Huge Order... 300 Cupcakes!! What Do I Do?????

Business By kellertur Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 5:11pm by Debcent

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 10:58pm
post #61 of 90

k2cakes, if you are willing to pass on some recipes to me, i would be most grateful! thank you so much!

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 11:45pm
post #62 of 90

Kristi-Just wanted to just wanted to wish you luck-with whatever you decide to do.
I had a 2200 cookie order last May. It was a good learning experience because now I know I won't do one that large again. It's okay to know your limits.

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 11:54pm
post #63 of 90

I commend you on your choice to be vegan. It takes a lot of dedication to live this lifestyle. I don't believe;however, some of the posts were meant as an attack on your personal choices. I think some people were simply suggesting that your clients may not have the same preferences as you and you might be able to get away cheaper and easier on you if you tried other recipes. I have many vegan friends that because of their strong beliefs about animals would never even consider this a choice. That is all that be need said. I don't think they were being disrespectful and downing your personal beliefs and baking ability. I have had great and not so great vegan cake, and I have had great and not so great regular cake. It is all in the baking. Roll with the punches and try not to get so defensive and take things so personal. I am sure your cakes are wonderful. Also Take the order!!!! I have 5 kids ( under 4) and 3 dogs and a small kitchen. Get bigger pans, bake several pans at a time, and rotate out pans. Cupcakes freeze well. I did 100 with piped daiseys and 3-D royal icing butterflys for my daughters class. I bought a 14x19" box, stuck a piece of cardboard in the bottom for stability, and fit 30 per box. Go on line call a bakery that makes vegan goods (preferably in your area) and see what they charge. You can't beat just the swirl. Ask your price, try doing the 300 once, and if you absolutely hate it decline to do anymore bulk baking. Good luck, much respect, GO VEGANS!!!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:04am
post #64 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girliesmama

Roll with the punches and try not to get so defensive and take things so personal. Good luck, much respect, GO VEGANS!!!

I appreciate the support. I think I understand what you are trying to say, however I don't appreciate being called defensive. (I probably am a bit now though icon_rolleyes.gif )
I carefully read the posts before responding, and the majority were very helpful. I deal with vegan stereotypes all the time, and I do let most of them slide. However, when someone flat out tells me I can't possibly make cakes that non-vegans will like, I do take offense to that. It's an unfair generalization, which had nothing to do with this thread.
I was also told I "HAD" to disclose that I was a vegan baker... WHAT??? It's not a moral imperative. Is baking without eggs or dairy a crime against nature? detective.gif
Should I post a red "V" outside my door? (Joke)
I do tell people, but not for that reason. It lets people know I am allergy friendly. icon_smile.gif

You had some great suggestion, so thanks. I really appreciate your time and help. icon_smile.gif

YANKEEGAL~ thanks for the helpful suggestions, as always icon_smile.gif

clmiller1206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clmiller1206 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:00am
post #65 of 90

I've been lurking about in all of the forums for a few months but have been reluctant to post. I generally feel that I have nothing of value to add to the expert opinions and info that I see here on CC. However, this topic hit close to home for me.

I'm sure that they have asked for your cakes because they already know they are yummy (vegan or not). I had made a few birthday/shower cakes for my co-workers and my employer asked me last year to provide our monthly employee birthday cakes to feed 200+ employees. They requested sheet cakes for four locations and offered me $165 per month. I knew that was crazy, so I offered to do cupcakes instead because I thought it would be SO much easier (insert STUPID sign here).

