Wedding Cake To Go With This Dress?

Decorating By LisaR64 Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 12:55am by LisaR64

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 12:34am
post #1 of 16

A friend asked me to make a cake for her wedding (100 servings). I'm a little nervous about making a wedding cake, since I've never done one, but I just finished watching my 3 new SugarShack DVD's and can't wait to try some of her wonderful techniques.

She's leaving the design up to me, but wants something fairly "simple". I think her dress is gorgeous, and would love to come up with a cake design that coordinates with her dress colors (white w/red trim). I attached a picture for reference.

If anyone has any design ideas they are willing to share, I would love to see them. Design is not my strong point. Thanks!
LL

15 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 12:51am
post #2 of 16

That dress is so awesome, my SIL-to-be looked at it too! Gorgeous!

What about a very simple, smooth white cake with a claret swag going down the front to mimic the flow of the claret part of the dress? I know on the dress it's technically the back, but, you get my aim here.

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 12:58am
post #3 of 16

I love swags, the swag idea is great. Another one may be white with a red trim and a bow to finish it off in red. Also I saw one where they had the buttons going down the cake to mimic the back of the dress, so you could also do something like that too. But I cannot tell by the picture if that is buttons on the back, or just lace.

minerva16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minerva16 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 1:06am
post #4 of 16

I thought I had seen a cake for this dress before and i did a search for wedding dress cake and found it. I am going to try to post a link for a pic of the dress but if it doesn't work just do a search.

Lord knows I can't tell you how to make it so I hope the pic helps or someone else can give you advice.

Good Luck!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=956213

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 1:07am
post #5 of 16

I like the idea of swag draped down the tiers in a similar claret color too. You could pipe a similar pattern along the edges after you drape it. I think it would be stunning!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 1:10am
post #6 of 16

The back of the dress has a lace up string, but I don't think it had any buttons. I can't recall!

Oh minerva, that is awesome! Someone spent a lot of time on that one! That would be cool too!

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 1:30am
post #7 of 16

How about a simple 3 tier cake with a wine colored(color of the red in her dress) satin ribbon around the bottom of each tier. You could even incorporate the scrolling in the dress into the cake! I think that would be nice and simple! Good luck with your cake!!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1289710

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=83954 thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

DMCG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMCG Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 1:44am
post #8 of 16

cakebaker1978 has a great idea.

My cousin got married last year, and wore this gown but in a very pretty green. I did a 3 tier hexagon, with swiss dots, and did green orchids to incorporate the color.

Good luck, and post the picts!!

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 1:44am
post #9 of 16

What a dress!
And what fun to make the cake!

I think the simple cakes that cakebaker shared are wonderful compliments to such a fabulous dress! Simple elegance...

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:11am
post #10 of 16

ooh i got one! it was actually based on that same dress for a bride a couple of years ago:

on cc: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=392563

on my site w a close up: http://www.spdak.com/photo%20gallery/Wedding%20fond%20page%202_files/image026.jpg

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:12am
post #11 of 16

How about just the satiny white and instead of white scroll design do it in the claret and add a bow on the bottom tier

Cupcakeluv24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeluv24 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:23am
post #12 of 16

THAT IS MY MOST FAVORITE DRESS!! I HAVE BEEN ADMIRING IT FOR YEARS!!! I love the cake that minerva16 posted!

This cake is going to be beautiful no matter what you choose to do!
Cupcake

LisaR64 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:45am
post #13 of 16

Thank you so much everybody!!! There is so much talent on CC.... I just knew you guys would have lots of great ideas. Now the tough part is going to be deciding which direction to take, being as I love every single idea mentioned so far.

fabbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabbo Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:47pm
post #14 of 16

I made the cake minerva showed the link to (How do you do that? I haven't figured that out yet). I'm flattered you guys like it so much. It did take some time. I covered the cakes in white satin ice. I then used red satin ice and made the trianglish shapes for the top and the long one on the bottom. I then made strips of the red to rim the top and along the trianglish shapeswhere you see it. I used white pieces butted up against the red on the bottom for the skirt. I used royal icing for the embroidery painted with silver when dried. The buttons down the back were just tiny dots of the red fondant. The laces were just the red fondant as well. I hope this helps.

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:04pm
post #15 of 16

I love the cake that KoryAk posted. So elegant and compliments the dress perfectly. IMHO Good luck and looking forward to some pictures.

LisaR64 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 12:55am
post #16 of 16

Fabbo, thank you so much for the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%