Wasc

Decorating By lifonahil Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 6:53am by firehorse

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 5:45am
post #1 of 7

I made this and the cake tasted wonderful. But it had alot of holes in it. Did i do something wrong to get so many holes in the finished cake?

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 5:59am
post #2 of 7

Improper mixing (usually overmixing) causes a lot of problems. icon_sad.gif

Here are some handy cake troubleshooting charts:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

http://tinyurl.com/32goqe

http://tinyurl.com/6c745g

http://tinyurl.com/6lpjww

When I make any of the WASC cake recipes, I sift all the dry ingredients together into a large bowl, and mix all the wet ingredients in a second larger bowl.

Then I add the dry to the wet and beat for 2 mins. using a hand mixer at medium speed.

If using a stand mixer, I would mix at the lowest speed for 2 mins. or less.

(If you add the wet to the dry ingredients more care must be taken so no "dry" spots are left on the bottom of the bowl.)

HTH

firehorse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firehorse Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 6:26am
post #3 of 7

I know this is a very dumb question but it's been bugging me for awhile. What does WASC stand for? I can figure out most of the acronyms but not this one! thanks

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 8:31am
post #4 of 7

It's the White Almond Sour Cream Cake

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 7

Holes in the baked cake usually indicate the batter was too thick &/or you did not 'bounce' the pan w/batter in it on the counter until the bubbles come to the top & break.

.......firehorse said: What is WASC.......

Here is the original recipe:
The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi

1 box cake mix (I prefer Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour*
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful if you use a wire whisk, but optional. It's important w/choco cake not so much for other flavors.
In mixer bowl place next 3 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes. Some tell me they just dump all ingredients into the bowl together. Some tell me they sift all dry ingredients together.
Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.

*NOTES: any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry/almond for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
You can use milk or cream for the liquid.
This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 to mix the batter.
Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR one 8" & two 6" round;OR two 8"rounds OR a 12" round; and other combinations of pans.
I prefer to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked. After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
Some people have told me they use plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
I've always used all purpose flour. Some tell me they use cake flour but then the amount is less - maybe 3/4 cup - not sure.
Some tell me they just dump all ingredients into the bowl together.
Some tell me they sift all dry ingredients together.

The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
1 part vanilla extract
1/2 part butter flavoring
1/4 part almond flavoring

A "Part" is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart.

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:01am
post #6 of 7

You all make my day. Thank you so much. I am gonna be making this again in the morning so i am excited. Cant wait to try all the new tricks.

firehorse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firehorse Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 6:53am
post #7 of 7

Ah.....mystery solved. thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%