Wilton Master Course

Decorating By Polkadot79 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 2:33am by kissmecakes2009

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 16

I'm considering going to the Master Wilton 2 week course near Chicago in the summer. Has anyone else been? If so, any advice?

I would love to go to a pastry school that specializes in wedding cake design, but afraid to take the jump -- quit my teaching position, no income for 6 months, and about $40K in student loan fees with the current economy. I am just not satisfied or happy teaching high school business anymore. I think I've become obsessed with wanting to pursue this pastry route... icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 16

Scare jump! I can't help you here just tell you that whatever you decide God bless you and prosper you, and my honest opinion, if you do what you like, even if it costs you, you won't regret it at the end of the road, if you don't do what you like, there will always be the: What if?

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 16

I'm curious as to the answer too, Polkadot, because I have also been considering the Master course and am in need of a career change. I thought HR was wanted I wanted 15 years ago . . . today, notsomuch. But it is scary leaving an established career to start all over again.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 16

I did the course in 07. It is very intensive but you learn a lot in the two weeks. I am not sure if it is a magic bullet for a career change though. I still would recommend the course, it is great. The course is set up so that you can do extra evening classes and weekend classes too while you are there. Be prepared for sore hands and fingers, your piping muscles will get a serious workout.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 16

I have been contemplating it too but somehow the ocurse discription sounds rather basic...I am sure with all the talented people who have found it invigorating it must be more than just wilton1,2,3...but somehow I can not decide if it is worth the herculean effort to go to chicago and spend 10 days there, the expense, the effort-is it really really worth it? I know alot of people have said it is totally worth it but there are others who think otherwise...help me decide too!!!!

BakingGirl Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 16

Monkess, it is basically all the Wilton courses rolled into one, but I would think you probably learn a little more on top of that. We did lots of different flowers, lots and lots of different borders and some string work. The best part of it is that you are there for a long time so there is a lot of repetition so the information really sticks, and the tutors are the best of the best. The additional courses they offered while I was there was basic fondant and also a gumpaste class. There were some weekend classes too which I did not do. I did not do the fondant class, but it looked pretty basic. I did the gumpaste class which was OK, but I had done a class in the past with Colette Peters which was better.

Polkadot79 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:27am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldag0615

Scare jump! I can't help you here just tell you that whatever you decide God bless you and prosper you, and my honest opinion, if you do what you like, even if it costs you, you won't regret it at the end of the road, if you don't do what you like, there will always be the: What if?

Exactly what a friend was advising me...regret will make a person bitter and disgruntled. I don't want to be a burned out teacher 20 years from now that hates her job. This is my 5th year teaching. At this point, I don't really plan on just quitting my job. I have considered asking for a semester off to attend a pastry school. I've looked in the French Pastry in Chicago. I could start in Jan 2010 and it would only take 6 months. Anyone know anything about it?

Polkadot79 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:29am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

I did the course in 07. It is very intensive but you learn a lot in the two weeks. I am not sure if it is a magic bullet for a career change though. I still would recommend the course, it is great. The course is set up so that you can do extra evening classes and weekend classes too while you are there. Be prepared for sore hands and fingers, your piping muscles will get a serious workout.

Yeah, I agree. It wouldn't be all I needed for a career change, but it would at least satisfy my curiousity until I decide whether not to go to pastry school *obsessed with the idea currently*... icon_biggrin.gif

BakingGirl Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:21pm
post #9 of 16

Polkadot79,

The Notter Pastry School in Orlando, Florida also runs a 6 months pastry chef course which looks great. I have attended the school for a couple of Colette Peters classes and I liked it very much.

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:22pm
post #10 of 16

Polkadot79 God bless you and prosper you in whatever direction you choose to go.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 16

BakingGirl-hmm...sounds familiar, I dunno it is a BIG BIG effort for me to go to the master course..locally we have very nice renowned cake artists who also offer classes; since I have already done all Wiltons then maybe I should do these instead, its a different methodolgy...

Polkadot79 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:15pm
post #12 of 16

Anyone know of anyone interested in the June 1 - 12 course?

I'm still seriously contemplating it, but would love to find someone to room with for the almost 2 week stay.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:10am
post #13 of 16

this thread has been very interesting to read. I've always wanted to take the Master course. I've also always wanted to do baking/pastry for a living, but was always told "no" (ex-a**h**e, er, I mean husband). My current and last DH thinks it's fantabulous and I should completely make a career change. (Go me for being smart the 2nd time around, eh?) So yeah, I wanna the answer, too...

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:17am
post #14 of 16

I would love to do that too.Too far for me and a bit pricey right now.

Debbie45628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie45628 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:15am
post #15 of 16

Have any of you thought about taking Earlene Moores class in June. Probably some of the same obsticals...the flight, hotel and about 4 days away. Shes a good decorator. I am having the same delimia and have asked everyone I can where to go locally to get the advanced techniques and haven't found anyplace. I've had all the Wilton ones several times with several different instructors....maily because I've had big gaps in decorating and Wilton classes are a relatively cheap way to brush up. Debbie

kissmecakes2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissmecakes2009 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:33am
post #16 of 16

I attended the Wilton Master Course in April and loved it. It's very fast paced and very intense, but it's so much fun and you learn so much! The decorating techniques are explained very well, and you pick up on a LOT of little things that are so important. Your hands end up very sore. There are dummy cakes all over the facility and they have a great resource area with lots of inspiration.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%