Half-Sheet Cake Size?

Decorating By dmich Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 4:43am by dmich

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 12:22am
post #1 of 8

I'm looking at different half-sheet cake pans and the size seems to vary. I've seen 11x15, 12x18...getting confused! What is a standard half-sheet size?

7 replies
something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 12:37am
post #2 of 8

I use the 11x15 for my 1/2 but from what I have seen on here, the 12x18 is technically the "correct size" for a 1/2. But the 1/2 sheet cake boards I have don't fit the 12x18 either. I know that doesn't really help, but that is what I do. icon_biggrin.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 12:38am
post #3 of 8

Well, my quarter sheet is 9x13, so 11x15 doesn't seem quite right. I think 12x18.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:11am
post #4 of 8

The terms "Half" and "full" stem from commercial bakery pans that are (I believe) 18x26. If you cut it in half, you have an 18x13 ... cut that in half (now you have 4 quarters) and you have 9x13.

That said, for those who are enamored with using those terms ..... I refuse to use them. I am amazed, when people ask "how much for a half sheet?", and I ask them "how big is that?" ... that they say "I don't know." SO HOW DO THEY KNOW HOW MUCH CAKE THEY ARE ORDERING THEN???? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

One guy asked for pricing for a full sheet cake. My standard reply: How many people do you want to feed? his answer? "10". yeah ... the guy asked for pricing for a FULL sheet cake to feed 10 people. icon_confused.gif

They use the terms and they've no idea. I guess they think it's cool to use industry lingo or something.

So I refuse to use the terms. I ask how many people they are planning on feeding and I recommend the size that will work for that.

Dont' get hung up on "industry lingo". icon_wink.gif

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:53am
post #5 of 8

I agree with debi, I ask how many people they want to serve and I go off of that for size and price. That is more important the naming your sizes anyway.

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:42am
post #6 of 8

I always ask how many they would like to serve also. However, if you are wanting to use the 1/4 sheet, 1/2 sheet (more people in my area tend to do that) then this is what I have experienced and been told:

1/4 sheet = 9x13
1/3 sheet = 11x15
1/2 sheet = 12x18
2/3 sheet = (2) 11x15 = 15x22
full sheet = (2) 12x18 = 18x24

Unless you order the commercial sheet pans, this is what you have and get.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:01am
post #7 of 8

just throwing this out there since you are pan shopping, I found magic line pans on Amazon for a really good price.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:43am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all for all of the advice. I am on my way to check out Amazon's pans. Debi, I think you're absolutely right about people using industry lingo. I know I've never had a clue what those terms meant and when I ordered a cake, I would always ask to see an example of the size and how many it served.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%