This is what I learned after committing to that arrangement for one year:

1. Ask for a trial period of 90 days or so. This will give you time to find out if it will be a workable arrangement for you, and you can decline to continue without feeling like you are bailing out on the deal.
2. Things to remember (that I did not) when calculating pricing - time and $$$ spent shopping for ingredients/supplies, cleanup, boxing, loading the car, delivery, etc.
3. You and your family may come to dread "cupcake weekend". Yes, they are not complicated, but 300 cupcakes takes up a lot of time and space - you'll be piping buttercream swirls in your sleep!
4. You will have a lot more people trying your cakes, which will likely result in more opportunities for long-term repeat customers thumbs_up.gif

Anyway, to make a long story longer, I told them that I would have to increase the price to continue doing them this year. I was told they they were already paying me over their budget and that they couldn't pay extra, so they are going to Wal-Mart instead - ugh! I guess that it is not so important that the cake is good, just that it is provided. Just make sure if you decide to go for it that it is a good deal for YOU. Otherwise you might be kicking yourself every time you have to make those &@% things that may be taking time away from your other orders!

Sorry this is so long - good luck!

kellertur Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:23am
post #66 of 90

clmiller1206~ Thank you. (And I'm sure you have lots to contribute to the forums). You gave me lots to consider. I never really have factored in time spent shopping, cleaning, etc.. only baking. I guess I've been cheating myself in a way.

I was cursing my small kitchen again this evening as I was baking what will be my first Topsy-turvy cake for a co-worker of DH. I've learned to bake one night, decorate the next. Less chaos. I laughed when I realized I'd be decorating someone else's birthday cake on my birthday... icon_rolleyes.gif We were just discussing having DH doing most of the baking as he has more patience than I do. I'd rather be decorating. I'm not sure if a mountain of undecorated cupcakes wouldn't drive me crazy... we'll see. madhatter.gif

I forgot to mention~
I had GREAT success veganizing a WASC recipe I found here. I'd be happy to post which one it was if anyone is interested. I had been dreading the results, however it came out well. Moist and firm. The edges were a bit crusty, but I think I overfilled the pans. I tried carving it, and it was fine. All I did to veganize it was to subsitute with egg replacer, soymilk and soy sour cream. icon_smile.gif

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:30am
post #67 of 90

<raises hand> I want to try a vegan cake/cupcake recipe please!!

I have had vegan desserts and id LOVE LOVE LOVE a fabulous recipe.

Thanks in advance!

Jess

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:10am
post #68 of 90

I had to pipe in just to share my experiences with vegan recipes. I am not vegan but after hearing so much praise about Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, I ordered the book.

It has been my go-to book for cupcake recipes for the past 8 months or so. I've loved every single cupcake recipe I've tried and nobody can ever believe that there are no butter or eggs in the cupcakes. I even forget, I've used the recipes that much. The chocolate recipe rivals my favorite "regular" chocolate recipe, I love it! And I must say it is so nice to be able to whip some up when I need to and not have to worry about softening some butter or making sure I have eggs on hand (i'm a scratch baker as well). It's cheaper too! I'm now a believer that you do NOT need eggs for baking. I've yet to try a vegan cake but as far as cuppies, it works just fine.
I made 3 different flavors once (3 dozen total) for a friend's going away party and someone else brought cuppies from a well-known neighborhood bakery (only a dozen). Every one of mine was gone and half of the bakery's were still there. My favs - the chocolate recipe, margarita, banana split, boston cream, crimson velvet and I finally tried the carrot cake recently - fantastic!

They've all been moist and so flavorful and some are just fun recipes. I highly recommend that book if you want to try a few. You can even google and come across a few recipes online.

It is all in the mixing/baking.

K2Cakes, I'd probably do try it for a month but I love cupcakes. It does go by faster than you think if you prepare. There are cupcake holders/boxes that will hold up to 3 dozen so you won't need 25 boxes. Good site here:
http://www.brpboxshop.com/

All the best to you!! Let us know if you do them. thumbs_up.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:05pm
post #69 of 90

Hey Kristi, I'd really love the recipe for the veganized WASC. I haven't had requests for anything vegan yet but I'd love to try something new if you don't mind sharing. do you get the ingredients at the grocery store or do you have a special store? I don't think I've heard of soy sour cream, but I have seen soy milk.

