Quitting Business, Selling Equipment, Need Pricing Help

Business By brnrlvr Updated 8 Jan 2009 , 11:16pm by brnrlvr

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 13

I have decided to quit the cake business and am selling all my equipment. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to figure out how to price it? Things like a Dulex oven, commercial fridge, freezer, etc bought new 2 years ago and used stuff like a 20 qt mixer.

12 replies
Cupcakeluv24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeluv24 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 13

maybe you could look in to auctions. Check out what it is going for now and go from there, as far as what to charge I cant help you there.

cupcake

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 13

I think putting your stuff in an auction is a good idea..the only thing you just never know how much money you are going to get for each item.

The only other thought that I have is that you could figure out what you paid for each item and then do a little depreciation and come up with a selling price.

Goodluck!

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 13

I know when I was looking for used equipment the first place I went was Craigslist....and I searched the whole state - not just my area.

I have to say I was a little disappointed in what people advertised as "in good (or clean) condition" was stuff I wouldn't even consider putting in my kitchen!

If you list your items make sure to have pictures. And the cleaner the better!

Good luck.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 13

You could always compare other local businesses on craigslist.com to see what they are selling used equipment, etc. Interested parties then contact you directly; although, I am unsure if there is a fee associated with advertising on this website. One pro.... it draws local business.
Best wishes!
~ Jaime

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 13

Hi, have you looked into selling your business? You can sell the name,
website, equipment and goodwill of the business. You could have an asset sale. You may want to contact a business broker for a business evaluation. It doesn't cost anything.

Other wise, I would figure out what you paid and sell it for a little less. I would not do an auction as you would get a lot less.
I would run ads in the larger city newspapers, Craigs list, E-bay, etc.

People will jump on a used DeLuxe oven, mixer, etc. Too bad you are so far from Florida. I need another fridge.

You will do fine. Just let people know what you have. Don't give it away, you don't have to!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 12:19am
post #7 of 13

well...I would like to suggest you 'pay if forward' with that 20qt. mixer.. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 13

I'm sorry you're closing up. I wish you were closer to Arkansas.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 11:05pm
post #9 of 13

one thing that a local bakery did when they went out of business was to host two or three "liquidation days". Basically, they had all their stuff, you came in and made them an offer. First come first serve, and if they didn't like the offer, they turned it down.

I know that they got more money for stuff than if they did an auction, which they did do with anything that was left over.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 11:48pm
post #10 of 13

you could also call local bakeries in the area and tell them you are closing up and have equipment for sale, they may just need to replace something or need an extra one. also if you know your health inspector he too could let the people know who are in the planning stages of opening a business that this busines is closing down and has such and such.

Just my opinion on electrical stuff i wouldn;t consider buying it unless is was at least 50% cheaper then newm unless of course the warranty is transferable to a new owner.
good luck and im sorry to hear your having to close shop.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 12:52am
post #11 of 13

if you were closer i'd buy the mixer...

have you thought about ebay?...some peeps will travel to get stuff.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 1:23pm
post #12 of 13

Where are you at in Wisconsin?

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 11:16pm
post #13 of 13

hee hee, Pay it forward!...

Thanks for all the suggestions! What do you think about the little stuff? Like pans, decorations stuff, airbrush, sugar box? Group it togeather? Do it separately?

I am in Menonomie, Wi.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%