My Cat Has To Have An Eyelift!

Lounge By costumeczar Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 3:03am by funcakes

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 8

I just thought this was funny...We had to put our 16-yr-old cats to sleep over the past year, so when we were ready to adopt some more we got two semi-feral ones (they had been living outside but people who lived nearby had been taking care of them, so they're sort of used to people.) Anyway, one of them seemed to have an eye infection, and when I took him to the cat opthamologist (I was surprised that these exist, too) he said that it wasn't an infection, his eyes didn't develop right and his lower eyelids are turning in and the lashes are rubbing on his corneas. That makes his eyes irritated and watery, and he needs to have a lower-eyelid "lift" to get the lids to pull farther away from his eyes.

I just never thought about plastic surgery for cats before! The vet said that this thing is more common with dogs, and that he does about one of these operations on dogs each week...Who knew!

7 replies
kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 8

Yup, vets pretty much do everything that human Drs do. A lot of the equipment is the same too! And yes, entropic eyelashes are quite common esp with little guys like shih tzus and maltese. And once fixed he should be good as new!
icon_biggrin.gif Congrats on the new family members! icon_biggrin.gif

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:19am
post #3 of 8

awww poor kitty! I hope you are able to do the surgery and he will be ok afterwards!

BarbRaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbRaz Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 8

I had two English Bulldogs that had to have this done. I always say that I'll never be able to afford an eye tuck for myself, but my dogs have each had one. icon_rolleyes.gif

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:10am
post #5 of 8

Awww. One of my dogs has to have knee surgery, she's already had the other one done. It's amazing how similar vet and human care has gotten. Best of luck!

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 8

BTW Barbraz, that picture of the puppy you have as your avatar is absolutely precious! No doubt he'll be fitting into that collar in no time!

BarbRaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbRaz Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 8

I wish I could say that it was my puppy, but I got it off of an avatar site. He does look like an english bulldog that I had years ago. I do have a bullmastiff and a chinese crested (the odd couple), but I've yet to figure out how to put their pictures up there instead.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:03am
post #8 of 8

I think I can believe anything when it comes to pets now. My son's pet cat (male) started to have a lot of problems with crystals in his urine. so, after an expensive trip to the vet to make him better-the vet tells him that it is only temporary. for a permanent solution to the urinary problem the cat should have-get this!-a sex change to a female.
I think I have heard everything now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%