And GOOD LUCK with your first topsy turvy, I hope it comes out perfect. Once your done, you should check out my first TT, it's pink and purple... but wait til your done. i don't want to scare you icon_lol.gif

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:59pm
post #70 of 90

Just wanted to add, I am a health nut ( an get razzed all the time) and do believe a healthy cake can be a good cake. I am very excited also that more people are appealing to people with allergies. I feel a lot of things these days are over refined and for the most part junk. So if you can have your cake and eat it too, Why not icon_lol.gif (yes this is off the subject, but I really do agree and commend you on your passion for giving a quality health concious product option)

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:26pm
post #71 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

I am not vegan but after hearing so much praise about Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, I ordered the book.

I have been wanting this book for months and I finally got it. I can't wait to try the recipes!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:59pm
post #72 of 90

I borrowed it from the library one time and my vegan friend came over, saw it, and returned the next day with hers. She said she "wasn't impressed" but she also isn't a baker so...
I have yet to try any of the recipes in it, but I do plan to. It's sitting in its happy spot with all my other cake books. icon_biggrin.gif

Bonniecakes08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonniecakes08 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:08am
post #73 of 90

So, K2, the suspense is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!Have you decided yet whether or not to take the order ???

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:32am
post #74 of 90

One thing to remember (for all of the posters here thinking about offering vegan cakes along with their regular cakes) is that most vegans aren't going to want a cake that was mixed and baked using utensils and pans that have touched animal products. So if you plan to offer vegan cakes.. make sure that you get all new utensils and pans.. mixer bowls and paddles.. spatulas and mixing bowls.. piping bags and tips.. turntable.. everything. It's the same thing if you offer allergenic foods.. all separate stuff. icon_smile.gif

clmiller1206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clmiller1206 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:50am
post #75 of 90

K2cakes - if I read your post correctly, today is your birthday? Its hard for me to figure out - the date & time shown on this site is way off my local time.

If it is your birthday - Happy Day!! birthday.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:56am
post #76 of 90

I bought some chocolate today from Trader Joes and noticed it said "vegan." Then on the back it said their manufacturers take great care to clean their machines and it was made on machines that processed milk, eggs (& nuts, soy & wheat.) It made me laugh.

kellertur Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 6:07am
post #77 of 90

Thanks for the birthday wishes. icon_smile.gif
I just finished (at 1am) the topsy turvy cake I made for DH coworker, who's birthday is the day after mine. (He didn't realize I'd be working on my birthday) I've wanted to try making one of those crazy cakes.

I think I'm going to decline the cupcake order ~ maybe in a couple months I'll change my mind. Tonight was another "Jerry Lewis" night in the kitchen where I got in my own way and let the explitives fly~ (in a whisper so my daughter didn't hear). I have icing in my hair again, to say the least. But the cake looks cute.

If I haven't gotten back to anyone yet, I apologize and will do so in a day or two. I've literally been PM'ing my brains out with people requesting recipes. I'm trying to respond as soon as possible, but tonight I'm just burnt and need sleep. icon_cry.gif

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 6:50am
post #78 of 90

If they are willing to pay what u deserve then do it!!!! Get that $$$ girl thumbs_up.gif

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 6:54am
post #79 of 90

BTW Happy birthday! Get some rest.. party.gifparty.gifbirthday.gif

Bonniecakes08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonniecakes08 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:46pm
post #80 of 90

K2, did you ever take that cupcake order? I am just curious and how did it turn out?

kellertur Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 6:12pm
post #81 of 90

No, I haven't taken it yet, but the offer still stands if I want to. My kitchen is just so small (meaning counterspace, cupboards, etc).
Whoever designed this kitchen, must not have cooked much.
It's a nice, bright kitchen - but such a waste of space...
Luckily, I'm very handy. We updated things when we moved in a bit (I tore up the counter and put in a new one), installed new sink and pvc pipes, tiled the wall and floor, etc. But there is no money for an addition. We're waiting to move...

