forum.cakecentral.com/santa-santa-i-want-this-ftopicp-6195242.html#6195242

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks tubbs for the link! I think even I can handle making this. Your cookies look awesome!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks, Tubbscookies! I have really admired your photography and this will help me on rainy days as I usually use natural light.

Jill - If you are trying to shoot right now before you can build Tubbs' lightbox, I suggest trying to use natural light. You don't want direct, harsh sunlight light pouring in from a window, but a soft, diffused light. An overcast day works well or a sunny day at a time when the sun is not beating directing into that window. I would avoid using flash. Also, bracket your photos (setting it on different modes) and shoot at different times of the day. This is what I do and it seems to work (until I can get that lightbox made!).

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks Tracy, but any of my photos that look nice were taken by DH, who is much more patient than me! We took a lot for a wedding show I did a while ago, but haven't got around to loading most of them (too lazy to resize a whole bunch!)

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 7

Part of the problem might also be with your camera. I was having the same problem with my older digital. So I did a lot reading. The setting to use for small items is the macro setting. Many older camera's simply don't have a small enough macro setting to capture cookies or cupcakes without the flash. I bought a new camera, and I specifically researched it to find the best macro. The first pictures I took with it thrilled me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%