How To Store Bulk Dry Ingredients

Decorating By kutabby Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 8:03pm by 7yyrt

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 4:25am
post #1 of 5

Right now I am storing my sugars & flour in a rubbermaid container. Do I need to get something specifically made to store food? Do I need to keep my flour and sugars seperate?
Thanks!

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 4:53am
post #2 of 5

You should be using containers that are NSF rated (rated for food safety). What do you mean by "separate", 'coz I assume they're already in separate containers? icon_confused.gif

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks! I will look into getting some NSF rated storage.
I think I'm doing it all wrong right now icon_smile.gif I've got the pwd sugar and white sugar in their bags, in the rubbermaid tub and the flour is in another tub. I guessing when I get the NSF containers that I'll pour them into their own containers - one for pwd sugar, one for white sugar and one for flour.
Is that more clear? Sorry, most of the time I'm trying to type while my kids are trying to get my attention away from the computer icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 5

Nothing wrong w/keeping the items in their original pkg'ing. You are doing it just fine. Are you a licensed shop that the HD will come ck'ing on?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 5

I use 5 gallon buckets lined with mylar, just like you would for long term food storage (except that I don't heat-seal the bags.) I try to get my flour out of the original bags, because bugs like to lay their eggs in the seams.
Of course, it takes me a while to use up a 50 pound bag of flour. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%