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 6:40pm
post #82 of 90

Cupcakes in a tiny kitchen... My solution is those stackable cooling racks! I set them up in stacks of six, which gives me 7 spots for cupcakes to cool... four in the oven, four cooling, four ready to go in at all times... Once cool, I package them and put them in the freezer-- it's tight but it can be done.. and when I say tight, I mean, it's the cooling racks on top of the stove and three feet of counter for the mixer, etc.... so I feel your pain... but you can do it!

kellertur Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 11:50pm
post #83 of 90

The racks are a great idea, but I am a SAHM to a toddler and I don't want to start (feeling like I'm) neglecting her to do massive orders. (not to mention the "forbidden fruit" that disappears from the cooling racks when I'm not looking...) icon_rolleyes.gif

My dessert cakes are starting to really pick up in cafe's and the health store, and they are much more managable. Even doing whoopie pies are a lot of work, especially when it's wholesale. One cafe keeps asking for more than I can handle, so I'm steering him towards the cakes.

I am trying to figure out my own limits while still trying to build my business (and being a SAHM). I do not want her in daycare, so I bake mostly at night. It's definitely a juggling act. On one hand I want the increased business, but on the other hand being a Mom is so much more important to me...how do all the other SAHMs divide their time? Thank goodness for the incredibly supportive husband I have... he helps a lot.
(sorry for the tangent) I just need to work out a schedule... icon_smile.gif

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 1:46am
post #84 of 90

Congrats K2! I'm there with you, it was so important to stay home with my daughter as long as possible. I have worked here and there, but we've always worked it out so either my husband or I was with her. She's almost 5 and we still haven't used daycare. I used to do a lot of stuff during naps or when she went down for the night, but she quit naps at 2. Now I try to involve her as much as she can, or I've set up a little kitchen for her in the big kitchen and she loves to mimic. Or we set her up at the kitchen table with crayons or ?

kellertur Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 2:32am
post #85 of 90

Thanks Monica. I'd love to have her help me, but I'm still sketchy about the foodcode and kids... I've only had my license a short time. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have her wash her hands and she plays in the sink (I'm fortunate to have a little "mini-me" that loves to clean thumbs_up.gif). She makes pizza dough with her Dad every Saturday and she seems to love cooking. I really want her to remember special times like that with me, so I try to make her a part of whatever I do (even when it's not convenient).
My mother loved me but was always busy "doing something else" (she had a lot of problems). It's just very important to me that she knows I want her around, if that makes sense. It's my issue... projection? icon_rolleyes.gif

SoccerPrincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoccerPrincess Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:26am
post #86 of 90

I am getting married and need an order of 300 cupcakes. Im getting married in New York probably and really need a good deal on them. If anybody can help I would really appreciate it. icon_biggrin.gif I'm so excited!!!!

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:48pm
post #87 of 90

sorry I'm not going to read every single thread and this may have been hashed to death, but for those who say that vegan cakes are an acquired taste, they HAVE to have simply had bad vegan cakes. I am not vegan in any way shape or form, but my chocolate cake recipe is vegan - purely because I seen a picture of how well they rose so decided I had to try it. It is now the only chocolate cake recipe I use and EVERYONE raves about it - it is super most, super chocolatey and no one has a clue that it's vegan.

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:51pm
post #88 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanefy

sorry I'm not going to read every single thread and this may have been hashed to death, but for those who say that vegan cakes are an acquired taste, they HAVE to have simply had bad vegan cakes. I am not vegan in any way shape or form, but my chocolate cake recipe is vegan - purely because I seen a picture of how well they rose so decided I had to try it. It is now the only chocolate cake recipe I use and EVERYONE raves about it - it is super most, super chocolatey and no one has a clue that it's vegan.

Nanefy,Ohh please share your recipe!!

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 4:05pm
post #89 of 90

sure no problem:

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups hot water
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon instant coffee
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Mix dry and wet (with coffee) separately and then add wet to dry - simples icon_smile.gif

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 5:11pm
post #90 of 90

Thank you so much nanefy for sharing your recipe. Im sure going to give it a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%